• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

27/40/50x eyepiece on ED82 (1 Viewer)

Winterdune

Does anyone use this eyepiece on the big Nikon? If so could you tell me how it performs? I have the eyepiece on an ED50 and am thinking of getting the 82 body so that I can use that eyepiece for seawatching. Would it work or would the FOV be too narrow?

Sean

Hi Sean, I have the 27xw which I use on my ED50, and although I have very occasionally used it on my ED82A, I prefer the brightness, FOV and DOF of the 30xw on the latter, especially for seawatching. I find it very hard to "get on" to a bird without fairly substantial FOV, but you might be better at this! Best of Luck.

Sancho,

So you still don't use the sighting device, even after KorHaan posted those excellent illustrated instructions? Otherwise you should not have a problem "getting on" to a bird in flight or on the waves. ;)

Kimmo

Sancho,

So you still don't use the sighting device, even after KorHaan posted those excellent illustrated instructions? Otherwise you should not have a problem "getting on" to a bird in flight or on the waves. ;)

Kimmo
LOL! I do have a sighting device, very much based on Korhaan´s instructions....but I panic, and by the time I´ve regained my composure, the bird is gone.....

Hi Sean, I have the 27xw which I use on my ED50, and although I have very occasionally used it on my ED82A, I prefer the brightness, FOV and DOF of the 30xw on the latter, especially for seawatching. I find it very hard to "get on" to a bird without fairly substantial FOV, but you might be better at this! Best of Luck.

I am in an identical situation. Have the 23/40/50x on my ED50, and the 30x MC WW on my ED82. The 27/40/50x is, on the ED82, to shaky for seawatching. It is wonderfull however, for shorebirding (stilts, sitting birds of prey, ducks). I would fully recommend the 30x on the ED82, but don't forget to bring the 50x with you when going to a wide-open place with distant perching/sitting birds. The sharpness is wonderfull.

Hiya Tom

The bracket is one I made myself, basically just a stout piece of aluminium sheet bent at 90 degrees, that fits on top of the head platform, and under the scope foot. A longer bolt is needed to replace the one already fixing the scope to the platform.
The other end of the 90 degree bend, rises up the side of the scope, and stops short of where you want the RDS to be.
Two upright strips of aluminium are bolted on the top, and a further horizontal strip bolted to the top of the two upright strips. This horizontal strip is made wide enough for the RDS weaver mounts to grip on.

I hope that description makes sense Tom.

Should be dead easy to make, considering the adaptor/collar you have machined, as in your flickr pictures.

I am stiil trying to get my head round that setup you have. Does it end up with the Nikon 30x DS eyepice looking through a maxview eyepiece attached to the ED82 ??

A further explanation from you is required please.

Intrigued
Malc

Malc

No, I use them separately, although you have now got me thing what if (sorry for the confusion). I photographed them side by side for comparison. The maxview is basically a 20x eyepiece with good eye relief and I use it mainly for videoscoping.
Here is a link to birdforum TV where have uploaded a few video clips using this set up.
http://www.birdforum.tv/members/action/viewvideo/746/Mediterranean_Gull/

I use the Nikon 8400 with the 30x eyepiece.

Tom

Thanks Tom
Now I understand
Have had a look on the Scopetronix site as well, what an array of gear they have.
And thanks for the link to your videos, will take a look.

Malc

Malc
Any chance you could post a photo of the RDS bracket with the RDs attached ( if possible not attached to the scope. I have seen your photo of the setup). What are the dimensions of the bracket.
Tom

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back