• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Big Binoculars for Birding - a Pipe Dream? (1 Viewer)

Big binoculars are not a pipe dream, not sure why that was presented that way. There are many
choices in the realm of quality binoculars in the larger sizes of 15X and higher.

First off I will mention my experience, the cheap astro 15x70 binoculars are just that, cheap,
and often are out of collimation. The Celestron 15x70 Skymaster, should come with instructions
on how to tweak the prism adjusting screws. Those instructions, may be included with purchase.....

Good ones that I have or have had are the Nikon 15x56 and 20x56 Monarch 5 models, they both
deliver a nice view, and tripod mounted of course, for the best use.
The Swarovski 15x56 SLC Neu, Zeiss Conquest HD 15x56, and the Docter Nobilem 15x60 are also great choices.
Your budget will help you in deciding which one is for you. There are many reviews out there, so
no need to explain that here.

Comparing with a spotting scope is natural, and looking with 2 eyes rather than one is a great
advantage for comfort, and ease of view.

Holger Merlitz does post on here, every once in a while. PM him, if you wish and encourage him to post more.
He has his own site, that I look at regularly, he keeps it up, with new reviews, and he has a book that
he wrote a short time ago. When it is printed in English, I will buy one.

Jerry

What’s your opinion of the 15x vs 20x monarch 5

The other point is that using an Astro scope and eyepieces allows for wider apparent fields making the view more immersive and easier to see where you’re pointing it. Rangemaster and 8x30E2 have spoilt me with binocular views as well. Large apparent field (>70degree) bins with higher power are unobtanium and with bins the field edges tend to be less good than with Astro eyepieces.

My workhorse spotter is a 66mm ED refractor with a 13mm ultrawide eyepiece, nicely convenient on a reasonable tripod. Adding a second eye would seem to mean a decent 20x80 or moving upto one of the new oberwerk/APM 45degree (more convenient) 80mm binoscopes (heavy but “better”). I mostly observe medium distance from hides for prolonged periods, using the smaller bins for closer stuff and when walking about..

PEterW

Large apparent field (>70degree) bins with higher power are unobtanium and with bins the field edges tend to be less good than with Astro eyepiece.

A possible exception is the Docter 40x80 Aspectem with 84° AFOV and 18 mm eye relief. Most ultra wide astro eyepieces, however, are probably too large in diameter to allow practical IPDs in binoculars.

John

Doctors...£€$¥!! Also not 45degree, which only matters if you even want to look upwards. My type6 nagler is compact and is reckoned to binoview well and the Baader Morpheus advertise themselves as ideal for bino use. Why tolerate looking down a straw?!

PEter

Ah, replying to my own post. Now I use a pair of APM 70mm ED binoculars with a range of (ultra) wide field astro eyepieces (17/22/30/60x) Individual focus which is quite easy to adjust. Not lightweight, but easy to backpack carry and use a fairly light tripod. Very enjoyable for detailed 30x examinations of long distance stuff from hides or other fixed locations and very intimate views of much closer stuff. A ”two eyed spotting scope”.

Peter

I'm new to the forum, and I send you my regards.

My experience with variable magnifications up to 36x has established that the best is at least 25x56 with a weight less than 1Kg.
A good pair of CF 25x56 binoculars has enough power to see well a few minutes after sunset (10x35 equivalent). So it is more than enough for 98% of the time and very comfortable even freehand. Of course, magnifications between 30x and 60x will be better in various situations, but the increasingly narrow field of view will make it difficult to target moving subjects.

My Celestron 25x70 has very poor optics although some report that they are O.K.

In fact, my copy works well. The Celestron SkyMaster 25x70 has some design flaws, but on average it is done well and is better than many other similar binoculars. Measured properly, it is 23.5x and not 25x. The focus is slightly hard, but it is sufficient to replace the type of sticky grease with other less viscous grease. The chromatic aberrations are quite present, but it is sufficient to diaphragm it between 56 and 42mm, to improve the situation and also to greatly increase the depth of field.

If they produced the same binoculars, but really 25 or 26x and with 56mm ED lenses, it would be perfect even at € 100 more.

Hi Rico,
Welcome.

What do you mean by 10x35 equivalent?

I have a Russian 30x50, which has excellent resolution, as good as the Zeiss 20x60S.
But the 30x50 has poor coatings and ordinary mirrors.
It uses mirrors not prisms and is a folded refractor design.

Personally, I prefer large scopes to large binoculars.

I have a Japanese 25x-135x 80 centre focus binocular that is well aligned at all powers.
But anything above 80x is empty magnification.
Even here I prefer a scope.

