• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aberrant Tennessee Warbler? in Cuba (1 Viewer)

Douwe

On 18 August 2013 I photographed this bird in the Zapata Swamp area in Cuba. Although I have plenty of pictures it does not seem to fit exactly. According to me it is an aberrant Tennessee warbler with no white supercilium and only a very faint eye-stripe. I would appreciate some help with either corrections or suggestions as I have no experience with this species.

Douwe

Attachments

• EE9A0158a.jpg
    EE9A0158a.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 58
  • EE9A0159a.jpg
    EE9A0159a.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 40
  • EE9A0160a.jpg
    EE9A0160a.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 42
  • EE9A0162a.jpg
    EE9A0162a.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 34
  • EE9A0164a.jpg
    EE9A0164a.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 39
Funny: the Yellow Warblers in Cuba I thought belonged to the "Golden" variety. This bird is very different from the juveniles I am used to from more easterly in the Caribbean. But I see that some of the drawings in Sibley depicts some juvenile golden as being this greyish, presumably using Florida birds as types.

Niels

Thanks for the advice. Although I initially filed this bird as juvenile Yellow Warbler, I felt it did not properly match the juvenile birds depicted in the bird books I used (A guide to the birds of the West Indies and Birds of Cuba), but as brought forward, Sibley indeed has a more convincing drawing of a juvenile and the link found by Motmot is an almost exact copy. Without aiming to identify the (Northern or Golden) group, I saw plenty of Yellow Warblers and no Mangrove Warblers. Therefore Yellow Warbler is probably more likely.

Douwe

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back