• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Target birding May 2016 (1 Viewer)

Hi all,
I'll be in Stockholm for at least a week in mid-May and am looking for info on where to go for the following species. I appreciate that they are all rare/not within the immediate area but I am willing to travel. Please bear in mind, however, I will be restricted to using public transport as I will not have a car.
I'm also open to hiring a local guide, if anyone has any recommendations.

Steller's Eider - any regular sites and will the birds still be there mid-May?
White-billed Diver - same as above
Pine Grosbeak - where are the closest reliable places to Stockholm?

Many thanks in advance,
S.Boddington
http://belgianbirding.blogspot.be/

It will not be easy...

It is not likely that you will find any of the mentioned three species around Stockholm in May.
Unfortunately.

#Steller`s Eider is actually very rare on this side of the Baltic Sea nowadays and there are no reliable sites to find it on as far as I know.
Eastern side of the Baltic Sea is much more reliable. Like in Estonia or Lithuania. Should be gone in May anyway though.
Might be possible to see on migration in the outer parts of the archipelago but it will not be easy.

#White-billed Diver. Is passing by on the migration north in the outer reaches of the archipelago but rarely stay in spring. Might be possible to see from some of the outer islands but with a lot of luck. Will not be easy either, unfortunately.

#Pine Grosbeak. Not regular this far south. Only seen certain years with long time in between. Should be gone in May anyway even if it was such a year.
Back on their breeding grounds.

I am sorry to not be able to give any more encouraging information.
But someone else has some more valuable information.

Good luck!
Jonas

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back