Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Your Most Used Binoculars?

Old Saturday 23rd March 2019, 15:07   #26
Tero
Retired

8x42 Monarchs, ED. I wore out the rubber armour in 5 years. They sent me a new pair.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 2nd April 2019, 02:25   #27
razor6

Leica 7x42 HD+ is the one I always grab first.
Old Tuesday 2nd April 2019, 07:40   #28
Troubador

Most used must be Zeiss SF 8x42 but its not that simple. Very close behind and possibly in equal 1st place would be Meopta MeoStar B1 8x32, these getting major workouts on all our Scottish expeditions. End of story? No. Local walks from my home usually involve an Opticron Traveller 8x32 and on my work station there is a Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25. In the south of France Zeiss's fast focusing Conquest HD 8x32 proved in practice to be the best at handling fast appearing and disappearing mixes of birds, dragonflies and butterflies. And during Scottish island holidays Meopta's MeoStar 7x42 is establishing a niche for itself (its my first 7x) and its too early to know where this will lead.

Lee
Old Tuesday 2nd April 2019, 11:10   #29
iveljay

Difficult - for proper birding trips - the 8x32 FL (or 10x35 EII if I feel the need for 10x) between them by far the most miles with me. Likelyhood of seeing different things very high - so go for what works for me, long periods of use so relaxing and very sharp view.

Around here, representing bulk of birdwatching time whatever is comfortable to use, usually porros. I tend to know what to expect round here so only use bins if things don't add up. Really a sharp central zone is all thats required for occasional confirmation needs. From Olympuses best porro range, the fully multicoated EXPSI 8x42s do the job - mine are ancient, so modern ones may be different, but are my equivalent of the old comfortable, but tatty clothes you throw on when you want to feel good.

For rambling over the hills on a sunny day, sitting and idly taking a closer look, 7x42 FLs are the go to pair. Sometimes supplemented by something small and 10x.

Truth be told I can live with anything I own and everything I didn't like (or use) has gone.
Old Monday 8th April 2019, 01:44   #30
Dd61999

Amazing how many use 7x

Yet there are very few on the market these days
Old Monday 8th April 2019, 06:34   #31
alan_rymer

Smith & Wesson 8x32. I like the Bushnell Lregend HD but the diopter adjustment is buggered so can't use them. I can't get on with my Minox BL 8x33 HD.

Its not an optical illusion!. It just looks like one!.
Latest Life bird: Yellow Browed Warbler 27/10/18

BF Supporter 2004 2005 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 8th April 2019, 09:06   #32
Cluster

The binocular that spends most time hanging around my neck is the M7 8x30. It is my bin for hiking and non-birding holidays. If birding is the objective, it's my UV7x42HD or if it's a risk to my bins (lots of travel etc) then my ED2 7x36.
Although the 8x30 are not in the same league as my bigger bins, I settle into using them and can enjoy the view without that feeling that I am missing something (aside for the extra focussing effort).
Old Tuesday 9th April 2019, 15:18   #33
jremmons
Wildlife Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd61999 View Post
Amazing how many use 7x

Yet there are very few on the market these days
Binocular users in the BirdForum/Binoculars forum represent what I assume is a very small minority of binocular users, and in many cases have multiple pairs of optics to best fit the situation in which they may be needed.
10x42 and 8x42 are far more common for typical users, particularly if they only have one pair, I would wager. I very rarely see 7x magnification or 32mm objectives in the field.

Justin
Old Thursday 11th April 2019, 13:34   #34
Kammerdiner

I haven't posted recently because I've been so stinking satisfied with my most used binos.

8.5 SV first. But not most used.

8x32 SV is the most used. Smaller, lighter, superb ergqonomics. It just does everything.

Mark
Old Friday 12th April 2019, 07:08   #35
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by jremmons View Post

Binocular users in the BirdForum/Binoculars forum represent what I assume is a very small minority of binocular users

Justin
You are right Justin. Birdforum membership has just exceeded 158,000. Think about that number and reflect on how many folks actually post on binos or scopes. Members that post are clearly a tiny minority and to that extent are different from other members. But there is more. Birdforum is visited by thousands who are not members (we call them guests) and don't join because they have no intention to post anything, only to read. Some join after a while though but nevertheless the total readership (members plus guests) is astronomical compared with the numbers that actually post on binos or scopes.

Of course many members post elsewhere on the forum but that only emphasises that their interest is primarily not binos or scopes. Guests do flock to binos and scopes and can sometimes equal the number of members that visit a thread.

