• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suggestions for outfit please (1 Viewer)

JLPritchard

I want to get into digiscoping for both birds and ships (latter about 2-3 miles distant at times). I comfortably have about $2000 US to invest - possibly slightly more.

My ideal would be a Swarovski ATX 95mm but at $5000 for the setup, toooo much.

First, let me say I am not a pixel peeper and I am not a professional. I have 65 year old eyes that can barely discern any difference between an alpha binocular and a high quality binocular. I do not expect to print large poster size pictures but I want to be able to do up to or better than 16"X20" on occasion.

So my question, I have a good micro 4/3 camera - Olympus E-PM2 - but no idea whether I should go with it and a good spotting scope or whether I should sell it & go with a camera better suited to digiscoping.

What I want: a very easy to use setup where I can attach my camera to the spotting scope securely, and remove it easily, like the Swarovski ATX. I want a very good spotting scope of at least 85mm because the light is often not good where I live.

Who is using a very good camera/spotting scope combination that meets my wants for distance, $$$$, image quality & EASE OF USE? Suggestions appreciated by this novice.

Especially unclear about the lens/no lens issue. I think the ATX adapter has a pancake lens so all the focusing is done by the scope rather than the camera. That would be my ideal.

Also, what are pros and cons of digiscoping with straight versus angled scope?

Last edited:
I want to get into digiscoping for both birds and ships (latter about 2-3 miles distant at times). I comfortably have about $2000 US to invest - possibly slightly more.

My ideal would be a Swarovski ATX 95mm but at $5000 for the setup, toooo much.

First, let me say I am not a pixel peeper and I am not a professional. I have 65 year old eyes that can barely discern any difference between an alpha binocular and a high quality binocular. I do not expect to print large poster size pictures but I want to be able to do up to or better than 16"X20" on occasion.

So my question, I have a good micro 4/3 camera - Olympus E-PM2 - but no idea whether I should go with it and a good spotting scope or whether I should sell it & go with a camera better suited to digiscoping.

What I want: a very easy to use setup where I can attach my camera to the spotting scope securely, and remove it easily, like the Swarovski ATX. I want a very good spotting scope of at least 85mm because the light is often not good where I live.

Who is using a very good camera/spotting scope combination that meets my wants for distance, $$$$, image quality & EASE OF USE? Suggestions appreciated by this novice.

Especially unclear about the lens/no lens issue. I think the ATX adapter has a pancake lens so all the focusing is done by the scope rather than the camera. That would be my ideal.

Also, what are pros and cons of digiscoping with straight versus angled scope?

If the new Swarovskis are out of your price range have a look at the Kowa 88 series scopes or the Nikons. Check the threads in this forum.
With a straight scope it is faster to get on the subject but best used sitting down so that the tripod doesn't need to be too high.
Your camera should do a good job of taking photos through a scope.
Neil.

Sadly....it starts this way "First, let me say I am not a pixel peeper '...but like any person who just gets into a hobby, any hobby....it never ends up that the person is just satisfied with mediocrity....

Try a Vortex Razor and get the fixings of digiscoping. For the money, Vortex is a good value priced scope.

Thanks for the input. I can get a good deal on a Leica 82mm HD and I might go there.

Question: how much difference in brightness between an angled versus a straight scope? I understand prisms come into play here.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back