• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony NEX5 for digiscoping (1 Viewer)

The adapter for the new Nikon V1 will allow Auto Focus with Nikon AFS lenses. This is not digiscoping but you are getting into digiscoping territory with a 300/4 plus 1.4x = 1134 mms.
Once you've used an Electronic Viewfinder you can't go back. The ones on the Fuji X100 and Nikon V1 are excellent.
Neil

Thanks Neil - I was thinking specific to the NEX5 (or NEX5N). The viewfinder would be a good addition to digiscoping then?

After seeing this post http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=225964 I found this lens was designed for NEX system. Anyone is using it in digiscopy?
Besides being cheaper, is smaller then the Sony 30SEL and the black colour would look better also...
Still didn't decided what to use in digiscopy with the NEX5 but I'm enjoying it with the TMB92.
Enclose 2 of my favourite photos from February / March, my photo season...

Attachments

• clypeata1.JPG
    clypeata1.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 229
  • clypeata.JPG
    clypeata.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 275
Nice pictures DRodrigues, I have the Sony 30mm. The sharpness is very good. I always manually focusing. The distance from the pictures of Milvus milvus is approximately 25m. The picture of the Grey Heron is the Minolta MC Rokkor made ​​1:2.8 35mm W, distance 50-60m. The lens seems well suited. The light was not good. I'll take more pictures.

Attachments

• DSC04907 Rotmilan-klein.jpg
    DSC04907 Rotmilan-klein.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 294
  • DSC05308 Graureiher Sissach.jpg
    DSC05308 Graureiher Sissach.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 369
Nice pictures DRodrigues, I have the Sony 30mm. The sharpness is very good. I always manually focusing. The distance from the pictures of Milvus milvus is approximately 25m. The picture of the Grey Heron is the Minolta MC Rokkor made ​​1:2.8 35mm W, distance 50-60m. The lens seems well suited. The light was not good. I'll take more pictures.

Love the Grey Heron image.
Neil

Sony Nex5N mit Voigtländer Ultron 40mm

Hello
I've bought a Voigtlander Ultron 40mm lens. The lens works very well with all my Swarovski eyepieces 30x / 45x / 20-60mm. I use the UCA adapter. Compared with the Sony 30mm Macro, the Ultron is better from center to the edge. The lens is very compact. Here are two pictures of the Ultron with the 30x eyepiece, about 25m

Attachments

• DSC06822 Jagdfasan.jpg
    DSC06822 Jagdfasan.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 248
  • DSC06824 Jagdfasan.jpg
    DSC06824 Jagdfasan.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 257
Hello
I've bought a Voigtlander Ultron 40mm lens. The lens works very well with all my Swarovski eyepieces 30x / 45x / 20-60mm. I use the UCA adapter. Compared with the Sony 30mm Macro, the Ultron is better from center to the edge. The lens is very compact. Here are two pictures of the Ultron with the 30x eyepiece, about 25m

The colour looks great. Nice one.
Neil

Digiscopy with standard zoom and Delos 17.3mm

On my search for best eyepiece/telescope combos for cr-birding I received a TV Delos 17.3mm. I remembered to test it for digiscopy with the standard zoom lens of my NEX5 and it resulted on very low vignetting at lower 18mm.
Pentax XW20 might also work well but on my 5mm it vignettes a bit more than Delos - beware that I was using my Optolyth 100 so resulting scope magnification is 126x...
So when I will need to digiscopy wile doing cr-biriding the Delos 17.3mm is my new preferred choice but using the TMB92 + Nikon FSA-L2...:king: http://www.pt-ducks.com/cr-telescopes.htm#Nikon_FSA-L2
All photos hand held and just reduced to 1400 and 75% quality - no crop or digital treatment.

Does someone already tested the 16-50mm compact zoom for digiscopy?
Does someone already tested the NEX5R for digiscopy? How was autofocus?

Attachments

• NEX5_18_Delos17.3.JPG
    NEX5_18_Delos17.3.JPG
    383.4 KB · Views: 142
  • NEX5_55_Delos17.3.JPG
    NEX5_55_Delos17.3.JPG
    292.8 KB · Views: 139
  • NEX5_18_XW5.JPG
    NEX5_18_XW5.JPG
    330 KB · Views: 146
So when I will need to digiscopy wile doing cr-biriding the Delos 17.3mm is my new preferred choice but using the TMB92 + Nikon FSA-L2...:king: http://www.pt-ducks.com/cr-telescopes.htm#Nikon_FSA-L2
No one asked but I answer anyway... Why I prefer, because with this combo there is no vignetting at all (the FSA-L2 increases the eye-relief), minimum magnification is 29x vs. 36x on the Optolyth 100, and I have a 3.5x zoom without vignetting!

