• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eyepiece caps too flimsy (1 Viewer)

xaver

As I have written elsewhere in this forum, I am a happy owner of the new Zeiss SF 10x32. I think they are perfect, apart from ... the eyepiece caps. The new Zeiss caps might be good compared to other modern caps, but I really long for the older Zeiss caps. Those were a bit broader than the eyepiece and sat loosely, and they were quite heavy. Thus they fell off the eyepiece by themselves when you put the binoculars to your eyes, and they fell back on the eyepiece by themselves when you took the binoculars off your eyes. It seems that the modern caps of all brands are built much more flimsy, probably to save weight, and sit so exactly on the eyepiece that you have to fix them by hand to the eyepiece. I would really like to carry a little extra weight and have solid caps for it!

I searched a while and found a German product called "gft regenschutzdeckel", but they are too small for most binoculars I own. Also the old Zeiss eyepiece caps are too small for the new SF. Does anyone have any idea where one could get solid caps in old style for new binoculars?

The old heavy Zeiss Dialyt " rainguard " is still available. Is that what you are seeking? A recent thread on here about it...https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=393675

See post #7

Thanks a lot – good to know! I own a Dialyt 10x40 B/GA but its rainguard is a bit too small for the SF 32, one needs to apply some force to put it on the eyepiece. Nonetheless I'll order an additional Dialyt rainguard from the source you indicated, plus I'll try one of those caps that were discussed on the other thread:
https://www.opticron.co.uk/our-products/accessories/binocular-rainguards/universal-xl-binocular-rainguard-

Last edited:
I now tried the Opticron Universal XL Binocular Rainguard on a rainy day. They are not perfect but probably come closest to what I mean. Nonetheless I wish Zeiss would produce the good old solid rainguards in a size that fits the new binoculars.

Zeiss has a perfect classic cap for protecting the eyepieces and it is still easy available. I use it on all binoculars (lso on non-Zeis binoculars) and recently on the SF 8x32 with great pleasure.
Gijs van Ginkel

Zeiss has a perfect classic cap for protecting the eyepieces and it is still easy available. I use it on all binoculars (lso on non-Zeis binoculars) and recently on the SF 8x32 with great pleasure.

Gijs, you've got an SF 8x32? Any comments? I find them a lot more appealing than the NL, simply because they're so much lighter. Unfortunately my dealer still hasn't got them.

BTW, I also use the old Zeiss rainguard on all my binoculars. Got a few in reserve actually ... :t:

Hermann

I now asked Zeiss Switzerland to send me one of the classic rainguards and kindly and swiftly they sent one for free. This is the same rainguard as I have for my Dialyt 10x40, and yes, I like it, but not for the SF 10x32. As I wrote in my opening post, I need to apply some pressure to put it on the eyepieces; so the rainguard of my dreams would be exactly this Dialyt rainguard, but a bit larger, so that it falls off and back to the eyepiece without forcing me to apply any force. In short, I would like to have an SF rainguard that works in the same way the classic Dialyt rainguard worked for the Dialyt!
(Nonetheless, good to hear that Gijs and Hermann are happy with the classic rainguard in its current form).

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back