Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

K10D firmware update

Old Saturday 20th January 2007, 14:57   #1
impotentspider

K10D firmware update

Just heard that a firmware update should soon be available for the K10D, amongst other things the camera will now support wireless flash using the pop-up as the controler.

Details here; http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3668
Old Saturday 20th January 2007, 16:52   #2
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by impotentspider
Just heard that a firmware update should soon be available for the K10D, amongst other things the camera will now support wireless flash using the pop-up as the controler.

Details here; http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3668
That's good news. I hope they can improve on a few other things. I understand that the noise in high ISO settings could benefit from such an update, too. And while being much faster than previous Pentax DSLRs, it is still slower than the competition, according to a test I read today in a German magazine (FotoMagazin 2/2007). They also compare what is called "net data file size" if I translated this correctly. And that is where Nikon D200 and Canon EOS 30D, which they considered in the same level, have about twice the amount. I admit that I have no idea how critical this is, however! But in the end, the resolution value is not as high as one would expect when looking at the megapixles only.
!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 21st January 2007, 01:05   #3
bkrownd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissboy
They also compare what is called "net data file size" if I translated this correctly. And that is where Nikon D200 and Canon EOS 30D, which they considered in the same level, have about twice the amount. I admit that I have no idea how critical this is, however!
Hey, if you don't even know what it is, can it matter?

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 21st January 2007, 17:16   #4
impotentspider

I wouldn't put too much faith in reviews, these people dream up silly tests, scrutinise images with magnifying glasses, compare dynamic range, compare specifications etc etc, At the end of the day all that matters is does the camera produce a satisfactory image from a normal viewing distance, the answer is YES.

Its ok putting results from two or three cameras side by side and comparing them, but do you honestly think these people could tell which image was shot on which camera if the didn't have prior knowledge.
Old Monday 22nd January 2007, 14:23   #5
iporali

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissboy
But in the end, the resolution value is not as high as one would expect when looking at the megapixles only.
Yes - that was observed also by the "notorious" dpreview-review. But that was only in JPEG - if you want "all" the resolution of the sensor, you *can* get it via RAW (as well or better than the Nikon D80 with the same sensor). And shooting RAW - whenever necessary - is made very easy with the K10D.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk10d/page21.asp
"Removing the camera's built-in image processor and instead processing using a standard converter (in this case Adobe Camera RAW) we see the K10D's true colors, clear crisp images with lots of detail and sharp edges. Indeed there are several parts of the image which look more detailed than the D80. It makes you wonder why Pentax couldn't achieve this quality with their processor."

Best regards,

Ilkka
Old Tuesday 23rd January 2007, 22:00   #6
impotentspider

Firmware update is now available on Pentax UK website.

http://www.pentax.co.uk/_uk/photo/pr...5&id=downloads
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: