• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juvenile Grebe, Israel (1 Viewer)

Orvany24

Not sure about the id. The bill seems a bit too long and slender for a Little Grebe, IMHO.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 104
Nevertheless, I think it is a Little Grebe. I don't think there are any more options anyway are there as neither Black-necked nor Slavonian breed in Israel?

RB

Nevertheless, I think it is a Little Grebe. I don't think there are any more options anyway are there as neither Black-necked nor Slavonian breed in Israel?

RB

You're right. Little Grebe is virtually the only breeding grebe here, and a common one as well.

Little chance of a juvenile grebe of some other species having migrated here from northern breeding grounds all of a sudden at this time of year.

As for the somewhat slender build - I'll have to assume it's within normal range.

Here's a link to a photo of a similarly shaped juv. LG:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...HjAhWI16QKHWkyCoEQMwjPAShcMFw&iact=mrc&uact=8

Pursuant to the eye color discussion above, here's a relevant photo of the originally posted bird, taken one week later.

Attachments

• 20-07-2019 11-40-24 (2).jpg
    20-07-2019 11-40-24 (2).jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 39
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back