• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Puglia, Italy (1 Viewer)

TWM

Anybody got any info on birding around the Gargano Peninsula, Puglia, Southern Italy. I'll be there in late April 2006. It looks interesting but any gen would be appreciated. Do I need a flak jacket because of shooters?
Tim

So I'm going to be the first birder to go there! Come on guys somebody must have been there or is it a REALLY bad choice of destination! Somehow I doubt it. Tim

TWM said:
So I'm going to be the first birder to go there! Come on guys somebody must have been there or is it a REALLY bad choice of destination! Somehow I doubt it. Tim

V good choice. I nearly went a couple of springs ago! My target apart from general steppe and wetland birding would have been Lanner.

http://www.birdingitaly.net/pugliaeng.htm

In late April, I think a trend for harriers including Pallid to enter Italy via Tunisia and Sicily, then cross to east and exit over Adriatic from points up this coast.

If you get bored (ha ha) then would recommend a day trip down to Matera in Basilicata. Amazing scenery and 1000+ pairs of Lesser Kestel in the old town on the cliff face.

white-back said:
V good choice. I nearly went a couple of springs ago! My target apart from general steppe and wetland birding would have been Lanner.

http://www.birdingitaly.net/pugliaeng.htm

In late April, I think a trend for harriers including Pallid to enter Italy via Tunisia and Sicily, then cross to east and exit over Adriatic from points up this coast.

If you get bored (ha ha) then would recommend a day trip down to Matera in Basilicata. Amazing scenery and 1000+ pairs of Lesser Kestel in the old town on the cliff face.
Thanks for that, much appreciated. Tim

Hi TIM, I visited the area early May 1996,the peninsular itself is very picturesque,limestone cliffs&grottoes with pines,it is however very touristy I did see a lanner there but the birding was pretty poor there are 2 very large lakes to the north spoilt by boaters etc.
There is an area of saltpans&marsh north of Margherita di Savoia which was a little gem it was heavily fenced off and the workers ushered me away when I ventured on to it,I discovered 100s of flamingoes,many hundreds of slender billed gulls along with med gulls,gull billed&little terns,great&little egrets also waders,avocets,curlew sands etc and 30 red footed falcons perched on telegraph wires
If you have a little spare time I would recommend the Abruzzo National Park for mountain birds and White backed woodpecker,hope you have a nice time.

tonygee said:
Hi TIM, I visited the area early May 1996,the peninsular itself is very picturesque,limestone cliffs&grottoes with pines,it is however very touristy I did see a lanner there but the birding was pretty poor there are 2 very large lakes to the north spoilt by boaters etc.
Many thanks. I wondered about the lakes. I'm not interested in touristy but it might keep Mrs M happy! Thanks for the other gen. I will let you know how I get on. Tim

Hi,
I co-led a trip to the Gargano this spring. The tour was essentially botanical, but the birding on the plateau was very good. The southern ridge overlooking Manfredonia was excellent for migrant raptors - Red-footed Falcon, Montagu's Harriers and Honey Bs - while there is also a good chance of seeing Lanner and Pallid Harrier. The dry limestone fields in this area turn up Black-eared and Northern Wheatears, Blue Rock Thrush, Tawny Pipit, Spectacled and Sardinian Warbler, while migrating Golden Oriolesand pass through Bee-eaters. I had a quick glimpse of Orphean Warbler and I think Black-headed Bunting is also possible in this area.
If you would like to email directly I can give some other spots worth exploring..

Kind regards,

Stuart

Had a great week there, nice weather nice wine and good birds. The highlight for me was a pair of Penduline Tits nest building next to the track at the Lake Lesina reed bed. The Salinas at Margherita di Savoia were excellent with 5 Glossy Ibis present.
Will write a more detailed report later.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back