• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7 x 42 EDG and CA (1 Viewer)

For those that have an WDG 7 X 42, how much (if any) CA is visible in these binos?

Some off-axis CA can be traced since the eyepieces don't have ED glass. It does change with gaze angle and is by no means objectionable.
The view is superb with very good edge sharpness and the famous Nikon-style saturated colours. The big exit pupil also makes them fantastic in deep dusk.

I have some issues, though, with IPD setting and eye relief which together make these considerably slower in use than (for example) the Vortex Fury 6.5x32.
An IPD lock like the one Vortex used to sell would probably solve this, since the central hinge tension is less than I prefer.

Can't really decide whether I like the EDG 7x42 or the E II 8x30 the best.
Granted, the EDG is way more allround, being waterproof and insensitive to cold weather. Grab one while you can!

//L

EDG 7x42 CA Control

For those that have an EDG 7 X 42, how much (if any) CA is visible in these binos?

My Nikon EDG II 7x42 controls lateral CA extremely well, in my opinion; it's as good in this regard as the Zeiss 7x42 TFL, which (again, IMO) is one of the absolute best for CA control. If I work really hard at it I can detect a hint of CA at the far edge of the field, but for all practical purposes it's nonexistent. I consider the EDG II 7x42 one of the best 7x42's out there. Hope this helps.

CA is extremely low with the 7x42 EDG. Only around the outer 10% of the field can I notice it and that is only if I look for it.

I am a bit surprised that CA is discussed regarding 7x binocular. I have hardly ever noticed any CA in my Swarovski SLC 7x42, maybe not in any other binocular at "normal" handhold magnifications either. I just know that CA really becomes noticable when the magnification increases in short focal ratio achromats. Am I unusual unsensitive to CA or?

I just spent a week of nearly all day use of my 7x42 EDG I.

I wasn't bird watching, but watching Magpie's in a full morning sun raiding a dog dish in camp - I wasn't able to detect any on-axis CA (purple fringing) but did notice it off-axis.

The CA (purple fringing) started to show up about 50% of the way from the center to the edge.

I've always considered myself sensitive to CA...

With the 7x42 EDG I find the center of this binocular wonderful and anything beyond that a bit uncomfortable and straining on the eyes, more than many other binoculars I have used. Not sure why this is??

Also, something else I'm discovering is that a 420' fov in an 8x package feels generous to me, but in the 7x42 EDG it feels a slight bit narrow.

CG

Last edited:
:king:
I am a bit surprised that CA is discussed regarding 7x binocular. I have hardly ever noticed any CA in my Swarovski SLC 7x42, maybe not in any other binocular at "normal" handhold magnifications either. I just know that CA really becomes noticable when the magnification increases in short focal ratio achromats. Am I unusual unsensitive to CA or?

I think you represent the norm among binocular users.

Bob

I just spent a week of nearly all day use of my 7x42 EDG I.

I wasn't bird watching, but watching Magpie's in a full morning sun raiding a dog dish in camp - I wasn't able to detect any on-axis CA (purple fringing) but did notice it off-axis.

The CA (purple fringing) started to show up about 50% of the way from the center to the edge.

I've always considered myself sensitive to CA...

With the 7x42 EDG I find the center of this binocular wonderful and anything beyond that a bit uncomfortable and straining on the eyes, more than many other binoculars I have used. Not sure why this is??

Also, something else I'm discovering is that a 420' fov in an 8x package feels generous to me, but in the 7x42 EDG it feels a slight bit narrow.

CG

CG

You are in Colorado and are short of oxygen due to the altitude.

This explains everything :smoke:

Lee

I'd call myself fairly tolerant of CA as below a certain level I seen to be able to switch on or switch off "seeing" it. I've not tried the SLC 7x42 but it's been detectable in virtually every binocular I've tried including the current Swarovski range, though I would class most of those as low for CA. The one binocular I haven't got to misbehave yet is the Kowa Genesis, but I imagine it would still be possible to catch it out in the right light conditions.

David

CG

You are in Colorado and are short of oxygen due to the altitude.

This explains everything :smoke:

Lee

Ha Ha Ha,.... knew this would draw some fire...

Is that guy smoking a cigar or??? You know, it is legal here for medical and recreational use and is readily available at any of the dispensaries that popped up all over the place...

The mile high city has taken on new meaning! |:(|

CG

Hi,

Saw your comment about the unsatisfactory hinge tension in your 7x42 EDG. I recently purchased a used pair of 8x42s perfect in every way other than a "loose" hinge. I was able to adjust easily (<5 minutes) with an inexpensive camera wrench/spanner and now the tension is perfect.

You may already know about this "fix" but, if not, drop me a note and I'll point you to the correct spanner and and provide the trivially-simple steps.

Best regards,

Tony Brogden

Hi,

Saw your comment about the unsatisfactory hinge tension in your 7x42 EDG. I recently purchased a used pair of 8x42s perfect in every way other than a "loose" hinge. I was able to adjust easily (<5 minutes) with an inexpensive camera wrench/spanner and now the tension is perfect.

You may already know about this "fix" but, if not, drop me a note and I'll point you to the correct spanner and and provide the trivially-simple steps.

Best regards,

Tony Brogden

Mmmmmm...<5 minutes?

It took some customers more than 5 minutes to digest the bill for this "repairwork", so could you make them (and me) happy to disclosure it in the open?

Thanks

Jan

Sorry...didn't realize there was an existing thread.

I found that a slotted screwdriver with a 1.5mm blade width was a perfect fit for the set screw. Backing the set screw out by approximately 1.5 revolutions was sufficient.

The only other note is that when using the spanner to tighten, don't expect much rotation...it is more of of a "snugging up" than any real rotation. That snugging was sufficient to take my EDG II 8x42s from essentially unusable to near perfect.

Regards,

Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back