Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 97 votes, 4.95 average.
Old Monday 9th April 2012, 08:56   #26
PHW

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchat View Post
Cheers for responding to the request for info. I must admit I wouldn't know the best public transport links. I'm guessing it would be about a mile or so walk from Droitwich railway station to get here if that option was tried.
Yes the Railway station is only a short distance from the Town centre just walk down the hill untill you find the canal then walk westerly down the tow path for yes about a mile.

Phil.
Old Tuesday 10th April 2012, 20:23   #27
Woodchat
Cogito ergo sum

The spring migrants seem slow to arrive this year at Coney Meadow. Last year, both Reed and Sedge Warblers had already appeared by the 11th April and 400+ Sand Martins were roosting in the reedbed. None of these were present this evening but it can't be long now until they put in an appearance.

Highlights this evening were 1 male Kestrel, 1 Sparrowhawk, Raven, 2 Gadwall, Chiffchaff 2 Snipe, 2Jays, 3 Grey Herons and 2+ singing Water Rails.
Old Wednesday 11th April 2012, 19:15   #28
Woodchat
Cogito ergo sum

An adult Great Black Backed Gull flew due south over Coney meadow this evening at about 7:30 pm.

A single House Martin was the only nod towards spring migration and, amazingly, the first hirundine I've recorded here this year.

Two Ravens, two Buzzards, Sparrowhawk, Green Woodpecker and Great Spot. A pair of Gadwall again and a Lapwing over.

Last edited by Woodchat : Wednesday 11th April 2012 at 20:29.
Old Saturday 14th April 2012, 16:30   #29
Woodchat
Cogito ergo sum

5 Swallows this afternoon plus Mistle Thrush, Raven, Buzzard, Kestrel, Linnets, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, pair of Gadwall, Skylark and Water Rails. Goldcrest, Treecreeper and Coal Tit in Salwarpe Village.

Still no signs of any acros and summer migrants still very thin on the ground. I'll give it another bash tomorrow.
Old Sunday 15th April 2012, 06:56   #30
Woodchat
Cogito ergo sum

HOOPOE just flew low due north east directly over Coney Meadow!!!!!
Old Sunday 15th April 2012, 10:26   #31
Woodchat
Cogito ergo sum

Unfortunately, the Hoopoe could not be relocated after searching nearby horse paddocks and playing fields. Many thanks to Phil Andrews for helping me look but it was always going to be a needle in a haystack, really - but maybe it'll pop up again. Excellent flight views were obtained for maybe 30 seconds - I picked it up in the distance as it flew in typical floppy flight directly towards me - it eventually passed virtually directly over my head at tree-top height and then continued to fly due east-north-east towards Droitwich. A superb addition to my patch list.

A second addition came in the form of 2 Shelducks that flew over heading towards Westwood. Other birds noted in the area today included 7 Willow Warblers, 1 Sand Martin, 2 Ravens, 2 Mistle Thrushes, Treecreeper, 4 Meadow Pipits over, Water Rail, GS and Green Woodpeckers, 5 Buzzards, Coal Tit, female Kestrel (eating worms) and a Swallow.

A really excellent morning - things are looking up at last!

Last edited by Woodchat : Sunday 15th April 2012 at 10:41.
Old Sunday 15th April 2012, 14:15   #32
Phil Andrews
It's only Rock and Roller but I like it

Quote:
Unfortunately, the Hoopoe could not be relocated after searching nearby horse paddocks and playing fields. Many thanks to Phil Andrews for helping me look but it was always going to be a needle in a haystack, really - but maybe it'll pop up again. Excellent flight views were obtained for maybe 30 seconds - I picked it up in the distance as it flew in typical floppy flight directly towards me - it eventually passed virtually directly over my head at tree-top height and then continued to fly due east-north-east towards Droitwich. A superb addition to my patch list.
Not a problem Dave - first time I had visited Coney Meadow and the surrounding area; a very promising piece of habitat. Many thanks for showing me around.
Old Tuesday 17th April 2012, 17:32   #33
SellyoakBirder
hantsbirder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHW View Post

Bus number 144 to Droitwich then find the Droitwich Barge canal A 20 minute walk will take you to Coney meadow, passing playing fields on your righthand side the nature reserve is after you pass the running track take the next path on the right hand side. Coney meadow itself is about half mile further down the canal on the right hand side, hope that makes sense.

Phil
Thanks for the info. I take the 144 to upton warren. So I could combine the both together
Old Tuesday 17th April 2012, 21:13   #34
Woodchat
Cogito ergo sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SellyoakBirder View Post
Thanks for the info. I take the 144 to upton warren. So I could combine the both together
Good Luck when you do visit, SOB.

