Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

My sharpest digiscoping image to date with Pentax K100D

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 11th May 2007, 09:41   #1
doug_newman

My sharpest digiscoping image to date with Pentax K100D

Hi all.

I am really getting to grips with my camera and scope now and this is by far my best shot ever!

For those interested in technical things.....
Common Myna
Pentax PF-80-ED and Pentx K100D F/8 1/180th sec ISO 400
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	myna2.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	84014  
Old Friday 11th May 2007, 10:09   #2
postcardcv
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2018

that's an impressive shot, I've tried dslr's on the back of a couple of scopes but have never been pleased with the results... how are you attaching it all together?

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 11th May 2007, 18:44   #3
doug_newman

Hi there.

i am simply hand-holding the cheap 18-55mm lense that comes with the camera against the eyepiece. The reason I think it works so well is that the exit pupil of the Pentax is huge! I switch the camera to manual focus, look through the viewfinder and do all focusing with the focus on the scope.

What also helps is I have the Manfroto tripod with the three seperate levers to set pan, tilt and angle. I slightly loosen the pan a tilt so that they ahve ebough tension that my hand will hold it in place while I take a shot but at the same time without removing the camera from the scope I can search for other birds to photograph and be ready in a second or two to move from one bird to another to photograph.

Alo I am a firm bliever that the Pentax scope and the K100D digital SLR are so good that it just makes it so easy. Until pentax topped developing new products they were always leaders in their field. Hopefully their efforts to catch up will not stop!

I can't wait for a pentax SMCP-FA 300mm F2.8 lens :o)
Old Monday 14th May 2007, 08:36   #4
Spot Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_newman View Post
Hi there.

i am simply hand-holding the cheap 18-55mm lense that comes with the camera against the eyepiece. The reason I think it works so well is that the exit pupil of the Pentax is huge! I switch the camera to manual focus, look through the viewfinder and do all focusing with the focus on the scope.

What also helps is I have the Manfroto tripod with the three seperate levers to set pan, tilt and angle. I slightly loosen the pan a tilt so that they ahve ebough tension that my hand will hold it in place while I take a shot but at the same time without removing the camera from the scope I can search for other birds to photograph and be ready in a second or two to move from one bird to another to photograph.

Alo I am a firm bliever that the Pentax scope and the K100D digital SLR are so good that it just makes it so easy. Until pentax topped developing new products they were always leaders in their field. Hopefully their efforts to catch up will not stop!

I can't wait for a pentax SMCP-FA 300mm F2.8 lens :o)
Hi Doug Are you aware of this accessory ?
http://www.pentax.co.jp/english/prod...scope/pf-ca35/
Not that it appears you need it
could you tell me at what distance the myna was?
Sigma 50-500 APO DG
Old Tuesday 15th May 2007, 07:11   #5
doug_newman

Hi there.

Yes. I will be getting the scope adapter one of these days. As for the Myna, it was about 20 meters away. Why I like the eyepiece is you can vary from 20 - 60 time zoom whereas the scope adapter is about 40x fixed. In that case the 20x will be sharper and the Myna would have been to close at 40x.

Cheers.
Doug.
Old Tuesday 15th May 2007, 08:23   #6
Spot Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_newman View Post
Hi there.

Yes. I will be getting the scope adapter one of these days. As for the Myna, it was about 20 meters away. Why I like the eyepiece is you can vary from 20 - 60 time zoom whereas the scope adapter is about 40x fixed. In that case the 20x will be sharper and the Myna would have been to close at 40x.

Cheers.
Doug.
Thanks Doug I'm seriously looking at a PF-80 to team up with my K10D I find my sigma 50-500 isn't long enough
Sigma 50-500 APO DG
Old Tuesday 15th May 2007, 10:55   #7
Neil

Doug,
This looks good. Much better than I've been able to do with a DSLR.
You could try the 18-55mm in Auto-focus mode. I've tried with the Nikon 18-55mm and it will Auto-focus in good light in the 18-30 range hand-holding.
Neil.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: