• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (2 Viewers)

Thanks so much for the help guys, I’ve got a few weeks here at the start of this year so I’ll try those places out!

Another calm and sunny day at the salt pans. No sign of any Bluethroats, only two Spoonbills to add to the year list.
At Sa Barrala, no sign of any Common Cranes, I rather think I saw the last of them this winter when they flew high the other day.
Lots of Flamingoes in flight which is always a treat and a few common waders around including some Curlew.
Mike

Jack Snipe have been seen today in good numbers with 7 being logged by Juanjo at Prat de Sant Jordi, also seen by Pep and Nacho. I can’t remember more than one ever being seen without looking back at the record books but it’s a very impressive number.
Jack Snipe is a hard bird to see in Mallorca as most regulars will confirm.
Also, Maties reports large numbers of Common Snipe being seen at s’Albufera.
Mike

Jack Snipe have been seen today in good numbers with 7 being logged by Juanjo at Prat de Sant Jordi, also seen by Pep and Nacho. I can’t remember more than one ever being seen without looking back at the record books but it’s a very impressive number.
Mike

The Jack Snipe are normally secluded and hard to see, at least in Majorca, but this time they vere hungry and until 7 were seen at the same time eating out the dirt, but probably they were even more, i saw a flock of 10-12 but i thought it was impossible to be jack snipes, but they probably were because 7 were seen later.

Attachments

• 11baixa.jpg
    11baixa.jpg
    815.3 KB · Views: 152
but then the Griffon vultures came, often in groups of six or so. I didn’t count them all but they are such a majestic bird to see as they soar effortlessly over the mountains without a single flap.
Mike

Last week, I had a chance to participate in the monitoring of two potential Griffon roosting sites in the Tramuntana in an effort to update the last census of 54 birds some 7 years ago or so. At one site (Mossa) only 2 pairs showed up, visibly preparing nesting sites, while the other site counted 62 birds (Es Cosconar area). This may not be the sum total of all Griffons on Mallorca but according to the local experts it should be pretty close. Hopefully we can repeat the exercise soon to confirm.

While on the topic of census, a recent roosting count of Red Kites yielded 271 birds in 11 separate roosting sites. An impressive number, some 80 birds higher than last year.

I called in at Prat de San Jordi on my way from the airport today at 1.30. The Jack snipe were still showing but very skittish.

You are one up on me Kevin, I haven’t been to see them yet. Mike McSwiss is here so maybe us three could meet up?
Patrick. Many thanks for the information, always very welcome on here and what great news it is. I remember last year there were an estimated 188 Red Kite I believe so that’s a fantastic increase. Nice to get good news.
I didn’t count the Griffon vultures at Sóller but I would guess over 20. I’m so pleased they too are doing well.
On arriving at my usual sea-watching site this afternoon, a large flock of Song Thrushes got up from the rocks, maybe newly arrived because I have never seen them there before. There were about 20 birds.
Six Balearic shearwaters flew west, they never let me down, such brilliant little birds.
Mike

Back in Mallorca

Great to be back in Mallorca.

Happy New Year to all!

Short trip to S’Albuferata.
Birds seen included:
Flamingoes (>20), Great and Little Egrets, Crag Martins, Kestrels, Cetti warblers, Common and Green Sandpipers, Common Shellduck, Teal, Wigeon, Purple Heron, Purple Swamphen,Black winged Stilts, Stonechats, Water pipits, Corn Buntings and Willow warblers.

Only 9 Hoopoes seen

Looking forward to participate in the Big Year and meeting fellow birders

Mike

I also managed to connect with the Jack Snipe at St Jordi yesterday morning :) . Also a very showy Water Rail. I've never seen one so close and bold. A Bluethroat was also flitting around (my 6 year old son found it..).

I estimated around 1.800 White Wagtail's at their roost at Palma airport, a far cry from the 40.000 we counted 13 years ago! A long-eared owl hanging out in the palm trees in the middle of the roosting area, fairly easy to see. It was in the same place on three consecutive nights at least. Seemed pretty unfazed with all the people walking underneath it...:eek!:

Last edited:
Again at St Jordi today, several Jack Snipe, Bluethroat,Water pipit, Ringed plover, Reed bunting ,Meadow pipit, Chiffchaff,Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Kestrel and Red kite

Thanks estebannic, I know some people struggle to see Long-eared owl so that would be a good one to go for. I wonder what has caused the huge decline in White wagtails? Here in Porto Petro some explosive material is used at dusk to scare them away from the boats.
I remember seeing a very showy Water rail once before, makes a change from seeing them scuttling away back into the vegetation.
I have been to Sa Barrala every day for a week now and have not seen any Common Crane although as Pep says, someone saw them Saturday.
Only 13 Hoopoe on the polo pitch today but two tractors were on the grass making lots of noise. Hundreds of Skylarks in the area and mixed finches. Also a calling Corn bunting and raptors seemed to fill the sky there today with Red Kite, Booted Eagle and Marsh Harrier all well represented. I think a slow walk around this area would pay dividends, I’m normally short of time but I really should spend at least half a day there.
Mike

A great walk in Son Real.

Quiet at the water pond: only robins, willow warblers, great tits and crossbills seen.
Other birds seen in the area included Thekla Larks, Hoopoes, Kentish Plovers, Audouin Gulls, Mistle Thrush,RL Partridges, Firecrest,Kestrels and Booted Eagles. One Turnstone seen.

A short visit to Depuradora revealed Marsh Harriers, Crag Martins, Green Sandpipers, Booted Eagles, Shoverlers and Shellducks. Several flocks of Siskins and Goldfinches. No sign of bluethroats.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 3AD332BC-3573-4120-B3C4-F0D348F6BE85.jpeg
    3AD332BC-3573-4120-B3C4-F0D348F6BE85.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 0336677D-C815-4E7E-8FE7-9E4C8F321D83.jpg
    0336677D-C815-4E7E-8FE7-9E4C8F321D83.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 53
Another nice walk out onto the salt pans with Kevin.
First surprise of the day was a Harris Hawk flying past us and settling in a tree in the next field. These raptors are very popular with falconers and one owner recently told me that he had lost quite a few. So had his colleagues apparently so that would make quite a total free-flying in Mallorca.
There were the usual Flamingoes, a Spoonbill, Dunlin, Greenshank, Teal, Little stint, Curlew, Water rail, Hoopoe, Black headed gulls and a sky full of raptors, the usual suspects of Red Kite, Marsh Harrier and Booted Eagle. Also Peregrine and Kestrel.
Some hard weather coming in tomorrow so maybe a few more species will be available because lots of winter species are either absent or very scarce.
Having said that, the year is going well, I have even seen two Dunnocks so far.
Mike

Attachments

• CD09061F-E179-4A6D-BD52-476936447109.jpeg
    CD09061F-E179-4A6D-BD52-476936447109.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back