And they probably all have different views on what constitutes 'value for money' and often this can be driven by other demands on their income.

Lee
Old Friday 12th April 2019, 14:25   #36
jremmons
Wildlife Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kammerdiner View Post
I haven't posted recently because I've been so stinking satisfied with my most used binos.

8.5 SV first. But not most used.

8x32 SV is the most used. Smaller, lighter, superb ergqonomics. It just does everything.

Mark
Yep, that was kind of what I meant by starting the thread in that what you may judge as your best binocular may not in fact be your most used (or even favorite) pair, depending on other qualities/circumstances.

Justin
Old Friday 12th April 2019, 15:07   #37
pbjosh

For me, most used is one of my favorites thought not the "best" objectively speaking. It's my MHG 8x30. 95% of the time the quality jump to a x42 alpha is neither necessary or noticeable, and the light weight, wide field, and great ergonomics make it very enjoyable. I only carry the 8x42s on pelagics and inside of forest, and I carry 10x42s for demanding open country or shorebird situations.
Old Friday 12th April 2019, 20:16   #38
luckmurph

That will be my 8 x 42 BN's had them way over 20 years now , never let me down & really can't see any benefits in changing them!
Old Friday 12th April 2019, 22:42   #39
Patudo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post
Hello,

From the previous posts, it seems that 8x30/33 are favoured by almost half. If anyone named two, I counted that as a half, so I count 8 out of 17.This small sample is counter to current wisdom that the 32mm binoculars are unpopular. Of course, I count eleven North Americans and one post by someone who spends time in Barbados, which might skew results to the smaller objective.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood
Another whose most often used binocular is the 8x32, in my case the FL, although in summer I enjoy using 8x30 porros a lot. I can't say the Plastic Alpha is my favourite, in that I enjoy the experience of using others more, but is arguably the best binocular I own - super sharp, bright, compact, allows the use of glasses. Great combination of magnification, field of view and size.
Old Friday 12th April 2019, 23:46   #40
pbjosh

Just tonight I am packing for a month in Brazil, leaving tomorrow. I am taking 8x42 SFs, of course, as they are my best and most all around bins. If It weren’t for the certainty of tropical forest birding I would take the MHG’s, they are so light and ergonomically excellent. Maybe I really should get an 8x32FL
Old Sunday 14th April 2019, 12:30   #41
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post
Hello,

From the previous posts, it seems that 8x30/33 are favoured by almost half. If anyone named two, I counted that as a half, so I count 8 out of 17.This small sample is counter to current wisdom that the 32mm binoculars are unpopular. Of course, I count eleven North Americans and one post by someone who spends time in Barbados, which might skew results to the smaller objective.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood
Over here in the UK 32mm binos are increasing in popularity. I see Opticrons as often as I see Swaros and Opticron sell more 32s than 42s and one of our most prominent dealers, Cley Spy, reports that they easily sell many more EL SV 32s than 42s.

Lee
Old Tuesday 16th April 2019, 05:13   #42
b-lilja

Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32s. Fabulous binoculars. I wish they'd make an 8x32 Victory SF, just to see what it would be.
Old Tuesday 16th April 2019, 20:01   #43
[email protected]

Probably my Swarovski 8x32 SV FP although I have been using my Swarovski 10x32 SV FP a lot lately. When you carry a binocular all day you really appreciate size and weight.
Old Tuesday 16th April 2019, 21:40   #44
NoSpringChicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
one of our most prominent dealers, Cley Spy, reports that they easily sell many more EL SV 32s than 42s.

Lee
Yes, they sold me one a couple of weeks ago. It was an easy sale for them and I am extremely pleased with my purchase.

Ron

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 17th April 2019, 08:12   #45
Bob A (SD)

Swarovski SLC B 7x42 (2003 with Swarobrite Neu coatings) and a Leupold Gold Ring 9x35 1st Generation Model #52277 Japanese made IF 7.3 FOV porro (1983; factory refurbished 2007).

Bins: Swaro 7x42 B SLC; ZenRay 7x36 ED2; Pentax 8x32DCF-WP/9x21UCF; Minox BD6.5x32 IF; Leupold GR 9x35IF/8x30Yosemite; Dakota 7x28; Binolux 7x35s 11 & 10.5; ZOMZ 6x30 12.5

Last edited by Bob A (SD) : Wednesday 17th April 2019 at 08:21.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: