• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping Cameras ? (1 Viewer)

Ridge Walker

Hello All. I'm a complete newbie wanting to get into Digiscoping. So I'm looking for a suitable camera. Came on here for help, but still confused. I understand all the principles involved, but still worried ending up with an unsuitable camera.
Couldn't there be a list/sticky somewhere with a list of good cameras/bad cameras be more helpful to people such as me :t:

Last edited:
Hello All. I'm a complete newbie wanting to get into Digiscoping. So I'm looking for a suitable camera. Came on here for help, but still confused. I understand all the principles involved, but still worried ending up with an unsuitable camera.
Couldn't there be a list/sticky somewhere with a list of good cameras/bad cameras be more helpful to people such as me :t:

If you look down the first page of the Digiscoping Camera Forum you'll see many of the current cameras that people are using e.g. Nikon V1/2,P330,Sony RX 100/100M2,Nex 5/6/7, Panasonic GX7 and other Gseries. Any DSLR with 35/50 mm lens will work but I find them a bit heavy to use on a scope.
Budget and brand preference will play a part in most decisions.
Neil.

camera

Update!
Thanks for your comments. I just bought a Fuji Finepix AV180 15MP, 3x optical zoom, off the bay for the princely price of £14 posted :t:

Just hope it suitable

Update!
Thanks for your comments. I just bought a Fuji Finepix AV180 15MP, 3x optical zoom, off the bay for the princely price of £14 posted :t:

Just hope it suitable

I've Fujis in the past and they normal have very good lenses. This should work for you.
Let us know how you go.
Neil.

I've Fujis in the past and they normal have very good lenses. This should work for you.
Let us know how you go.
Neil.

I have as my main camera a Finepix 770EXR. It's a camera that's not recommended for a point & shoot novice, You have to work at it to get the results. When you do the pics are outstanding :t:

Will let you know how the Finepix AV180 works out. At £14 posted is a win, win buy :t:

Let us know how you go.
Neil.

Update, The Finepix AV180 15MP works great. Turn the scope mag up to 30x. AV180 no zoom, circle covers nearly all the camera screen. Now I will go out to experiment and post some shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back