I do wish there was a Canon 25x50 IS or 25x56 IS binocular.

Regards,
B.

Hi Rico,
Welcome.

What do you mean by 10x35 equivalent?
Thanks for the welcome

By equivalent, I mean equal light output. The same ability to read in the twilight.
The equivalence is: 25x56 = 10x35 = 8x32 = 7x30, as the ability to read twilight.

Vorrei che esistesse un binocolo Canon 25x50 IS o 25x56 IS.
Unfortunately, the 18x50 is not enough. And I think that a good 25x 42-56mm binoculars, could be a godsend for birders.

Last edited:
Thanks. The bins are around 4kg, but then you got to carry some eyepiece pairs. Pretty rapid to setup, but I’m not going to be carrying it around setup. 30x works in most daytime situations, 60x is getting a bit dim, can knock back to 16x for nighttime use. All eyepieces are >65degree and sharp to the edge and colour free. Great for scanning and picking up tricky birds hiding in reeds and the like or looking off shore. APM sell much bigger ones, but you’d not be wanting to haul them around a lot. Recently carried mine round for a number of hours at a nature reserve. I couple them with some wide 8x binoculars for providing the overview. Positive comments from those who’ve looked through them.
Peter

I had a very pleasant experience of watching a horned owl with my fujinon 25x150s,
but
the binoculars were mounted, and the owl came to a tree about 100 years away.

it is hard to impinge me luging the 120 pound set up, on wheels, over the wooded trails
maybe?

edj

.A hundred years away?

Does it take 2 miles to focus?

Ah, replying to my own post. Now I use a pair of APM 70mm ED binoculars with a range of (ultra) wide field astro eyepieces (17/22/30/60x) Individual focus which is quite easy to adjust. Not lightweight, but easy to backpack carry and use a fairly light tripod. Very enjoyable for detailed 30x examinations of long distance stuff from hides or other fixed locations and very intimate views of much closer stuff. A ”two eyed spotting scope”.

Peter

I meant to make this post for quite a while - apologies!

I did, in happier days, get the chance to try this exact setup and found it both impressive and enjoyable. Peter kindly set it up with various magnification eyepieces and I found I liked 18x best - which represented a big increase over the largest magnifications I normally use (10-12x) while maintaining a reasonably comfortable exit pupil and decent brightness. 15x widefield would be really interesting to try.

It is a big unit and Peter is a better man than I for lugging it and the associated tripod etc. out to hides, but as a pure observation tool it's great. I've tried the Swarovski BTX, which is optically excellent and easier to hump around, but this setup is not that far off optically (I'd guess with really top-notch eyepieces it'd be very close indeed), and a lot less expensive. If you were lucky enough to live near something like a peregrine nest site you'd get countless hours of enjoyable observation with it, and if you could handle lugging it up somewhere like Primrose Hill or Streatham Hill it would be quite the weapon for identifying and following raptors over distances beyond any normal binocular. No doubt there are lots of other situations where it would be wonderful to be able to look through one - but not enough to make carrying it around worthwhile...

This sort of setup works much better if you're part of a two or three man team - the weight can be spread between yourself and your mates, and having one or two spotters with widefield lower mag binoculars works really well for finding targets for the big gun.

Attachments

• 20191103_121501_01.jpg
    20191103_121501_01.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 300
Thanks. I really should try to get birding again, not been out for ages.

The lowest the 70mm will go is with 24mm eyepieces (65degree apparent field), for 16x which I have, though I mainly run at 30x. There are other ultrawide field models (>75 degree apparent field) that provide greater eye relief than the ones I currently use (APM, Baader Morpheus) and are still sharp to the edges. I’ll probably get some when I eventually need glasses all the time.

It’s a bit over 4kg to carry, but I carried it around all day at a local club visit to RSPB Arne last year, which didn’t result in any regret and was greeted with “interest” by the others, though few dared to look through. You make Streatham and Primrose Hills sound like Mt Everest?!

I also had some great views last year off the coast of wales, picking up seabirds you just couldn’t see otherwise. I agree using them in combination with something wide and lower powered works best (maybe a little cheaper than the WX!). Looking for raptors is always best done in a team, the more eyes the better!

The WX isn’t a lot lighter, but woooo the views are just crazy wide and really are sharp to the edges… if you can look round the edges to find them! The tripod adapter seemed a bit flimsy though.

Need to catch up some time when the world has settled back down again, the only peregrines I’ve seen recently have been on a webcam.

Peter

Under a dark sky, the WX 10X50 is a great form of meditation for me, truly remarkable views from a great glass. I have access to one, when the sky is black and clear.

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back