• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Macro lenses for Nikon D50 (1 Viewer)

martinf

A very vague question! Anyone have a ny recommendations for macro lenses compatable with the Nikon D50 and that are (reasonably) well priced?

The Tamron 90mm F2.8 always comes out well in reviews and at least two pro nature photographers speak highly of it:

http://www.nnplus.de/macro/Macro100E.html

The Nikon 60mm is a beautiful lens, though the short focal length is not ideal for insects. An old used 55mm F2.8 micro lens would not be expensive, and would give excellent optical quality. But you would need to guess the exposure and then check the histograms, and reshoot if needed. But for macro that is not such a problem. The lack of autofocus should not be an issue either.

Or you could keep your eyes open for offers at places such as Warehouse Express.

Leif

martinf said:
A very vague question! Anyone have a ny recommendations for macro lenses compatable with the Nikon D50 and that are (reasonably) well priced?

I have just moved into Closeup/Macro and bought the new Sigma 150 after reading rave reviews from a lot of users. It is used either on the my Nikon D50 or the D70 and produces cracking results. It is well built and not too large and I managed to get it for around £400. The working distance is longer that the Tamron 90 and the Sigma is internal focus which is an advantage. No expert with this setup (D50+Sigma 150), but like the results produced so far. Don't think you would be disappointed if you went for this lens.

Cheers

Stuart R

Attachments

• DSC_0024resize.jpg
    DSC_0024resize.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 249
  • DSC_0029re.jpg
    DSC_0029re.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back