• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What do you think of this super small/light ball head (in use with Nikon ED50)? (1 Viewer)

The Kingfisher

I have allways used a video head when birding with my Nikon ED50 + 27xDS, but now I'm thinking of trying a ball head instead. Even if the whole package is rather light allready, another smaller head would make the package even lighter. A lot lighter actually. I have found a very small and very light ball head called Novoflex Ball 19. Max load is 3 kg and it weights only 92 grams. Maybe it's too small and light for the ED50?!

I will use it on a carbon tripod, a Triopo GT-3230. The scope with the 27x eyepiece, the Triopo tripod and this little ball head will have a common mass of only 2142 grams! |:p|

Here is a link to a youtube clip showing the Novoflex head.. www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSW5qGtzVhY

Last edited:
Another option is the Manfrotto 234 RC tilt head. Maybe it's a better option than the little ball head from Novoflex? The tilt head is three times heavier than the Novoflex, but on the other hand it should be much better for panning. And still..the weight is only about 270 grams. It is, after all, about 550 grams less than 701 HDV head.. :)

Last edited:
Micro ball heads don't work very well generally. The ball has little surface area and the clamping mechanism must exert a lot of force to hold it. This affects the smoothness and tends to prevent one from adjusting to a setting where you can move the (scope in this case) and let go.
A ball head does work well with an ED50, but I'd recommend something larger.
I use a Markins Q3 and it is brilliant, but it also costs nearly $300.

Regarding the 234 head.... It doesn't pan. It has a single axis, you need at least two, and a ball head has three.

Sorry, that was stupid of me! Of course it's not possible to pan with a tilt head.. 3:)

The Markins Q3 is too expensive for a new ball head, I think. And I allready own two ball heads - both are Manfrotto (308 RC and 486 RC). I could use the 308 RC, but I don't think it's much lighter than a 701 HDV video head. Maybe a second 701HDV is the best option after all. It's a very nice head, but as said..not the smallest/lightest head for the ED50/Triopo combo..

You can save some weight with a ballhead as opposed to a video head with similar capacity but there is some sacrifice in convenience. AFAIK the Novoflex Ball 19 has no friction adjustment, so it is either clamped or loose. Novoflex also make some very good friction ballheads but they are expensive.

Apart from a friction ajustment you also need a panoramic function. For tilts above about 30° you are going to have to drop the spindle into the"vertical format" slot and without a pan function you must rotate the centre column, or even worse the whole tripod.

Have a look at small friction ballheads from FLM, Benro, Feisol or Sirui.

John

I use a Velbon QHD-41 with no usability issues on an angled ED50. Adjust to the minimun tension to keep the scope from flopping over and use a pistol grip with your palm around the head to move the scope on target. Simple, effective, and super lightweight.

Interesting..that Velbon head is not much bigger and heavier than the Novoflex head I mentioned in my first post. Maybe the micro ball head would work with the ED50 after all?! I think I will order one and try it for myself.. :)

head for ED50

You can use the manfrotto 234RC, but only if you don't need to use the centre column of the tripod, as loosened this can serve as the pan function.

I have used manfrotto ball heads before, and still do if I'm primarily going out photographing. if you haven't already, have a look at the Manfrotto 494RC which has friction control.

However if out birding, I now use a Velbon FHD-52Q which works very well with my ED50, but at 480g may be a too heavy as you were after lightweight option.

On the subject of super-light tripods for the ED50, has anyone used this Sirui before? I saw it a couple months ago but didn't have my scope with me. They claim a weight of 800 grams and a folded length of 11.8 inches.

It didn't appear as stable as the aluminum one I now use, which weighs about a kilo and folds to 17 inches.

It sure was light, and frankly kind of cute:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/822241-REG/Sirui_BSRT025_T_025_5_Section_Carbon_Fiber.html

http://www.sirui-photo.com/EN/frm_ProductInfo_En.aspx?ProductID=99

Mark

. Even if the whole package is rather light allready, another smaller head would make the package even lighter. A lot lighter actually. I have found a very small and very light ball head called Novoflex Ball 19. Max load is 3 kg and it weights only 92 grams. Maybe it's too small and light for the ED50?!

Hi, just in case you did not yet think about it: if you're after saveing weight, a monopod is a good option with the ED50. I use a monostat and the RC234, the whole combo weights about 1,6 kg. It works well (no shaking), but of couse has some disadvantages compared to a tripod.

I am using a Gitzo ball head, GS5370C, that I am delighted with. It is very stable and has a separate control for a very smooth panning action. I have it mounted on a Slik carbon fiber tripod model Pro 634CF. I use this featherweight setup for my ED 50, and can carry it all day using a shoulder strap.

I used this same tripod and ball head the other day with my somewhat heavier Opticron GS 52 scope and found it to be very stable. I think I like this scope better than my ED 50, but if I didn't wear glasses, I'd probably be content with the Nikon.

Didn’t notice this thread until just now, or would’ve chimed in earlier.

I have never tried the Novoflex head, but I use a very lightweight ball head for my ED50 that I am very happy with- the Really Right Stuff BH-25:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=Ballhead25&key=cat

As you can see, it’s not cheap, though not as expensive as a Markins Q3. I got mine secondhand for $50, added a Jobu QRR1 clamp, a 2” bidirectional plate from Hejnar Photo. This, together with the scope, 20x MC wide eyepiece, and a Slik 634CF tripod with the removable part of its center column left out, adds up to about 1754g. :bounce:

The head works very nicely indeed- though there’s no tension control as such, I do what RJM describes in his post: adjust the lock to the tension amount needed to keep the scope from flopping over, and you’re good to go. This is the first ball head I’ve tried on the scope that allows me to set the tension such that the scope won’t flop no matter what position it’s in, but can still be moved smoothly and easily (I had a Velbon QHD-41 too, but I couldn’t get the tension such that it was smooth but secure as I can with the RRS- either it the tension was loose enough so the scope could still flop over in certain unbalanced positions, or it was so tight it was kind of jerky- may’ve just been my sample. This problem was shared by a Slik SBH-100 head I tried.). You can basically just keep the tension at that setting indefinitely- no fiddling with the lever required in order to use the scope when you see a bird.

I carried this setup with a shoulder strap, tripod legs extended, around with me every day of a 2 ½ week birding trip to Ecuador recently. Except for the fact that, when turning around, you have to remember you now have a fairly lengthy carbon fiber tail sticking out behind you, you’d hardly know it was there.

Last edited:
I carry all tripods with a shoulder strap and legs pointing forward which gives me more control of the legs. When in a crowd I merely point the legs straight up. Also by having the legs pointed forward I can shorten or lengthen the legs while I walk.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back