It was a little quiet when I visited yesterday evening - and cold and windy - but I did manage to see Kestrel, Kingfisher, Swallow, Skylark, Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, Goldcrests, Raven, Buzzard, GS Woodpecker and quite a few large gulls passing over heading south (including 9 Herring Gulls). Nothing spectacular this time but Sunday morning amply demonstrated that this site is capable of producing unexpected magic - albeit fleeting in that particular instance.

Water Rails are still calling regularly but almost impossible to see at the moment.
Old Wednesday 18th April 2012, 20:19   #35
Woodchat
Cogito ergo sum

A Cuckoo was reported south of Salwarpe village today (Steve Avery per Birding Today news service). Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to get down there now until the weekend.
Old Thursday 19th April 2012, 19:45   #36
Woodchat
Cogito ergo sum

Back at last - a Sedge Warbler was singing away in the reedbed just before dusk.
Old Saturday 21st April 2012, 14:07   #37
Woodchat
Cogito ergo sum

Reed Warbler and Sedge Warbler singing in the reedbed plus a male Kestrel, Raven, 2 Goldcrests, Skylark, Grey Wagtail and 6+ Buzzards. Reasonable numbers of Sand Martins, House Martins and a few Swallows through in the afternoon.

Butterflies on the wing included 1 Small Tortoiseshell, 1 Brimstone and 5 Orange Tips. Plenty of Bumblebees plus a Tawny Mining Bee.

Last edited by Woodchat : Sunday 22nd April 2012 at 04:54.
Old Saturday 21st April 2012, 21:03   #38
upstarts1979

Quote:
Reed Warbler and Sedge Warbler singing in the reedbed plus a male Kestrel, Raven and 6+ Buzzards.

Butterflies on the wing included 1 Small Tortoiseshell, 1 Brimstone and 5 Orange Tips. Plenty of Bumblebees plus a Tawny Mining Bee.
so that's where youv'e been hiding all day
Old Sunday 22nd April 2012, 04:43   #39
Woodchat
Cogito ergo sum

Cuckoo performing well this morning plus Reed and Sedge Warblers.
Old Sunday 22nd April 2012, 05:50   #40
Woodchat
Cogito ergo sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstarts1979 View Post
so that's where youv'e been hiding all day
Hi John,

I'm still buzzing from last week's Hoopoe. That convinced me of the real potential of this place and the fact that it currently gets very little coverage.
Old Sunday 22nd April 2012, 08:18   #41
upstarts1979

Quote:
Hi John,

I'm still buzzing from last week's Hoopoe. That convinced me of the real potential of this place and the fact that it currently gets very little coverage.
I know how you feel Dave we sat in the Hen pool yesterday, waiting for that little blue beauty. I was trying to convince Gaz to do a sleep over in there, but I don't think I convinced him. Does lightening strike twice.
To quote some of the lads "Dave W not at Upton in late April, it must be a crap spring"...we need you at the Mecca mate to find a goodie
We could then have a n 'all-dayer' at coney
John
Old Sunday 22nd April 2012, 08:19   #42
upstarts1979

Quote:
Cuckoo performing well this morning plus Reed and Sedge Warblers.
more migrants than upton yesterday
Old Monday 23rd April 2012, 12:37   #43
Woodchat
Cogito ergo sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstarts1979 View Post
I know how you feel Dave we sat in the Hen pool yesterday, waiting for that little blue beauty. I was trying to convince Gaz to do a sleep over in there, but I don't think I convinced him. Does lightening strike twice.
To quote some of the lads "Dave W not at Upton in late April, it must be a crap spring"...we need you at the Mecca mate to find a goodie
We could then have a n 'all-dayer' at coney
John
I like the idea of an all-dayer at Coney - probably over the bank holiday after the Upton one - I guess I'll be on my own though.
Old Tuesday 24th April 2012, 20:26   #44
Woodchat
Cogito ergo sum

Absolutely amazing, very close views of an Otter fishing in the canal by Salwarpe village this evening. At one point it stuck its head out of the water and looked straight at me! It didn't seem bothered by my presence as it continued to hunt in the same area and I watched it, on and off, for 15 minutes or more - swimming in and out of the reeds and making little gasping sounds as it surfaced occasionally.

