• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best mist-net poles ever (1 Viewer)

tomjenner

Anyone whe has ever done a lot of ringing/banding using mist-nets will be aware of the hassles of carrying bundles of mist-net poles for long distances across the countryside. I will soon be doing some netting in a remote area of rainforest and was wondering how to handle this. Then I came across some fantastic 'mist-net poles' in my local hardware shop. They are made by Unger (http://www.ungerglobal.com) and they are very light weight aluminium poles, which extend from 4 to 11 feet (1.2 to 3.3 metres) very easily; they are actually designed for cleaning areas of your house that you cannot reach. It will be easy to attach a bundle to my rucksack as I walk through the forest to and from netting sites. They were a bit pricey ($28 each) here in El Salvador, but may be a bit cheaper elsewhere. They are certainly going to make my research a lot easier. Worth looking into if you net birds in remote locations.

Tom

If I understand your thread right, I'm using adjustable 7 m fiberglass fishing rods (price less than 10 Euros) as mist net poles. I have made also such bases (reminds christmas tree standing support), made from iron, which I can use places, where are a hard soil/floor. (e.g. inside the buildings > cow shelters...)
In addition to I'm using flexible mortgage "strings" (we call them cats or spiders) to 'tighten' the nets.

Last edited:
cuckooroller said:
In Italy, some use simple telescoping graphite fishing rods designed for still-line fishing - up to approx. 5 meters.

My used fishing rods are also such telescoping rods.

The second alternative is to buy carbon fibre fishing rods, and if I remember right, longest are 11 metres. Unfortunately these rods are VERY expensive and also too thin (although very strong).

This sounds like a good alternative. Are these particulary thick fishing rods? The 4 metre long rods that I am familiar with would be too flexible at the tip to use for a mist-net pole.
Tom

tomjenner said:
This sounds like a good alternative. Are these particulary thick fishing rods? The 4 metre long rods that I am familiar with would be too flexible at the tip to use for a mist-net pole.
Tom

I took off two parts from the top, so I have 5-5,5 metres long poles to use.
Poles are not so flexible and if you tighten nets with those flexible mortgage "strings", it will be good, if poles are slightly flexible.

Tom,
I think Hannu and I are talking about basically the same thing. The 5 metre jobs here in Italy are all hollow except for the last segment which is solid. If you just take out the last segment you would have about 4 metres that are not that flexible.

tomjenner said:
Hi Hannu
What are mortgage strings?

Tom

I don't know, what their official name is in English, but ...
These kind of strings we use e.g. to strapping goods in bicycle's carrier.
Mortgage string is short (lenght 30-40 cm) and a certain kind of flexible cable, where is metallic hanger in both ends, and these hangers are coated by plastic matter. I tight nets with the help of these strings.

Last edited:
Tom, if I will remember and when I will get my new digital camera, i'll take photo of these
mortgage strings....

what if you had a good catch, wont the fishing rods bend causing harm to the birds in the net? a suprise catch of Starlings for example could collaps a net i would think.
please let me know it sounds much better than carrying bamboo poles of a fixed length.

wizard said:
what if you had a good catch, wont the fishing rods bend causing harm to the birds in the net? a suprise catch of Starlings for example could collaps a net i would think.
please let me know it sounds much better than carrying bamboo poles of a fixed length.

I don't know from whom you asked your question ?

But you have same possible to collaps a net both rods and poles.

It depends, how you anchor your rods or poles in the ground !

There are at least two different way to set up this fishing rods:

1) push 50-100 cm sticks in the ground (the lenght of stick depending on your hardness of ground) and open the cork from the bottom of rods, and set the rods to stand with these sticks. Tighten the net with elasticated luggage bungees from the both ends.

2) Use handmade supports (same kind as in christmas tree) instead of sticks.
(I use this in the hard ground or near/inside the buildings, where is impossible to push sticks e.g. catch swallows in the breeding place)

Hannu
I presume that the fishing poles that you are using are quite thick. Most fisherman in the UK use fishing rods that are less than 4 metres in length, are only about 2 cm in diameter at the thickest part and are very bendy at the tip. Consequently, they would not be much use for mist-net poles. I know that many anglers in mainland Europe do 'pole' fishing. The pole is much longer and has a wider base that remains stiff along the first few metres, ie the section that you would use for your nets. However, I always thought that they were quite expensive.

Tom

tomjenner said:
Hannu
I presume that the fishing poles that you are using are quite thick. Most fisherman in the UK use fishing rods that are less than 4 metres in length, are only about 2 cm in diameter at the thickest part and are very bendy at the tip. Consequently, they would not be much use for mist-net poles. I know that many anglers in mainland Europe do 'pole' fishing. The pole is much longer and has a wider base that remains stiff along the first few metres, ie the section that you would use for your nets. However, I always thought that they were quite expensive.

Tom

Tom,

My fishing rods are 6-8 metres long and their prices are 10-25 Euros in low prices markets.
I took away two most thinnest parts from the top of fishing rod and diameter in the bottom is about 4-5 cm depending on the lenght of fishing rod.
So if I use sticks as an anchor in the ground, I open cork from the bottoms and stand rods on their place. I sometimes use tape to make sure that the parts of the rod does not crash down during the catching.
If someone need photos from my equipments, i will post them as attach files.

Hannu,
i found a supply of poles here in the uk on ebay, the firm is in Devon & when i ordered they came in the post next day. cost was £8 each and like you say if the top whippy section is removed the rest is pretty stable. I am impressed so far but havent yet tried them with a net, mainly because the weather has been heavy rain but come the sunshime i will have them up ij the garden & playing to check them out. if anyone wants the address let me know I will post it here.

Hi michahello
next time i have the garden net up I will take one & send it ok.
Having used them now for six sessions they are brillient, I wouldnt be without them they are great for the smaller nets (30') I havent tried them on longer nets so cant comment.

wizard said:
Hannu,
i found a supply of poles here in the uk on ebay, the firm is in Devon & when i ordered they came in the post next day. cost was £8 each and like you say if the top whippy section is removed the rest is pretty stable. I am impressed so far but havent yet tried them with a net, mainly because the weather has been heavy rain but come the sunshime i will have them up ij the garden & playing to check them out. if anyone wants the address let me know I will post it here.

SORRY Wizard, that I have not noticed earlier your post. You have two possibilities to set up those poles.
1) using wooden sticks (lenght appr. 50-80 cm, depending on ground)
2) using iron support (hard ground, bitumen etc)

The life period of those poles is about 2-3 seasons.

Concerning to elasticated luggage bungees, there are available many sizes in lenght.

-h-

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back