Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thekla Lark in southern France

Old Monday 15th April 2019, 21:57   #1
Paul Longland

Thekla Lark in southern France

Off to the camargue region in a few weeks. Will be planning a trip to mt ventoux region whilst there and some time ago read a report regarding the regions only site for Thekla lark somewhere and now cannot find it.
I am sure that I did not imagine this as it gave the name of the village stating that the birds can be found in the hilly area just to the north of the village. I did find it on the map at the time somewhere NW of Mt ventoux but now am at a loss.

Anybody who has any information that might lead us to the right place would be gratefully received.
Old Monday 15th April 2019, 22:05   #2
RafaelMatias

I presume you have tried ebird?
Old Tuesday 16th April 2019, 06:38   #3
Paul Longland

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelMatias View Post
I presume you have tried ebird?
Yes. Doesnt give any returns. It seems to have a few gaps for the region. Really am beginning to think that I must of imagined the whole thing. I have this vague memory that it was in a trip report by some Scandinavian guy but that could be my memory playing tricks on me too.
Old Tuesday 16th April 2019, 09:53   #4
Nutcracker
Stop Brexit!

Not mapped anywhere near the Camargue / Mt Ventoux area in either the EBCC European Breeding Atlas, nor the new Handbook of W Pal Birds. The only French population is close to the Spanish border in the Perpignan area.

Getting mixed up with Pin-tailed Sandgrouse??
Old Tuesday 16th April 2019, 09:56   #5
Fat Paul Scholes
My real name is Mark Lewis

The only French sites for Thekla's lark are far in the SW, near the Spanish border. The eBird data reflects this quite nicely! It was either your imagination, a vagrant, or a misidentification - latter two options best choices!
Old Tuesday 16th April 2019, 19:45   #6
Paul Longland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcracker View Post
Not mapped anywhere near the Camargue / Mt Ventoux area in either the EBCC European Breeding Atlas, nor the new Handbook of W Pal Birds. The only French population is close to the Spanish border in the Perpignan area.

Getting mixed up with Pin-tailed Sandgrouse??
No hoping for them in Le Crau area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Paul Scholes View Post
The only French sites for Thekla's lark are far in the SW, near the Spanish border. The eBird data reflects this quite nicely! It was either your imagination, a vagrant, or a misidentification - latter two options best choices!
I am beginning to suspect the latter. easily confused with crested lark

I think the general consensus here is that I am obviously losing my marbles.
I have been reading so many field reports, most of which are pretty slim or lacking in detail (guided tours) I have probably gotten myself in a bit of a pickle.
Think I will just stick to Dave Gosney's booklet, ebirds and try to glean some local knowledge when we get there. Probably more fun that way and likely to be current.

Thekla Lark or not still looking at a possible 30+ potential lifers as this is my first proper birding trip outside of these shores.
Many thanks.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: