• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Chickadee Hit Our Window :( (1 Viewer)

Takaia

Yesterday, I heard a thump on the window, and when I went outside I found a stunned Black Capped Chickadee laying on the ground. I picked it up and put it in a bird cage so he could recover without the risk of being eaten by our cat. He seems to have mostly recovered now, with the exceptions that he is still holding his left eye closed the majority of the time, and he doesn't seem to respond to visual stimuli the way I would expect from a healthy bird.

I was just hoping someone might have some advice for me because I'm really worried about it. I was going to release it this morning (because before it recovered to my satisfaction last night it fell asleep in the bottom of the cage), but again he doesn't seem completely healthy. Should I just let it go? Do you think it's injured for life? *sigh* please help!

Chickidee1.jpgChickidee2.jpgchickadee31.jpg

Should I just let it go? Do you think it's injured for life? *sigh* please help!

I would, since if there's brain damage it doesn't seem likely that it's something it will ever recover from. Why don't you try releasing it & see what happens? If it flies away & seems able to take care of itself, fine; if not, the most humane thing might be to put it down, unpleasant as that would be.

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice... I was just about to release him, and he started acting really weird, so I reached in the cage to touch him and get a better look, and he died in my hands :-C

Thank you for the advice... I was just about to release him, and he started acting really weird, so I reached in the cage to touch him and get a better look, and he died in my hands :-C

What a shame! Well, at least you tried.

I think you did the best you could do. Birds often hit windows, some die but some need some time to recover. About two years ago I heard something hitting a window while at work, when I looked I saw a small bird lying on the ground. As I was in a meeting I could not go out. Later when I could I went outside and saw that it had left, it must have been out for a while but apparently it quickly recovered, a pity your unlucky bird did not.

Hi Takaia

So sorry about about your sad experience with the little bird, or in my words wee soul!
He/she must have been damaged by the glass and has never recovered.
{{Hugs}} to your loss.

Yes, bird silouttes are a great idea on your windows

Regards
Kathy
x

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back