• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gitzo 2380 head (1 Viewer)

I'm using this head with a 85mm Diascope with a 3530 (series 3 with centercolumn) and it works great - very sturdy and virtual no movement of the subject when fastening the alt/azi-knobs. But it is not light - 3530+2380 leads to 3,5kg. I own a 60mm-Opticron with a 2180 on a 2532S and this combo is also carrying the 85mm-Zeiss, but only as a no-wind-solution. So I think, the 2380 is a bit oversized for a 65mm-scope. Try a 2180 or the new GHF2W… or look for the german manufacturer Berlebach with a 510 (review in the Jülich-forum), it performs very well.

good panning
Manfred

I own a 60mm-Opticron with a 2180 on a 2532S and this combo is also carrying the 85mm-Zeiss, but only as a no-wind-solution.

Just curious, why is this a no-wind solution? What makes a setup better for wind? I am currently using a Slik Pro 823 CF with a Manfrotto 128RC head for my 88mm Kowa scope. I find that it performs very poorly in the wind, so am looking at what I could do better.

Thanks

Just curious, why is this a no-wind solution? What makes a setup better for wind? I am currently using a Slik Pro 823 CF with a Manfrotto 128RC head for my 88mm Kowa scope. I find that it performs very poorly in the wind, so am looking at what I could do better.

Thanks

The 2 series tripod that "bio" mentions is a very rigid tripod for it's weight but his 3 series (3530) is somewhat sturdier.
I also use a 2 series Gitzo for scope use (GT2531) but I prefer my 4 series (GT4542LS) whenever practical.

I find scopes are much more demanding of tripods than even the longest lenses currently available (which I use).

I have a 2380 that I sometimes use on a 3530 for much larger, heavier scopes than a 65mm (up to 4.5 Kg). It's a very stable head with excellent fluid motions, but a heavier head than is really needed for a light scope.

Thanks. Sorry for the ignorant questions, but what do we mean when we refer to "series 2/3/4?"

The leg sections of the current crop of carbon fibre Gitzo tripods are made in various thicknesses and diameters.

The tube diameters used are 41.3 mm, 37.0 mm, 32.9 mm, 29.0 mm, 25.3 mm, 21.7 mm, 18.2 mm, 14.7 mm and 11.2 mm.

The top leg sections of a "series 5" are 41.3 mm and those of a "series 0" 21.7 mm, so a three-section "series 3" would have top leg diameters of 32.9 mm and bottom leg diameters of 25.3 mm.

For a given material the stiffness of a tube is proportional to the wall thickness and the cube of its diameter, so the 25.3 mm bottom leg sections of the three-section "series 3" would be 2.7 times as stiff as the 18.2 mm bottom leg sections of a four section "series 2". The weight difference though, would only be about 200 g.

John

The leg sections of the current crop of carbon fibre Gitzo tripods are made in various thicknesses and diameters.

The tube diameters used are 41.3 mm, 37.0 mm, 32.9 mm, 29.0 mm, 25.3 mm, 21.7 mm, 18.2 mm, 14.7 mm and 11.2 mm.

The top leg sections of a "series 5" are 41.3 mm and those of a "series 0" 21.7 mm, so a three-section "series 3" would have top leg diameters of 32.9 mm and bottom leg diameters of 25.3 mm.

For a given material the stiffness of a tube is proportional to the wall thickness and the cube of its diameter, so the 25.3 mm bottom leg sections of the three-section "series 3" would be 2.7 times as stiff as the 18.2 mm bottom leg sections of a four section "series 2". The weight difference though, would only be about 200 g.

John

Very helpful. Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back