Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

I don't completely love the ED50

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Wednesday 30th January 2019, 21:51   #26
NDhunter
Registered User
 
NDhunter's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ND
Posts: 3,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-lilja View Post
I'm starting to wish I hadn't bought a grey market ED50 from Japan via the bay...I wonder if I just sent it to Nikon, if they'd hassle me, or if they track serial numbers to markets. Maybe worth a try?
They do track ser. #'s. So you should check first before sending it off.
You may have to send it to Japan, if you used a proper Japanese source.

Gray market is a very big deal, Nikon deals with this every day in cameras
and lenses. Same policy with sports optics.

Getting wty. on those is iffy, that market undercuts the US sellers, and so
the story goes. The majors all have the same policies, that is why the ser.
# is a needed part of the wty.

Let us know how things work out for you.

Jerry
NDhunter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 31st January 2019, 13:02   #27
Royfinn
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Jyväskylä
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-lilja View Post
I'm starting to wish I hadn't bought a grey market ED50 from Japan via the bay...I wonder if I just sent it to Nikon, if they'd hassle me, or if they track serial numbers to markets. Maybe worth a try?
Interesting, I just checked ed50 prizes in ebay Japan and they a lot cheaper, even with taxes included. I would like to know what risks are involved in ebay shopping...
Royfinn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 31st January 2019, 14:12   #28
Pileatus
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-lilja View Post
I'm starting to wish I hadn't bought a grey market ED50 from Japan via the bay...I wonder if I just sent it to Nikon, if they'd hassle me, or if they track serial numbers to markets. Maybe worth a try?
Have you tested with the 25-75X (13-40X) eyepiece? In clear weather it should be pin sharp at 40X.
Pileatus is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 1st February 2019, 04:01   #29
etudiant
Registered User
BF Supporter 2019

 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 4,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royfinn View Post
Interesting, I just checked ed50 prizes in ebay Japan and they a lot cheaper, even with taxes included. I would like to know what risks are involved in ebay shopping...
Don't know about pricing relative to ebay, but have had good experience buying new Nikon gear from Japan via Tenso, a forwarding service with links to Amazon Japan and other sources.
https://www.tenso.com/en/inquiry/
Likewise had good luck buying eye pieces from Japanese ebay sources, so hopefully the risk is small.
etudiant is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 1st February 2019, 04:17   #30
b-lilja
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: US
Posts: 110
Oh, I found my ebay seller in Japan to be great - the issue is that I now have a brand new scope that I probably should return/replace, or at least send in for warranty - and it is a lot more hassle going back to Japan.

I wish, as others have mentioned, that the ED50 was sold in the US with a body only option - the only option here is to buy with the zoom eyepiece, for more than twice the grey market body only price.
b-lilja is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 1st February 2019, 04:20   #31
Royfinn
Registered User

 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Jyväskylä
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
Don't know about pricing relative to ebay, but have had good experience buying new Nikon gear from Japan via Tenso, a forwarding service with links to Amazon Japan and other sources.
https://www.tenso.com/en/inquiry/
Likewise had good luck buying eye pieces from Japanese ebay sources, so hopefully the risk is small.
Thanks. I have also searched Amazon Japan possibilities. For now it seems that it's possible to order products straight from Japan to Finland.

It seem's that ED50a = 223 € in Japan and fixed 27x eyepiece = 142 €, total = 365 € + postage + taxes, which makes close to 500 € in Finland.

In Amazon-uk ED50a = 468 €, fixed 27x eyepiece = 350 €, total = 818 € + postage.
Royfinn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 1st February 2019, 11:20   #32
Alexis Powell
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: LY+DG counties, Kansas, USA
Posts: 3,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
Don't know about pricing relative to ebay, but have had good experience buying new Nikon gear from Japan via Tenso, a forwarding service with links to Amazon Japan and other sources.
https://www.tenso.com/en/inquiry/
Likewise had good luck buying eye pieces from Japanese ebay sources, so hopefully the risk is small.
It is easy to buy grey market from Japan in the USA through Amazon USA (no need for Amazon Japan or Tenso, or for ebay).
I got an angled ED50 a couple years ago for under $300 including shipping. Currently, they are ~$334.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...&condition=new

--AP

Last edited by Alexis Powell : Friday 1st February 2019 at 11:28.
Alexis Powell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 1st February 2019, 11:27   #33
Alexis Powell
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: LY+DG counties, Kansas, USA
Posts: 3,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-lilja View Post
Oh, I found my ebay seller in Japan to be great - the issue is that I now have a brand new scope that I probably should return/replace, or at least send in for warranty - and it is a lot more hassle going back to Japan.

