• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuji Finepix HS10 review (1 Viewer)

Going from 10 to 16 megapixels is an unfortunate design choice, imo.
Fuji would have done better to keep the 10 meg pixel count, as Canon did in their S95, and apply the sensor improvement to increasing the ISO.
All of these superzooms suffer when shooting in lower light conditions with full zoom.
Higher ISO is a much more relevant feature than higher pixel count.

yes I saw a review earlier today. looks like the CMOS is slightly larger but the pixel count has gone up 60% ! somethings got to give.:-O

Looks like Fuji have completely ignored user feedback . Why on earth didn't they take the opportunity to increase processor speed ?:C

Most of the Fuji HS20XLR hype simply reitterates the HS10 spec.
Going from 10 to 16 megapixels is an unfortunate design choice, imo.
Fuji would have done better to keep the 10 meg pixel count, as Canon did in their S95, and apply the sensor improvement to increasing the ISO.
All of these superzooms suffer when shooting in lower light conditions with full zoom.
Higher ISO is a much more relevant feature than higher pixel count.

absolutely agree +1 I'd trade an extra 6Mpix for decent image detail at 10Mp and full zoom.

Last edited:
The problem is 'Joe Public' thinks it's a simple equation megapixels = better camera. Give me 10MP and less noise at higher ISO any day.

Sean I think you have made an ill-advised choice in putchasing the HS10 clearly it is ill-informed as you seem to know nothing about either the camera or basic photographic techniques.

No serious photographer is going to use the LCD screen for composing external shots unless the viewfinder is unavailable. As for reviewing your images on the screen Why ? I just chuck a 4Gb hispeed card in mine and bang off 100's of shots without worrying about if I have got a good one. Besides a 3" screen is too small to make a serious appraisal anyway.

If you need to be able to take really hi quality images at max 720mm zoom I would suggest that a £3000 canon telephoto might manage it. Otherwise look at your EXIF data of your images it should tell you how you need to set your settings on the camera. if you allow the camera too much control the noise limiting software will reduce your ISO to 800 or worse which is why i suggested using Aperture mode and setting ISO to 200

As for using AA Alkaline batteries !........................:-O shakes head

Earley Bird

Perhaps you could meet me in the field and give me a masterclass and pass on your obvious talents? A senseless inexperienced numpty like me would clearly benefit from someone with supreme skill and knowledge.

I will take you up on your advice and buy a £3000 lens then, as that is clearly the advice of a well informed expert with high levels of experience and intelligence.

It has been very useful, I'll ask more often.

Do you work for Fuji?

Sean

Last edited:
oops !? a previous post seems to have dissapeared ?

Yeah, I thought upon reflection maybe I'd misinterpreted the tone of your post responding to Sean's genuine request for assistance to get the best out of his camera for his very specific macro-photography requirements.

But then again, judging by Sean's response, clearly I hadn't.

Jon

Yeah, I thought upon reflection maybe I'd misinterpreted the tone of your post responding to Sean's genuine request for assistance to get the best out of his camera for his very specific macro-photography requirements.

But then again, judging by Sean's response, clearly I hadn't.

Jon

no I don't think you misjudged my response .Thank you for bringing it to my attention

I probably over-reacted to a critism of my post by Sean. When you spend time trying to be helpful and an enquirer is critical of your advice I suppose its all too easy to retort rather than just let it go and accept that we all see things differently.

Please accept my apologies Sean , it must have been one of my off days!... I will edit my post

no I don't think you misjudged my response .Thank you for bringing it to my attention

I probably over-reacted to a critism of my post by Sean. When you spend time trying to be helpful and an enquirer is critical of your advice I suppose its all too easy to retort rather than just let it go and accept that we all see things differently.

Please accept my apologies Sean , it must have been one of my off days!... I will edit my post

I actually took your advice and await the results, but I did not criticise your advice, only the camera in terms of having to make compromises to get the results.

In my experience I would much rather review photos in the field before I leave the site. Even if I have taken 1000 shots I may not have got a perfect one - all out of focus or something spoiling the background, that kind of thing.

Apology accepted. Don't edit your post!

Sean (who has had quite a number of photos published in magazines and books - not bad for an amateur)

Going back to the camera, mine's just arrived I will try and find time, soon, to photograph the same thing with the Fuji and my Canon 500D and Tamron 200 - 500 so people can make up their own minds how just over £200 worth of gear compares in IQ with about £1400 worth.

I find it very difficult to make a good judgement about the quality of a photograph on a camera despite the fact that my Canon has a good screen.

Going back to the camera, mine's just arrived I will try and find time, soon, to photograph the same thing with the Fuji and my Canon 500D and Tamron 200 - 500 so people can make up their own minds how just over £200 worth of gear compares in IQ with about £1400 worth.

I find it very difficult to make a good judgement about the quality of a photograph on a camera despite the fact that my Canon has a good screen.

I for one would be very interested in those results.....a.s.a.p PLEASE

I have been using my HS10 for a few weeks now and have had very few of the problems mentioned above. I have had no problem with noise or battery life.
I don't expect it to take SLR quality images. I'm more interested in using birds as one element of a picture rather than photographing birds for the sake of it, so I don't require feather perfect images. However I do use it for gathering reference material for drawing birds and find that it gives me plenty enough detail for this. I'm delighted with it.

I have been using my HS10 for a few weeks now and have had very few of the problems mentioned above. I have had no problem with noise or battery life.
I don't expect it to take SLR quality images. I'm more interested in using birds as one element of a picture rather than photographing birds for the sake of it, so I don't require feather perfect images. However I do use it for gathering reference material for drawing birds and find that it gives me plenty enough detail for this. I'm delighted with it.

Hi Richard and welcome. Look forward to seeing some of your HS10 captures :t:

I for one would be very interested in those results.....a.s.a.p PLEASE

I haven't forgotten but I'm waiting for a time when it's sunny and I'm at home. What I did before was put an OS map up and photograph that, the contour lines are a good way to reveal lack of sharpness. But it's a waste of time doing it in poor light as there's no doubt that SLRs are in a different league at high ISO.

I haven't really had much chance to play with mine yet but the time writing to the card, after taking a shot is going to be a bit annoying to SLR users used to several shots per second rather than several seconds per shot. It's not to bad if you take JPEGs rather than RAW shots but I'm not keen on doing that.

But it'll be on my belt when an SLR would often be in the boot of my car!

Hi Richard

These shots are very good.

Can you give some indication of how far away the birds were, what iso setting, weather, shutter speed etc?

Thanks

Sean

To be honest they do not appear to be any better than I would expect from my Panasonic FZ45 with its allegedly "overpopulated" 14 mp CCD sensor.

To be honest they do not appear to be any better than I would expect from my Panasonic FZ45 with its allegedly "overpopulated" 14 mp CCD sensor.

yes but as Sean says it all depends on available light , level of zoom , ISO setting etc . In the water shot for instance there is a huge amount of reflected light from the water which any camera is going to struggle to contend with without lens hood,filters and manual settings

To be honest the images do not appear to have been processed at all and there is much that can be done to improve them but then again there is a lot to be said for unadulterated images .:t:

I suppose every image taken is a personal one. I might try to crop the image a little more to remove some of the distracting water flow in the foreground and some of the contrast at the rear . I also might be tempted to see if I can crop just one bird and re-compose the shot. Its all individual interpretation.

Excellent captures Richard by the way. Hope you'll excuse me messing about with your images to illustrate my point about the differnt way we all see things
165700_1789067852171_1403846026_32093947_1954123_n.jpg

birdcrop.jpg

singlebirdcrop.jpg

Last edited:
It is worth noting that the HS10 is being replaced with the HS20 (which has a much higher pixel count) so HS10s are likely to vanish from the shops very rapidly.

A point I should have made is that regardless of the arguments about pixel counts, I don't any noticiable difference in the superzooms between the 10mp and 14mp cameras, they all seem to perform well in good lighting conditions and up to iso levels of 400 after which the images cease to be use for anything other than IDing purposes.

Like it or not (and I don't like it) on anything other than a bright day a DSLR with it larger sensor is going to beat any superzoom hands down.

At around £225 the HS10 is a bargain and if it is going to deliver what you want I would not hesitate about buying one as they are going to vanish from the shops pretty quickly. In the meantime I remain happy with my Panasonic FZ45 as it appears to deliver adequate results in suitable conditions and I suspect that an HS10 would be no better ... but would cost £50 less.

For your circa £225, you are going to also get a flip up viewing screen which can be useful when doing macro shots (and is an advantage over my FZ45), and you are also going to get plenty of advise here of how to get the best out of the camera.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back