• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Conwy (1 Viewer)

pinky & rosie

I apologise for my lack of knowledge!!!
Hi was just wondering whether any of u experts have been to the rspb reserve at Conwy N. Wales? I am debating going out there tomorrow but have been told by a few people it is a wasted journey as nothing much goes on although according to their website there have been a fair few sightings. Any comments greatly appreciated as its a rather long drive especially with my 2 year old!!!

Many thanx

Hi Pinky & Rosie, Conwy is always worth a visit especially if you combine it with a visit to llanfairfechan to do some sea watching or to the Great Orme. Jack Snipe, Smew and Water rail have all been seen at Conwy recently. There are usually a good selection of waders there. If you go to the RSPB website and look up Conwy you will see a recent sightings page which should give you up to date info.

thanx had already looked at web site i thought it looked ok with a good few sightings but was told it wasn't that good. Also noticed u from lancashire would greatly appreciate any info on good patches round there too as i live in between merseyside and lancashire really right on border! i am quite new to bird watching and am still tryin to find good places to visit.

thanx

Living as you do in Lancs/Merseyside I presume you know all about Marshside RSPB, Southport. As a novice it is always possible to pick up ID tips from experienced birders so anywhere that birders 'honeypot' towards is worth visiting - Pennington Flash has an abundance of hides and many friendly birders and the feeders afford the opportunity to get great close-ups of many species, including marauding sparrowhawk and water rail.

If you are new to birding I think you should try Martin Mere, there's something for everyone there and plenty for the beginner with over a 1,000 Whooper Swans and plenty of Geese, Teal, Wigeon, Shovellers and Pochard. I was there for a couple of hours today and some of the rarer birds seen were Marsh Harriers (2) Stonechat, Brambling and Peregrine, usually a couple of Buzzards knocking around and a kingfisher. There's also Mere Sands Wood nearby.

Last edited:
Conwy is excellent. Good cafe to sit in and a board written up every day to tell you what has been spotted. I've seen little egrets, a kingfisher and many more. Furthermore it is a lovely setting with the castle in the distance. There is an excellent walk around the perimeter too.

Conwy also has a decent book section in their well stocked shop. There are quite a few other places within easy striking distance too so a good day out.

It's also a good place to get up to date information on what else is around locally, Morfa Madryn, Llanfairfechan, Aber pools, Great & Little Ormes, Abergele, Conway Valley etc.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back