• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grey Plover and First Winter Dunlin (1 Viewer)

willie45

This is probably a ridiculous question so apologies to start. Most of my birdwatching is in the garden and I'm a bit of a numpty at Bird ID apart from there so please bear with me.

I was down at Oare Marshes today just having a look and I noticed a bird which was a bit like a Grey Plover but might have been a first winter Dunlin. I'm guessing the most obvious difference might be size but it was some way off and on it's own so I'm not sure.

Can someone help me by explaining the easy way to tell them apart.

Thank you kindly

Three things to look for:

1. Length of bill. Grey plover short, stubby, black - Dunlin longer, thinner, also black
2. In flight Grey plover have a very obvious black 'armpit'
3. Both can have black belly feathers left over from summer plumage at the time of year, but Dunlin will usually who some light brown/rufous on the back and wing coverts. Grey plovers often look 'spangled' on the back/coverts.

Also Grey plovers will often feed and move by walking a few steps quickly, then stopping, then walking a few steps, then stopping etc.

Photo of Grey plover below. Google the names and you'll get loads of photos showing the differences.

Mick

P.S. If you have more ID questions I'd post them in the ID forum.

Attachments

• Apr15 Grey plover 01.JPG
    Apr15 Grey plover 01.JPG
    888.6 KB · Views: 84
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back