I wish, as others have mentioned, that the ED50 was sold in the US with a body only option - the only option here is to buy with the zoom eyepiece, for more than twice the grey market body only price.
It really is unfortunate that Nikon has stopped selling the ED50 in the USA body only and at a competitive price. It used to be possible to get it with full USA warranty for ~$425.

Given the cost difference, it is hard not to go with grey market and hope that it works out. Two for the price of less than one! Apart from the discussion in this thread, I haven't encountered a lemon ED50, so I consider grey market worth the risk. The cost difference is just too great. Certainly, it is the way to go for eyepieces, which are exceedingly unlikely to be defective or to ever need service.

--AP
Alexis Powell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 1st February 2019, 14:53   #34
henry link
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: north carolina
Posts: 4,348
b-lilja,

I would do a star test of the ED50 with your zoom eyepiece set at 40X before you conclude that the ED50 is certainly defective. Another less definitive test would be to make a 50mm paper stop down mask for your 82mm or 60mm scope and compare its resolution at 40x with the ED50 at 40x.
henry link is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 2nd February 2019, 16:05   #35
b-lilja
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: US
Posts: 110
Thanks Henry, seems like good advice.
b-lilja is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 16th April 2019, 05:25   #36
b-lilja
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: US
Posts: 110
Just a brief update...

Based on this thread I sent my ED50 to Nikon USA for service. They serviced it as under warranty. It was returned with a vague note about being cleaned (can't actually remember exact language). The scope was indeed sharper, but now the focus was juddery/sticky - not the wheel but seems like the prism was actually sticking a bit and jumping while focusing. Strange. So it's now back at Nikon. I'm sure they'll get it fixed though frustrating to have to do it twice.

The serviced scope resolution is indeed impressive and about what I was expecting in the first place. It is a great deal assuming you get one that is good. However, I would not put it on par with the ED82.
b-lilja is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 16th April 2019, 06:30   #37
jring
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-lilja View Post
Just a brief update...

Based on this thread I sent my ED50 to Nikon USA for service. They serviced it as under warranty. It was returned with a vague note about being cleaned (can't actually remember exact language). The scope was indeed sharper, but now the focus was juddery/sticky - not the wheel but seems like the prism was actually sticking a bit and jumping while focusing. Strange. So it's now back at Nikon. I'm sure they'll get it fixed though frustrating to have to do it twice.

The serviced scope resolution is indeed impressive and about what I was expecting in the first place. It is a great deal assuming you get one that is good. However, I would not put it on par with the ED82.
Hi,

good to hear they did sth about the optics (I would guess, the cleaning consisted of unscrewing the objective lens, having a quick look inside and screwing in another objective lens ;-).

Too bad they messed up the focus drive in the process - let's hope they get it right this time...

PS: Since resolution of an ideal instrument depends on the aperture, it is expected that an ED82 is better in this regard.

Joachim
jring is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 16th April 2019, 17:18   #38
Darkus_Markus
Registered User
 
Darkus_Markus's Avatar

 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: London
Posts: 38
I have the ED50 and ED82 and x27, x30, x38 and MCII zoom and absolutely love them, I'm not a huge fan of the zoom but the DS eyepieces are fantastic.

If you really want something that small to feel like the ED82 you could consider the Kowa 553.
I had the opportunity to compare one to the ED50 x27 side by side at the weekend, not a huge surprise the Kowa was a lot better, much brighter, sharper and while the zoom does "key hole" when you zoom in it still feels easy on the eye.

Of course it's expensive, has a fixed eyepiece, and zoom is tops at x45 but have to say I was mightily impressed, especially when considering it against the ED50.

Saying all that I still enjoyed using my little Nikon for the rest of the day at the wetlands.
Darkus_Markus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Video: Love Birds Can't Help Falling in Love (added by J_J) BirdForum TV BirdForum TV Discussion 0 Friday 17th March 2017 09:48
Am I completely nuts? Vespobuteo Zeiss 57 Friday 11th April 2014 07:16
Something completely unexpected bill moss Birds & Birding 12 Friday 17th November 2006 11:00
completely new to this....can someone help NewToThis Say Hello 7 Wednesday 8th June 2005 09:00

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.30055809 seconds with 27 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 02:26.