• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Power packs for cp4500 (1 Viewer)

battery pack for Coolpix

I am trying to build one external batterypack starting with a 12V accu.
I now have 8.4 Volts. The fnial question is: 'how to connect the + and - to the plug that goes into the Coolpix?'

I also looked at creating a pack from 7 C-cells. Since a single C-cell (3000mAh) is in the range of 8 euro the total thing would cost too much, given that a DPS-9000 can be bought for $40.=

Battery Pack

I was wondering about your Battery Pack. Do you still use a 4500? I've just purchased one within the last year and am really satisfied with the pictures but not with the battery life. If you still have a pic of the Battery Pack, could you please send me a copy or a schematic?

Thanks,
Mike

rayh said:
A really cheapish battery pack can be made for the cool-pix 4500 using six ni-cad rechargable batts fitted into a holder which can bepurchased from Maplin,s for pence. You also need a plug for the camera input and a connector for the batt. holder also from maplin,s. It, s quite easy to put together but you have to make sure the connection,s are correct. I get at least 3hrs continuous use per pack. If youre intrested in making one let me know and I post a photograph it might make it little clearer .

Total cost less than 20 pounds

Parts-List.For Batt-Pack

Hi.
Just made power pack for my DCM-FZ20//30 and CP4500
the DC Power Plug I used was Maplin (Code-L47AY.)1.7mm/4.75mm. DC Power Plug.)) I used the 6 cell plastic holder takes 6 times AA (CodeHQ01B.))and you will need a pp3 Connector(Code HF28F))
and about 1 Meter of 2 way wire.
D.J.
P.S. Dont forget to check with a meter before you use it,center positive outer negative on plug.

trailrider63 said:
I was wondering about your Battery Pack. Do you still use a 4500? I've just purchased one within the last year and am really satisfied with the pictures but not with the battery life. If you still have a pic of the Battery Pack, could you please send me a copy or a schematic?

Thanks,
Mike

demojohn said:
Hi.
Just made power pack for my DCM-FZ20//30 and CP4500
the DC Power Plug I used was Maplin (Code-L47AY.)1.7mm/4.75mm. DC Power Plug.)) I used the 6 cell plastic holder takes 6 times AA (CodeHQ01B.))and you will need a pp3 Connector(Code HF28F))
and about 1 Meter of 2 way wire.
D.J.
P.S. Dont forget to check with a meter before you use it,center positive outer negative on plug.

Hi DJ

Are you using Rechargeable batteries or standard alkalines (7.5V and 9V respectively)?
Having now made loads of these for the Kyocera's and Contax Cameras. I may now have a go at these (particularly as I have the two forementioned cameras).
Anyone not brave enough to have a go at this let me know and I should be able to make them one up, I suspect the cost will be in the region of £7-£10 inc postage.

Regards

Mark

Last edited:
Deja-vu said:
Hi DJ

Are you using Rechargeable batteries or standard alkalines (7.5V and 9V respectively)?
Having now made loads of these for the Kyocera's and Contax Cameras. I may now have a go at these (particularly as I have the two forementioned cameras).
Anyone not brave enough to have a go at this let me know and I should be able to make them one up, I suspect the cost will be in the region of £7-£10 inc postage.

Regards

Mark
Hi Mark,
I use 6 Rechargeable batteries giving me 7.2volts if I use dry cell I would use a 4 pack holder giving me 6volts other wise I would be well over 7.2volts with dry cells.
D.J.

demojohn said:
Hi Mark,
I use 6 Rechargeable batteries giving me 7.2volts if I use dry cell I would use a 4 pack holder giving me 6volts other wise I would be well over 7.2volts with dry cells.
D.J.
I have been using the Magnum Pro 6-8.6 volts for about 2 years now with my cp4500,they last for about 5 hours with the monitor on all the time with plenty of zoom work going on,I think they are £45 for two packs with mains and car charger and camera leads,with a monitor shield thrown in as well.I'll find the website if anyone is interested?

In 2000, I had a kodak I think the model was 640 or something like that, as a battery pack I used a six volt 4amp sealed lead acid battery, it worked very well, a little heavy. I now have a Canon A610, which takes 4aa batteries, in my reconning that is a maximum of 4.8v, can anyone tell me would the six volts be to much. Ernie

Old thread ,new question:~ Could I make up a powerpack with the rechargeable PP3 9volt battery and holder from Maplins for my aging Coolpix 4500.

late

:t:
I guess nobody knows then !!

Bob, it’s a bit late, I just came across your query about pp3-9v, the capacity of pp3 is not very high so it would not last long but the 4500 uses 7.4v .680Ah, using 9v is not a good idea as its best to stick to 7.4v, If you use rechargeable at 1.2v per cell 6 would give you 7.2v.you can bye a holder for 6 cells.
DJ.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back