• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Butterflies and Moths (1 Viewer)

It would be really useful if anyone visiting any of these squares lets me know, not only if they do find Dingy, but also if they don't. This currently has to be the rarest species in Norfolk, and we need to know where it is.

Many thanks for that detailed info - very useful. I've made a note of the squares and will send in reports, both positive and negative, when I'm trundling round any of them.

Regards,
Irene

Small Copper

A walk round a fairly migrant free Burnham Overy Dunes this morning at least produced 3 Small Coppers (looking very fresh and quite stunning).

This caterpillar was on grass (although possibly wandering rather than eating) at Cley NWT on Saturday. I'm not sure of the species, maybe one of the Tiger Moths?

Attachments

• cley cat crop.jpg
    cley cat crop.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 399
Butterfly Conservation Field Trip to Stoke Ferry yesterday morning produced 10 species despite the windy conditions. Nine Grizzled Skipper were the highlights, but we also saw Small Copper, Brown Argus, Green Hairstreak, Speckled Wood, Brimstone, Peacock and Large, Small and Green-veined Whites. Several Cinnabar moths were seen, as well as Banded Demoiselle and Large Red damselfly. In the afternoon we went on to Cranwich Heath, where despite the wind we saw Small Heath, Orangetip, Small Copper, Peacock, Speckled Wood and all three whites. Also seen were Yellow Belle, Speckled Yellow, Brown Silverline, Common Carpet and Common Heath moths.

In other news, Dingy Skipper now reported flying.

Stiffkey Fen

Wall seen at bottom of steps by seawall at Stiffkey FenB :)
Three more on permissive path along main road (A149): between Fen footpath and the end of the trees and scrub. :t:(None by field edge further east):C

Probably won't send this record in separately, Harrassed Dad.

Lot's of Green veined whites at Titchwell today and several Speckled Woods. Some Orange Tips including females egg laying on Cardamine pratensis.
The Norfolk recorder will receive my records in November as usual.

Strumpshaw today:
lots of Brimstones, Peacocks, Speckled Woods, Green-veined Whites, Orange-tips and a report of a Swallowtail by Fen Hide (Seems early!)

Had this nice Wall yesterday (12/5) while clinging (the butterfly not me!) to the walls of Cantley church in heavy wind, probably not a scarce species but still don't generally see that many of them!!

Matt

Attachments

• brundall 076 (Custom).jpg
    brundall 076 (Custom).jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 146
Matt - Not only are Wall fairly scarce these days, but you also have provided the only butterfly record of any species from TG3804 this century! (actually the only record from the whole tetrad TG30X) - many thanks.

Matt - Not only are Wall fairly scarce these days, but you also have provided the only butterfly record of any species from TG3804 this century! (actually the only record from the whole tetrad TG30X) - many thanks.

Thanks! And most interesting!

Had I known how little recorded this area is I would have been a little more precise recording what little I did see. Only other sightings were a few probable large whites/Green Veined seen in the hedgrows between Brundall and Cantley, a small blue butterfly (unsure wether it was Common or Holly Blue) at Limpenhoe churchyard and a Small Tortoisehell on the concrete path outside Cantley beet factory!!

Matt

Painted Ladies

Good numbers along the cliff tops between Cromer and Trimingham today too.

Simon

Attachments

• Painted Lady.jpg
    Painted Lady.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 119
Reports of Painted Lady coming in from all over the north and east coasts. This follows on from reports of "tens of thousands" seen passing through a valley in Spain last week. Bodes well for the summer.

Blakeney Point

At least 20+ Painted Ladies between Halfway House and the Tearoom in just a few hours this afternoon (which was a good thing as there weren't many avian migrants about!).

I noticed that the Painted Ladies were very pale in colouration.

Irene

Users who are viewing this thread

Back