• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do birders like to be asked questions in hides? (1 Viewer)

happigumble

Hi all,

I've been interested in birdwatching for a while now and know a certain amount but recently I've tried to dedicate more time and effort to it. However, I still feel more than a little intimidated by those of you who clearly know what you're talking about whilst I'm still trying to ascertain which little brown wader is which! (all the while hiding my RSPB pocket book of birds from view |:$|.)

I was wondering whether the knowledgeable amongst you mind answering questions from the likes of me whilst you're in hides or would you prefer to be left well alone? Trying to get hide etiquette right!

(oops, title meant to say "be asked questions")

Recently I've had to put up with screaming ill-tempered children and noisy barking dogs in hides on well-known reserves.Not pleasant. However helping less-experienced birders or indeed complete non-birders is part of the deal in hides for most people. Rarely, people get 'up themselves' when faced with conversation(quiet and bird-related of course); to them, get a life or go birding on a reserve with no hides!!.
Seriously though, most birders are happy to help and for me there is nothing worse than someone going home struggling with an ID when all they had to do is ask.
Hint - Avoid speaking loud, talking about Big Brother, the Government, religion and you'll be fine !!
Russ

(all the while hiding my RSPB pocket book of birds from view .)

Now, now... there's no shame in being a beginner and none either in taking a guide book in with you.

Ask away - most people are delighted to help.

D

It doesn`t bother me at all,I enjoy it & always point out birds to people.What does annoy me in a hide is a know it all that clearly doesn`t.

Steve.

I certainly don't mind being asked questions as long as I know the answer. If I don't, I'll pretend I didn't hear you.:t:

Phil

Its like when you put up a photo of a Willow Warbler and say that it is because of this and that and its feathers and beak and legs and then some bright spark comes on and says great photo BUT its a Chiffchaff. How many times has that happened, lots and lots. Then you think of course I was just testing you all.

(all the while hiding my RSPB pocket book of birds from view |:$|.)

Personally I keep my RSPB guide in full view - people frequently give me helpful hints when they see me flicking through the guide trying to identify the common species sat in front of me. So that might save you worrying about whether to ask or not.

Hi all,

I've been interested in birdwatching for a while now and know a certain amount but recently I've tried to dedicate more time and effort to it. However, I still feel more than a little intimidated by those of you who clearly know what you're talking about whilst I'm still trying to ascertain which little brown wader is which! (all the while hiding my RSPB pocket book of birds from view |:$|.)

I was wondering whether the knowledgeable amongst you mind answering questions from the likes of me whilst you're in hides or would you prefer to be left well alone? Trying to get hide etiquette right!

(oops, title meant to say "be asked questions")

Ask away - and don't hide your ID book! Most people in my experience will be happy to help.

Sandra

Any birder that doesn't answer a newbie's questions should have their bins confiscated.
It's all about paying your dues.
I know when I started out I was helped enormously by the people in the hides I visited. Now I can help others so why not?
Yesterday at Fairburn Ings I went into one of the hides and a group of people in there were having difficulty with the waders. Turns out they were all newbies and they were grateful for the small amount of help I could give them.

I've no problem answering questions in a hide especially if they are relevant. What I can't stand is when some know all walks in, thumps his/her equipment around and then bores the pants off you with sheer nonsense. A sudden attack of severe wind usually cures that problem. You soon have the place to yourself again.

Si.

I can only agree with all the above, any conversation is welcome to be honest, nice to make friends and meet people who share the same passion, whatever the level. Certainly adds something to the experience if I can help another birder see a few new species and give them a few pointers on how to identify them and similar species next time

the only excuse for asking a question in a hide is if you can't find the way out of it

Hope your not being serious. I have been in hides when I have been struggling with an id. Get the book out have a look, give a tut then a blow and a shake of the head. Somebody sees this and helps out. Information is gratefully recieved. I helped an older person last week and she was so pleased that somebody helped her with info. That made me feel good. What goes around comes around.

I am a new birdwatcher and it is only through asking questions that I understand what the field guides are talking about sometimes. I had been birdwatching for a couple of months when I met an English birdwatcher here in Japan and he spent the rest of the day helping me with identification and what feathers were what. If it wasn't for people like him I would know far less than I do - so I will always answer any questions ( that I can ) in a hide / blind. Not only is it polite, it helps you make some wonderful friens sometimes.

Most of my birding is done on major reserves and everytime I'm in a hide there's always someone who wants some confirmation off more experienced birders and everytime they have they have always gotten an answer from virtually everyone else in the hide. We're all there with the same purpose, to enjoy looking at the birds and sift through all the little blobs that we see to work out what they all are. Whatever the question, never be afraid to ask! :t:

Hope your not being serious.

er, no, I wasn't

helping people with their birds can be one of the great pleasures in birding, especially if they're new for the person involved

I once twitched a Long-billed Dowitcher in Essex (Old Hall marshes I think it was), got there, got chatting to a guy about 80 I'd guess, said I'd seen a Firecrest in bushes near the car park, he replied that he'd never seen a Firecrest, so I walked back with him and his wife and spent half an hour getting him onto it, successfully in the end. Given his strike rate of 1 in around 80 years that may well be the only Firecrest he's ever seen (or ever saw, if he's since passed away)

I never did see the Dowitcher but given how grateful he and his wife were, I wasn't really bothered

especially after I charged him £40 for my wasted petrol money (oh come on, admit it, pensioners have got it easy)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back