• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB HD 10x42 Binoculars (1 Viewer)

doozer

I am really concidering the RSPB HD 10x42 Binoculars!
Is there any reason I shouldn't?

I really can't justify buying the Swarovski's even though I am tempted..I keep picking them up and then walking away.(I do put them back down first o:D)

Should I get the RSPB which seem great value for the money or a reasonable equivalent.

Any advice would be appretiated

When I looked through RSPB bins I was amazed at their brightness but appalled at the colours - they're just not right. I'd save up and get the Swarovski's. There are much cheaper brands which are pretty good - Hawke comes to mind first.

When I looked through RSPB bins I was amazed at their brightness but appalled at the colours - they're just not right. I'd save up and get the Swarovski's. There are much cheaper brands which are pretty good - Hawke comes to mind first.

I'd have to disagree there, i think there are brilliant for the money my dads just bought a pair and I be hard pressed to justify spending the extra to replace my swarovskis if i had to.

I'd have to disagree there, i think there are brilliant for the money my dads just bought a pair and I be hard pressed to justify spending the extra to replace my swarovskis if i had to.

I'd agree at a recent visit to RSPB Lochwinnoch I was able to compare them side by side with my Ultravids, you'd be pushed to notice any difference.

ATB

It seems to me that with binoculars, for serious users such as birders or aircraft spotters, ultimately only the best, whatever that is, can be good enough, and sooner or later the best is what such a person will own. Their path to this goal will be paved with upgrades and part-exchange deals to gain the next step on the ladder. That is all very well, but if the final cost of the exercise is considered, is there not much to be said for raiding the piggy bank and going for the top rung at once? The final outlay will be less overall.
The next thing that occurs to me is, is there not much snobbery in all this? Where birders or aircraft spotters meet, inevitably in idle moments or in the pub afterwards there will be discussions about the merits of this or that posh and expensive binocular, while perhaps not far away there will be somebody else who will be outside the discussion because "all" that he has is an old, well used ex-armed forces instrument for which he paid comparatively little and which yet will be at least as good and very likely superior to anything that members of the discussion group will have hung round their necks. It must not be forgotten that to armed forces binoculars are life-preservers, the means to see, identify and eliminate your enemy before he sees, identifies and eliminates you, and in this there can be no compromises.
I suppose what I am trying to say is, binoculars or whatever are just the means to an end, not the end itself.

After a long wait i finally got the chance to try 8x42 RSPB HD and was very dissapointed.
For the price they didn't feel particularly well built and optically just not up to it for the price.
I think they are just an average binocular with ED glass.
Minox BR BL and Opticron Imagic SE are much better at a lower price.
When I look through RSPB and Viking bins i get all colours of the rainbow radiating from the edge of the image into the blackness surrounding the image, very odd and very off-putting.

After a long wait i finally got the chance to try 8x42 RSPB HD and was very dissapointed.
For the price they didn't feel particularly well built and optically just not up to it for the price.
I think they are just an average binocular with ED glass.
Minox BR BL and Opticron Imagic SE are much better at a lower price.
When I look through RSPB and Viking bins i get all colours of the rainbow radiating from the edge of the image into the blackness surrounding the image, very odd and very off-putting.

I thought the RSPB HD's were an above average bin. Interesting you found a pair to try as they are in short supply, (8x42).

The rainbow effect I've only noticed with the RSPB WPG's, certainly not all the range of RSPB/Viking.

It seems to me that with binoculars, for serious users such as birders or aircraft spotters, ultimately only the best, whatever that is, can be good enough, and sooner or later the best is what such a person will own. Their path to this goal will be paved with upgrades and part-exchange deals to gain the next step on the ladder. That is all very well, but if the final cost of the exercise is considered, is there not much to be said for raiding the piggy bank and going for the top rung at once? The final outlay will be less overall.

There is a argument that can be made that way. The old "buy the best of everything" argument: they work the best and keep their value. They do also lock up a fair amount of capitol. Worthwhile if you know you are deeply into "the hobby" but what if you don't. And even if you aren't you can sell them on.

If you can't afford the new top end (with the current stratospheric prices) look for last generation used or demo or refurbs. All of my top end bins are one of those three.

The other good strategy is to "buy at the performance knee": a mid-priced bin (e.g. the Nikon Monarch is still the canonical example right now or Zen Ray or Bushnell or Opticron or ...). Then if you stick with the hobby the next move should be a jump to the top (rather than incremental upgrades which yield less each time).

Another strategy (when you have little money) is to buy the most with the least money: good, older, used bins or military bins (though for birding the military stuff is not so good being IF rather than CF).

But incremental upgrading can get very expensive though you do learn a lot on the journey but if you do stay with "the hobby" you will end up either mid-range (and happy) or at the top (and happy).

The next thing that occurs to me is, is there not much snobbery in all this? Where birders or aircraft spotters meet, inevitably in idle moments or in the pub afterwards there will be discussions about the merits of this or that posh and expensive binocular, while perhaps not far away there will be somebody else who will be outside the discussion because "all" that he has is an old, well used ex-armed forces instrument for which he paid comparatively little and which yet will be at least as good and very likely superior to anything that members of the discussion group will have hung round their necks.

Yeap, brand badges are used as a proxy for skill or worth. They do mean some commitment but they aren't perfect matches as you just need money not skill to by a "alpha" brand. But given the (mostly) male psyche "comparisons" are always going to be something to talk about.

I do get a kick out of the old guy (or sometimes a young guy) with an old pair of bins (sometimes a classic old pair ... that most won't recognize as classics) making a great ID that some with the expensive bins (including myself) missed! It's a good way to come back down to earth. Spotting well worn classic bins are another favorite of mine -- that's an "honest signal" for time spent in the field. A worn Nikon SE or Zeiss 10x40B both take a very nice patina with use.

The other argument for mid-priced "good enough" bins is to save the money you would spend on optics for traveling to exotic locations to see wither rare birds or or wildlife or rare planes.

just purchased the rspb 8x42 hd bins to relegate my tired but solid leica 10x32 bn's.A brief overview-tested alongside my leicas,the stores 8x50 ultravids(secondhand),zeiss conquest 8x40's plus opticron verano 8x42.on the cloudy day of test i could not seperate the rspb's and the zeiss conquests.never going to buy the 8x50 ultravids(too expensive)nice to try anyway,the veranos i could not line up to my eyes correctly,It was an easy decision to buy the rspb's,optically matching more expensive models.In light of the odd report of build quality issues,mine are fresh out of the box,so have the benefit of doubt for now...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back