A Redpoll singing in Droitwich Woods was a bit unusual for the time of year. Otherwise still quiet, birdwise - pair of Gadwall, 3 Sedge Warblers anda couple of Reed Warblers singing in the meadow reedbed. Mistle Thrush joined in the evensong and a Buzzard hunting on the ground for worms in one of the fields
Old Wednesday 25th April 2012, 07:51   #45
PHW

Smile

Happened to be coaching on the athletic track yesterday evening, there were 17 lesser Black Back Gulls and 6 Herring gulls feeding on the football field when I arrived, A Green Woodpecker was yaffling all evening:
Phil.
Old Saturday 28th April 2012, 16:59   #46
Woodchat
Cogito ergo sum

Popped down to the meadow this afternoon for an hour. A Grasshopper Warbler was reeling intermittently despite the chilly weather - it's good to hear one at last and, hopefully, they'll show as well as they did last year once the weather improves. Other birds of note included 2 Ravens, 2 Grey Wagtails, 2 Goldcrests, Buzzard, Kestrel, Willow Warbler, a few Swallows, Sedge Warblers, Reed Warblers and 2 Coal Tits feeding in Spruce Trees in Salwarpe village.

Oh, and a drake Gadwall.

Last edited by Woodchat : Saturday 28th April 2012 at 20:16.
Old Monday 30th April 2012, 21:41   #47
Woodchat
Cogito ergo sum

I met with British Waterway's ecologist, Mark Robinson, this evening - it was very encouraging to chat to him about the habitat and exchange views about how the site could be improved for both wildlife and visitors. I look forward to contributing further to this ongoing process and I will continue to monitor the site over the coming summer - feeding back any observations so that sympathetic management can be carried out in future. We covered quite a few topics including:
  • Reedbed enhancement - improving viewing opportunities into the sections of open water - rides and channels.
  • Possible further scrapes and pools (depending on funds).
  • Grassland maintenance and improving the floristic diversity.
  • Some areas left 'rough' with Juncus and Carex and rank herbaceous vegetation.
  • Hedgerows and scrub management
  • Bird / Bat boxes plus other structures to encourage insects and mammals
  • Security and access issues

The reeling Grasshopper Warbler showed pretty well late on this evening for about 5 minutes before disappearing into the reedbed. A couple of Swifts flew over, a Willow Warbler sang along the canal plus Grey Wagtail, singing Water Rails, Kingfisher, Raven, Reed Warblers, Sedge Warblers, Swallow, Treecreeper and Goldcrest.

A Noctule Bat flew over at dusk as well as the more numerous Pipistrelles.

It was also good to see some other fellow birders at the site - a Kestrel was seen (J Tibbets) plus a Cuckoo and a Hobby were reported this morning (P & M Lewis).

Last edited by Woodchat : Monday 30th April 2012 at 21:45.
Old Tuesday 1st May 2012, 21:15   #48
Woodchat
Cogito ergo sum

It's great to see that the pair of Ravens have successfully raised at least two young this year - they were perched in the tree they were hatched in this evening, stretching their wings and jumping around excitedly when their parents came in with food - it looks like they'll be fully fledged in the next couple of days.

A singing Common Whitethroat was a new arrival and the Gropper showed well again. Several Swifts overhead, a few House Martins and a pre-roost gathering of around 100 Swallows was nice to see, circling over the reedbed although they moved off at dusk to roost elsewhere. A Mute Swan was on the canal and a drake Gadwall flew over.
Old Wednesday 2nd May 2012, 20:58   #49
Woodchat
Cogito ergo sum

Another patch tick this evening came in the form of 2 Whimbrels which flew over heading due north. A Lesser Whitethroat called from one of the thick hedgerows.

Yesterday evening, the Grasshopper Warbler sang from one perch - so, fancying my chances, I took my camera down this evening. No such luck! - this evening it was moving around, singing from a number of areas - all I could manage were some truly appalling record shots (attached) before the light failed. I think an early morning visit might give better opportunities for photography.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grasshopper Warbler Coney Meadow.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	381998  Click image for larger version

Name:	Gropper Coney Meadow.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	381999  
Old Sunday 6th May 2012, 20:49   #50
Woodchat
Cogito ergo sum

Spent a couple of leisurely hours at the meadow today. The Grasshopper Warbler was reeling occassionally by the east gate, A Lesser Whitethroat and a Common Whitetroat were present plus 4 Gadwall (3 drakes), 100+ mixed hirundines, good views of Reed and Sedge Warblers, Goldcrest, Mistle Thrush, 2 Nuthatches, 2 Treecreepers, Grey Wagtail, Peacock butterfly, Orange Tips and Small Tortoiseshells.

4 Ravens were present (2 ad + 2 juvs) - photos attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Raven Coney Meadow.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	382837  Click image for larger version

Name:	Raven Flight Coney.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	382838  
Advertisement

Rate This Thread