• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

K10D firmware update (1 Viewer)

impotentspider said:
Just heard that a firmware update should soon be available for the K10D, amongst other things the camera will now support wireless flash using the pop-up as the controler.

Details here; http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3668

That's good news. I hope they can improve on a few other things. I understand that the noise in high ISO settings could benefit from such an update, too. And while being much faster than previous Pentax DSLRs, it is still slower than the competition, according to a test I read today in a German magazine (FotoMagazin 2/2007). They also compare what is called "net data file size" if I translated this correctly. And that is where Nikon D200 and Canon EOS 30D, which they considered in the same level, have about twice the amount. I admit that I have no idea how critical this is, however! But in the end, the resolution value is not as high as one would expect when looking at the megapixles only.

Swissboy said:
They also compare what is called "net data file size" if I translated this correctly. And that is where Nikon D200 and Canon EOS 30D, which they considered in the same level, have about twice the amount. I admit that I have no idea how critical this is, however!

Hey, if you don't even know what it is, can it matter? :brains: ;)

I wouldn't put too much faith in reviews, these people dream up silly tests, scrutinise images with magnifying glasses, compare dynamic range, compare specifications etc etc, At the end of the day all that matters is does the camera produce a satisfactory image from a normal viewing distance, the answer is YES.

Its ok putting results from two or three cameras side by side and comparing them, but do you honestly think these people could tell which image was shot on which camera if the didn't have prior knowledge.

Swissboy said:
But in the end, the resolution value is not as high as one would expect when looking at the megapixles only.
Yes - that was observed also by the "notorious" dpreview-review. But that was only in JPEG - if you want "all" the resolution of the sensor, you *can* get it via RAW (as well or better than the Nikon D80 with the same sensor). And shooting RAW - whenever necessary - is made very easy with the K10D.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk10d/page21.asp
"Removing the camera's built-in image processor and instead processing using a standard converter (in this case Adobe Camera RAW) we see the K10D's true colors, clear crisp images with lots of detail and sharp edges. Indeed there are several parts of the image which look more detailed than the D80. It makes you wonder why Pentax couldn't achieve this quality with their processor."

Best regards,

Ilkka

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back