• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some Florida Birds for confirmation (1 Viewer)

Douwe

My brother went to Florida end August beginning of September 2012 and asked me to help identifying the birds he photographed; two provide me with some difficulty.
The first one seems to be a Rusty Blackbird (or is it Brewer's?), although the bill appears bolder/shorter than I would expect (maybe it is the angle).
The second I would think is a Whip-poor-will or a Chuck-will's-widow, although I favour the first as the chin looks dark and not rusty.

Attachments

• 00003175lr.jpg
    00003175lr.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 00003182lr.jpg
    00003182lr.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 58
Eastern Towhee (somehow you have artfully hidden most field marks, such as white belly, white spots in outer tail feathers, white primary bases, and almost all of the rufous flanks)
Common Nighthawk (they often sit on lines, Chucks and Whips do not)

Andy

Andy

Eastern Towhee (somehow you have artfully hidden most field marks, such as white belly, white spots in outer tail feathers, white primary bases, and almost all of the rufous flanks)
Common Nighthawk (they often sit on lines, Chucks and Whips do not)

Andy

Andy

I agree with Eastern Towhee, Florida subspecies.

I also agree with Common Nighthawk. Chucks and Whips do sit on wires, just not in such an open environment.

Just for completeness: where in Florida was the Nighthawk? There are places where Antillean Nighthawk is found, and in such areas I would be reluctant to id to species ... Unless Andy has seen something that also excludes this one?

Niels

Thanks! It is always difficult from a book as I have not yet been in Florida myself. I would expect the common nighthawk to have a white patch in the primaries and I really did not recognize the bird in the picture as being an Eastern Towhee; the only other bird resembling, apart from the bill, was the blackbird.
Douwe

Just for completeness: where in Florida was the Nighthawk? There are places where Antillean Nighthawk is found, and in such areas I would be reluctant to id to species ... Unless Andy has seen something that also excludes this one?

Niels

in Everglades Nat. Park

Douwe

Antillean is a possibility down in the Everglades, but not very commonly. Much more likely in the Keys. We have been overrun the past few weeks all through South Florida with huge flocks of common nighthawks throughout the urban areas, so it would seem fairly likely to be a common nighthawk.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back