• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feisol CT 3372 Tripod (1 Viewer)

Roy C

Occasional bird snapper
Anyone had any experience with Feisol Tripods? I am looking at the CT 3372 or 3472 which is supposed to be equivalent to the Gitzo GT3531.

Max load of the CT 3372 is 12 kg will this be enough for a 500mm f4? (assuming a good head)

Any advise welcome.

UPDATE:
Just took delivery of a Feisol CT-3372 tripod and I must say I am impressed. Coming from a Manfrotto 055 PRO B the Feisol felt mega light and the build quality is superb.

I am only using a 400mm f5.6 + 1.4tc at the moment so I had my doubts if there would be much noticeable difference in stability (the 055 is rated to handle my lightweight gear). What a difference I found, the 3372 is rock solid and so much better. On my first outing I was shooting in low light at very slow shutter speeds and got better results than I have ever achieved before with the 1.4tc attached.

Setting up and taking down to put over my shoulders is so much easier and the foam leg covers and CF tubes makes it easy to carry around.

It really is a great solid tripod and I could not be more pleased.

I am now looking at heads to replace my Manfrotto 488RC2 ball head (but even the 488 feels so much better on the 3372). Most Gimbals and larger sidekicks would be an overkill with the 400 5.6 so I am looking at the Jobu Jnr or an Indian ‘knock-off’ sidekick. Tried the Indian Sidekick with a Sigma 500mm f4.5 and tc recently and it felt pretty good to me. Anyone got any suggestions?

UPDATE:
Just took delivery of a Feisol CT-3372 tripod and I must say I am impressed. Coming from a Manfrotto 055 PRO B the Feisol felt mega light and the build quality is superb.

I am only using a 400mm f5.6 + 1.4tc at the moment so I had my doubts if there would be much noticeable difference in stability (the 055 is rated to handle my lightweight gear). What a difference I found, the 3372 is rock solid and so much better. On my first outing I was shooting in low light at very slow shutter speeds and got better results than I have ever achieved before with the 1.4tc attached.

Setting up and taking down to put over my shoulders is so much easier and the foam leg covers and CF tubes makes it easy to carry around.

It really is a great solid tripod and I could not be more pleased.

I am now looking at heads to replace my Manfrotto 488RC2 ball head (but even the 488 feels so much better on the 3372). Most Gimbals and larger sidekicks would be an overkill with the 400 5.6 so I am looking at the Jobu Jnr or an Indian ‘knock-off’ sidekick. Tried the Indian Sidekick with a Sigma 500mm f4.5 and tc recently and it felt pretty good to me. Anyone got any suggestions?

Congrats Roy,
a good choice I agree with ... I've been in touch with the guys on the forum and I'm really tempted :smoke:
As for the head the Jobu Jr seems your best bet, but I'd personally look at the Manfrotto 501 HDV (I love video heads ;)), good enough even with a 500mm f/4 lens (tested for a day last month)
Cheers,
Max

UPDATE:
(...)

Hi Roy,

I've taken the same road - from Manfrotto 055 to Feisol CT-3372 - some months ago and I am more than pleased by the performance of the Feisol! I changed from Manfrotto because I needed a stable but portable platform for my Nikon Fieldscope ED82A. I carefully examined many possible contenders (Gitzo, Velbon, Manfrotto, and Giottos carbon tripods, Eschenbach and Wolf ashwood tripods) and found the Feisol to be the best compromise: Only the large Gitzos are a tiny little bit more sturdy but at twice the price of the CT-3372. The Feisol CT-3472 by the way was not nearly as sturdy as the 3372.

To make use of the fold-back property of the 3372 (very useful for backpacking) I bought a small and light Benro J-2 ball head which is strong enough for my scope and my analogue SLR equipment up to 300mm. For heavier gear a larger head would be necessary. Maybe the Benro gimbal head GH-1? The 3372 itself is easily capable of much higher loads.

Best regards and merry christmas!

To resurrect this thread - now that you have owned this tripod for a few months, any problems or issues come to light ?

TIA
Andrew

To resurrect this thread - now that you have owned this tripod for a few months, any problems or issues come to light ?

TIA
Andrew
No problems Andrew, I am more than pleased with the tripod. I still cannot get over how light it feels compared to my Manfrotto 055 proB.
I now use the tripod with a Jobu Jr gimbal head which makes a perfect combo for my set-up.

TIA
Andrew

Besides that I had to tighten the screws of the top plate once so far I can tell only the best about my 3372!

Can a Manfrotto 128RC (or 501HDV) head be fitted directly to a Feisol tripod or do you need to buy the centre column to fit it to, thinking of upgrading to something bigger and CF.

Thanks for any info.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back