The first photo is no crop and is to show that there is no vignetting and the second is a crop. Birds at about 190m!

Attachments

• Ardea_cinerea_Taipal_fight.JPG
    Ardea_cinerea_Taipal_fight.JPG
    366.8 KB · Views: 153
  • Ardea_cinerea_Taipal_pair_nest.JPG
    Ardea_cinerea_Taipal_pair_nest.JPG
    441.4 KB · Views: 146
No one asked but I answer anyway... Why I prefer, because with this combo there is no vignetting at all (the FSA-L2 increases the eye-relief), minimum magnification is 29x vs. 36x on the Optolyth 100, and I have a 3.5x zoom without vignetting!

The first photo is no crop and is to show that there is no vignetting and the second is a crop. Birds at about 190m!

David,
Impressive setup and well explained in your blog.
Looking at the length of the extensions you may be getting a little bit of flex. I would more comfortable with some support under to camera end to keep the whole setup straight and minimise vibrations.
Neil.

Best ep to digiscopy with standard zoom

Although still not disgiscopied with the Delos at optimum distances, it seemed that the image quality wasn't much good, even with the reduced vignetting.
Today I managed to compare the image distortion resulting from the Delos and other eps, and confirmed my suspicions. Enclose the Delos, the Telescope Service SuperView 30mm 2", and the Vixen NLV40mm results, with the Optolyth 100 and the NEX5 with the standard 18-55 zoom (the 2" needed a special adapter SC to T thread - used without the 2" barrel). Although will compare again the 2" ep with the Vixen, on filed conditions, for now the Vixen is the best eyepiece for digiscopy with this combo...
Photos only scaled to 1400 and 90% quality. The Vixen photos were made latter so had to use auto program instead speed priority.

Attachments

• Delos17_NEX5_18_55.JPG
    Delos17_NEX5_18_55.JPG
    237.3 KB · Views: 95
  • TS_SuperView30_2inch_NEX5_18_55.JPG
    TS_SuperView30_2inch_NEX5_18_55.JPG
    213.1 KB · Views: 84
  • TS_SuperView30_2inch_NEX5_18_55a.JPG
    TS_SuperView30_2inch_NEX5_18_55a.JPG
    243.9 KB · Views: 109
  • Vixen_NLV40_NEX5_18_55.JPG
    Vixen_NLV40_NEX5_18_55.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 94
  • Vixen_NLV40_NEX5_18_55a.JPG
    Vixen_NLV40_NEX5_18_55a.JPG
    216.8 KB · Views: 98
16-50mm compact zoom

Today I saw the new 16-50mm compact zoom in a store and it might be better for digiscopy since the lens are smaller. Got even more curious how it performs on digiscopy.

New hybrid focus system can also be faster on digiscopy - dpreview released a review of the NEX6 http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-nex-6

Does someone already tested the NEX5R/NEX6 for digiscopy? How was autofocus?

Today I saw the new 16-50mm compact zoom in a store and it might be better for digiscopy since the lens are smaller. Got even more curious how it performs on digiscopy.

New hybrid focus system can also be faster on digiscopy - dpreview released a review of the NEX6 http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-alpha-nex-6

Does someone already tested the NEX5R/NEX6 for digiscopy? How was autofocus?

I've put some images with the 16-50 zoom on the Nex 6 thread
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=269889
It works well.
Neil.

I was waiting for a new version of the NEX5 with an higher resolution and improved sensor. Well there it is http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/0...news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_9#press but I think that I will wait for the replacement of the NEX6 since the new a5000 has a screen with half of the resolution of the NEX5....:-C

After all it seems that dpreview was wrong and the a5000 is replacing the NEX3. Will see if the NEX5 will have a replacement and how will be the details of models replacing the NEX6 and NEX7...

After all it seems that dpreview was wrong and the a5000 is replacing the NEX3. Will see if the NEX5 will have a replacement and how will be the details of models replacing the NEX6 and NEX7...

David,
We are getting close to the limit of significant improvements . The difference between the Nex 7 and Nex 6 are only minor , although the extra megs on Nex7 can be useful.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back