• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What was the first bird you ringed? (1 Viewer)

joshjenkinsshaw

Kent Birder
I've just started training to ring and today, here at Sandwich Bay Bird obs, Kent I ringed my first ever bird; a Magpie (still in pin) that was in the Heligoland trap - nice it was too!

What was the first bird you ever ringed, where was it and when???

Josh

The first bird that I put a ring on its leg was in the cold autumn of 1979.
It was the 3rd of October, rookie then, I could make two blackcap (Sylvia atricapilla) and Robin (Erithacus rubecula).
The place is a small village in the mountains of the Sierra south of Seville and the place is called The Algarabejo.
Greetings to everyone.
Fernando Gavilan.
E.B.D. Zamalla Group
http://birdringal-andalus.blogspot.com/

If I recall correctly my initiation into the ringing/banding fraternity occurred on August 30, 2003. A birding friend (and certified bander) called to tell me he was banding and needed some help. I quickly drove over to Missouri Western State University to lend a hand. I do not remember the first bird that I placed a band on but we banded some 30 birds after I got there. Some of the birds that day were: Red-eyed Vireo, Yellow Warbler, Mourning Warblers, Black-and-white Warbler, Wilson's Warbler, Nashville Warbler, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Least Flycatcher, Northern Cardinal, Gray Catbird, Ovenbird and some Empidonax species.

It is a day I will never forget! I just do not remember the very first bird I put a band on.

Mine was a Reed Bunting, but more interestingly the third i ever ringed was a Male Bearded Tit. Only ringed another one since.

What was the first bird you ever ringed, where was it and when???

I can't remember the species, but I have my autumn 1957 field notebook for Hengistbury Head and Portland BO Dorset around the house somewhere. And that statement answers the second and third parts of your question ;) If I find the notebook I'll get back to you.

Prior to this, however, I experimented in '55 - '56 with a home-made trap on a friend's lawn in Cleveleys, Lancs. It caught a Blackbird, I remember. We ringed it with a home-made colour ring made from goodness-knows what. I'm not sure if it was legal to do so in those far-off days, but a statute of limitations presumably gets me off any hook :eek!:

Hi,

The first bird I put ring on was a European Robin Erithacus rubecula, in Smir marshes, around last week of November 2004. It seems yesterday !

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back