• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which model is more advanced? (1 Viewer)

Friend you believe that Swarovski will present new models of Binoculars, 2019?

Thanks.
Jose.

Perhaps he meant, the longer you wait the more chance of a newer model coming out. All the time you wait for something new, is time without a binocular.

Friend you believe that Swarovski will present new models of Binoculars, 2019?

Thanks.
Jose.

Not directed to me but I don't think this will be the case.

Rather than going for the "newest" why not get the one that best suits your needs.

I have both models and owned the 12x50 about a year before I got the brand new version of 15x56. Which to I like best? It depends on what I'm doing. IMO, I think both are a struggle (or at least, not ideal) without a tripod so I rarely use either of them hand held. 90% of my hand held use over the past 6-8 years has been with stabilized Canon binoculars.

The 12x50's seem to be brighter at the beginning and end of the day and can peer into shadow areas a bit better. I like to use them when walking through the Ponderosa forests while toting a tripod. The FOV is sufficient enough that I usually don't carry another optic. If I do, it's something much smaller like the 8x25CL, which gives me more freedom of movement to find animals and them aim the 12x50s at them.

The newest 15x56's (I've owned all 3 main versions) were a big step up from version 1 & 2, in almost every area of concern. I owned versions 2 & 3 simultaneously and I was impressed with the improvements. Still, the FOV is limited, so I tend to use them in more open county and at long distance and I also tend to use them in conjunction with an 8x32.

I would say that deciding between these to binoculars has more to do with choosing between an optical geometry rather than a model because they're both at or near the top of their class for the two respective magnifications.

If you're going to do any hand held viewing, just go with the 12x50's. The 15x56's are a dedicated tripod binocular that's great for revealing a good bit more detail in what you're looking at if you don't mind restricting yourself to a tripod.

Last edited:
Not directed to me but I don't think this will be the case.

Rather than going for the "newest" why not get the one that best suits your needs.

I have both models and owned the 12x50 about a year before I got the brand new version of 15x56. Which to I like best? It depends on what I'm doing. IMO, I think both are a struggle (or at least, not ideal) without a tripod so I rarely use either of them hand held. 90% of my hand held use over the past 6-8 years has been with stabilized Canon binoculars.

The 12x50's seem to be brighter at the beginning and end of the day and can peer into shadow areas a bit better. I like to use them when walking through the Ponderosa forests while toting a tripod. The FOV is sufficient enough that I usually don't carry another optic. If I do, it's something much smaller like the 8x25CL, which gives me more freedom of movement to find animals and them aim the 12x50s at them.

The newest 15x56's (I've owned all 3 main versions) were a big step up from version 1 & 2, in almost every area of concern. I owned versions 2 & 3 simultaneously and I was impressed with the improvements. Still, the FOV is limited, so I tend to use them in more open county and at long distance and I also tend to use them in conjunction with an 8x32.

I would say that deciding between these to binoculars has more to do with choosing between an optical geometry rather than a model because they're both at or near the top of their class for the two respective magnifications.

If you're going to do any hand held viewing, just go with the 12x50's. The 15x56's are a dedicated tripod binocular that's great for revealing a good bit more detail in what you're looking at if you don't mind restricting yourself to a tripod.

Thanks Patriot222.
I want to buy those that offer greater clarity and sharpness in the image, although I love to observe distant objects and airplanes, hopefully the 12x50 comply with my expetatives.

José.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back