• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery bird (1 Viewer)

Jarv59

Hi All,
My first post so hello to all the community!
I was bird watching at Alkborough flats near Scunthorpe the other day and came across a bird I didn't recognise. Can only think it must be an escapee from somewhere but I have scoured the net and found nothing to match this bird.
Initially with eye I thought it was a Starling but on putting my scope onto it I realised it certainly was not that species.
Larger than Starling, about the size of a Blackbird.
Jet Black head,breast and belly though there was a paler area on lower belly/under tail coverts.
Wings Jet black.
Mantle and rump were grey but mottled with black , tail was more plain dark grey. In flight the bird showed a clear but short and narrow wing bar on each wing , this wing bar was either red or red/brown in colour but stood out strongly against very dark wings.
Bill was starling like but a bit more thicker and longer.
I got a distant photo with my bridge camera but it's very poor and only shows the front of the bird, image attached.
Anyone have any ideas as to what this bird could be?

Attachments

• Mystery bird (2).JPG
    Mystery bird (2).JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 110
Yeh I thought that was what everyone would say but the back of the bird ,the size of the bird and the reddish wing bars all point to something else? Weird bird but looking at the starlings locally none of them look jet black like this bird, all moulting I guess.

Yeh I thought that was what everyone would say but the back of the bird ,the size of the bird and the reddish wing bars all point to something else? Weird bird but looking at the starlings locally none of them look jet black like this bird, all moulting I guess.

This bird is an adult, there are lots of paler juveniles around right now.

Puzzled by the mention of red wing bars though. Adult Starlings do show a purple sheen over the body in strong sunlight. Agree that the image is of an adult Starling.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back