• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help for Oldham Area (1 Viewer)

Froggy

Hi folks I am looking for recommendations for the Oldham and surrounding area .
Also any advice for security too .

I am new to birding , was drawn in to it from my photography hobby , and as such I am loving the challenge of capturing birds and birds in flight .
Almost there with my kit , I think ... so any advice there is very gratefully received .

Advice for best approach is welcome too , I have been hiking moorland etc with camera kit trying to find birds .
Just realised that this may not be the best approach and now try and watch the habits of the birds to identify "good spots" , get there at dawn and settle down to wait for activity .
to the above , I have only just got some camo clothing , been walking around in jeans and a modern nylon type coat (doh!) .
Will get some camo scrim netting to cover head and white lens soon too .

Lastly , I am worried about some of the unsavoury human wildlife that sometime frequent the countryside in these areas , especially as I am carrying some expensive camera kit .
Have any of you similar concerns or advice to offer in regard to this ?

Wow that's an awful lot to ask , sorry about that .
I am so grateful for any help you can offer me with my start out at my new hobby :) .

Its not nice going out by yourself I do this often but am always looking over my shoulder, and like you carrying expensive gear around is a problem and always will be that’s why I try and go with a friend but this is not always possible :(
Sadly I don’t know the Oldham area even though I am only a few miles away.

Jim

Hi folks I am looking for recommendations for the Oldham and surrounding area .
Also any advice for security too .

I am new to birding , was drawn in to it from my photography hobby , and as such I am loving the challenge of capturing birds and birds in flight .
Almost there with my kit , I think ... so any advice there is very gratefully received .

Advice for best approach is welcome too , I have been hiking moorland etc with camera kit trying to find birds .
Just realised that this may not be the best approach and now try and watch the habits of the birds to identify "good spots" , get there at dawn and settle down to wait for activity .
to the above , I have only just got some camo clothing , been walking around in jeans and a modern nylon type coat (doh!) .
Will get some camo scrim netting to cover head and white lens soon too .

Lastly , I am worried about some of the unsavoury human wildlife that sometime frequent the countryside in these areas , especially as I am carrying some expensive camera kit .
Have any of you similar concerns or advice to offer in regard to this ?

Wow that's an awful lot to ask , sorry about that .
I am so grateful for any help you can offer me with my start out at my new hobby :) .

Just been around Dovestones today and the Pied Flycatcher was showing well and there has been Ring Ouzel ,Redstart , Cuckoo and there were a couple of pairs of Wheatears, good place to start

Frank

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sleipnerofasgard/

I lived in Oldham for over 30 years and apart from 'on the tops' I can't think of anywhere I'd less like to go birding now.

As a kid we use to climb over the fence of Chadderton Sewage works which was excellent for breeding Little-ringed Plover, Yellow Wagtail and Grey Wagtail. Also several wintering Green Sandpipers. There was also a wooded valley between the Sewage works and the canal which held breeding Willow Tit and Garden Warbler but that's long since been levelled.

You could look at Daisy Nook country park, which is between Failsworth and Ashton. Also in Chadderton the fields between Foxdenton Lane and Broadway may be worth a look, as at one time they had breeding Snipe, Whitethroat and Reed Bunting, also a chance of passage Wheatear and Winchat.

Unfortunately also a chance of passage scum bags, and fortunately I escaped a few years back to Cheshire.

Sorry I'm not painting a great picture.

It's not a false picture though Nab :(

I tend to keep to moorland , and get out of the beaten tracks .
Just have to resign myself to the fact that I should take some holidays with the camera to suitable locations .
Thanks for replying Nab :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back