• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Taman Negara, Malaysia: guide and/or agency needed (1 Viewer)

Hanno

Ho Ho Ho
Good morning all,

I feel the urgent need for a few days off coming on and was thinking of Taman Negara as it is not far from home. I do not want to think (much) or organize anything; therefore could anyone recommend a good outfit that could cobble together a few days for me? High on the list, apart from birds, is Tapir as I did not see that on my previous visit.

Thanks a lot,

Hanno

Dear Hanno,

Which entrance of Taman Negara do you wish to visit? There is the 'usual' Kuala Tahan entrance which will feature in almost all reviews of that place. Or try the less well known Merapoh entrance. The journey from Kuala Lumpur International Airport to either entrance is roughly the same i.e. about 3.5 hours one way.

I'm more familiar with the Merapoh entrance and I have not been to the Kuala Tahan entrance for some years now. The only tarred jeep track into Taman Negara is located there. You will not really need a guide as most birding can be done from the jeep track (leech-free too!). The first 2km or so from the entrance of the jeep track at the ranger station are the best for birding. Trips into the side trails (leeches here though) can yield Garnet and Banded Pittas, amongst other goodies. There are many large mammals in that area, presumably displaced from the more touristy Kuala Tahan entrance. You may be able to see them crossing the jeep track if you are lucky. However, I don't know of any definite site where Tapirs can be seen with any certainty although I've seen plenty of footprints along game trails by the side of the jeep track.

Accommodation is cheap too. Current prices are RM70.00 for an air-conditioned room that has 2 queen-sized beds. You can read more here http://www.journeymalaysia.com/rainmerapohpark.htm. The accommodation is right at the ranger station and is now run by a private operator. The park rangers contactable at the phone number stated in that link can provide you with the private operator's contact. They speak some English but not too much.

However, you may have to order food by private caterer as there is no canteen operator at the ranger station. If I'm not mistaken, the accommodation private operator can help you arrange for food to be catered. This is in stark contrast with Kuala Tahan where there are many restaurants to choose from.

You can also contact Dave Bakewell (Dave B on this forum) for more info.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Hor Kee

Dear Hor Kee,

Thanks a lot for your exhaustive post.

I do not really want to rough it. A few years a go I stayed at the Mutia Taman Negara Resort. Rooms were not great, but food and birds were. Not worried about leeches; done plenty of birding in SE Asia.

Basically, I am lazy and just want somebody to pick me up at the airport; take me to TN and sort out accommodation, transport and food there. I know South East Asian birds pretty well but it would help to have sa guide to get me onto the trickier birds/animals.

I haven't been birding this year yet and just want a few easy, relaxing birding days.

Regards,

Hanno

Dear Hanno,

If that is the case Kuala Tahan would be your choice. It has all the amenities and facilities. However, the whole month of August is Ramadan i.e. the Muslim fasting month. I hope this does not affect the food available, although the good thing would be that there will definitely be less visitors to Kuala Tahan that can be rather crowded at times.

Recent specialties I have seen posted on the net are rather tame Crested Firebacks near the Tahan Hide and a Barred Eagle Owl that hangs around the wildlife dept (Perhilitan) HQ even in the daytime. I have also seen a video of two tapirs shot by Thai birders near the HQ on the net recently. They claim that this pair was a relocated pair from a sanctuary of sorts and are accustomed to humans.

As for guides, I really don't know who to recommend for a one-on-one birding trip. Perhaps you could ask my friend Dave Bakewell who could put you in touch with someone. One bird guide I do know is Choo Tse Chien whose website is http://www.aviannaturescapes.net/. You can try contacting him, although to the best of my knowledge he usually brings small groups.

All the best!

Hor Kee

Hor Kee said:
Recent specialties I have seen posted on the net are rather tame Crested Firebacks near the Tahan Hide and a Barred Eagle Owl that hangs around the wildlife dept (Perhilitan) HQ even in the daytime.
a friend of mine just came back from Taman Negara the other month and saw this eagle owl. It was perched about a foot off the ground on a sloping trunk when he first saw it and on his return later in the day was actually sitting on the ground. From the photos it appeared to have a damaged wing. The impression he had was that it was a "rescue" bird not a genuine wild one that just happened to be living in the area.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back