• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CR BinoBirding (1 Viewer)

DRodrigues

I reached a solution for using both eyes on birding, with good image quality and possibility of going over 100x :eek!: - see it at http://www.pt-ducks.com/cr-telescopes.htm#CR-binoviewing

I had a chance to compare the combo with a Swarosvky 80 HD with the new 25-50x zoom and I prefer the views through the present bino-combo - 2 eyes and the higher magnifications are another dimension of cr-birding!!! For birding the same is true since the "bino effect" is increased on closer distances.
The user of the Swaro also liked the resulting image quality...

Enjoy!

increasing field

Today I tested a TeleVue RFL-4087 - a field flattener and 0.8x reducer and it worked fine, producing even better image quality at lower magnifications on the bino-combo. For those searching for larger fields might be interesting. Got curious to see if the TV TRF-2008 will work even better...

To BTX or not to BTX?

Today I updated my http://www.pt-ducks.com/cr-telescope...CR-binoviewing info with a BTX small test and comparing it to my STX as also to my CR-binoview combo. I found some interesting points that no one mentioned until now:
- there is absolutely no ghost images at all!!!;
- within some lowlight conditions the BTX bested my STX!
More info and photos at the page.

Was interesting to notice that I started this post on 2010 and the last time I updated the link above was on 14-08-2012 - Swarovski took long time to give me a reply...3:)
I must thank Swarovski for start to produce the BTX since the reply from the concurrence will be interesting - the bar was set high...:t:

Attachments

• TMB_vs_BTX.JPG
    TMB_vs_BTX.JPG
    481.7 KB · Views: 98
Hi David!

there is a "new" line of ed binos from apm/lunt, the guy of cloudy nights, much cheaper than the kowa docters etc :t:

I think the apm 82 is same price than the btx module.

Last edited:
With the XW20

My first reply to the Swaro BTX http://www.pt-ducks.com/cr-telescopes.htm#To_BTX_or_not_to_BTX
Using a pair of Pentax XW20 that have 70º AFOV, I manage to get a 43-141x zoom, with a TFOV at minimum magnification that is >28% than the one of the X95 with the 1,7 extender!...:king:
I compared this weekend to the Swaro X95+1,7x extender, resighting marked duck and it works great!
However, I wish Swarovski would produce a straight version of the BTX with zooming capacity...o:D
Zeiss might will produce a Harpia binoviewer with zoom first http://www.pt-ducks.com/cr-telescopes.htm#Swarovski_X95_vs_Zeiss_Harpia95 but don't produce straight Harpia versions...:-C
Within some weeks I will have another solution that will have higher TFOV than the BTX!

Attachments

• X95_ext_vs_TMB92_FSL2_Bino_XW20.JPG
    X95_ext_vs_TMB92_FSL2_Bino_XW20.JPG
    325.8 KB · Views: 42
With 2" TS 30 mm Superviews

My second reply to the BTX http://www.pt-ducks.com/cr-telescopes.htm#Swarovski_X95_vs_Zeiss_Harpia95
Using a pair of 2" TS 30 mm Superviews that are supposed to have 68º AFOV, I manage to get a 34-112x zoom, with a TFOV at minimum magnification that is >10% larger than the BTX!...:king:

Within some weeks will have a version with even larger TFOV!...;)

Attachments

• TMB92_FLS_L2_Mark_V_TS30_2.JPG
    TMB92_FLS_L2_Mark_V_TS30_2.JPG
    308.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
With a modified Omegon erector

Better than a BTX and straight view!!!...:king:

Still have to improve some details in order I can reach focus at minimum mag (c.a. 17x, with 68º AFOV) and switch to higher mags...;)

Attachments

• TMB92_Omegon_FW_MK5_TS_SV2_30.JPG
    TMB92_Omegon_FW_MK5_TS_SV2_30.JPG
    428.7 KB · Views: 36
Better than a BTX and straight view!!!...:king:

Still have to improve some details in order I can reach focus at minimum mag (c.a. 17x, with 68º AFOV) and switch to higher mags...;)

Hello David,

Remarkable work over the years - your effort is much appreciated.

It may just be my age compromised brain, but I can’t seem to locate an explanation and analysis of the equipment shown in this most recent photo. I see the TMB 92 and the binoviewer, but what else is in there, particularly between the binoviewer and the scope.

Thanks for any help, best to you and keep up the good work!!!

Jerry

HI Jerry,

I'm glad you liked it.
It's not you, I still didn't had time to update the info at cr-telescopes - time available as been too short...
Unfortunately the bino combo doesn't reach focus with the X95 lens module. With the release of the X115, it would be the ideal solution to replace my TMB 92 in the combo.
Will inform after updating the combo info but it will take some time...

All the best,

HI Jerry,

I'm glad you liked it.
It's not you, I still didn't had time to update the info at cr-telescopes - time available as been too short...
Unfortunately the bino combo doesn't reach focus with the X95 lens module. With the release of the X115, it would be the ideal solution to replace my TMB 92 in the combo.
Will inform after updating the combo info but it will take some time...

All the best,
Thanks David. No worries and no hurry for you. Just glad to know my cortex is still functional. Slower, but no mystery gaps!

Best,
Jerry

With a 1.25x Baader GPCs used within the erector and the PMW (using T tubes), I managed to reach focus on all PMW positions, getting estimated magnifications from 24 to 71x, even with the short 65mm focus range of my TMB92!...:cool:

Will post photos and update cr-telescopes page, image erector included, next year...;)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back