• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NIKON AF-S 500mm f4 ED Mk II Lens (1 Viewer)

Vr may not help with say a fast SS regarding motion blure but it will help you stay on the bird in flight regardless of SS as it will stabilise the image your looking at .

So even if you were shooting at 1/5000sec it will help you stay with the bird because the image through the lens will be more stable .

Rob.

Thanks Rob, that was just the info I was looking for, happier that I went for the VR version

One more question please, I know they are endless ;)

But if you do not know...ask

Seeing im built like the proverbial and daft enough to shoot with it handheld, lug the thing around.

Can anyone recommend a heavyweight strap for it ?

I used to haul a Sigma 500mm f/4.5 around using the Custom SLR Camera Strap (http://www.customslr.com/products/camera-split-strap), which was relatively comfortable. But much of that was due to the Sigma's unique strap attachment points (one at the end of the non-removable tripod foot, and an auto-rotating loop near the aperture ring). The strap attachments on the Nikon 500mm lenses are on the tripod collar, and while serviceable, I don't usually use a strap with this lens. But the Custom SLR strap can definitely take the weight of this lens.

Instead of a strap, I prefer just carrying the lens by the tripod foot. I have the Kirk LP-47 tripod foot attached to the lens: http://www.kirkphoto.com/Lens_Plate_for_Nikon_500mm_f4_G_ED_VR_replacing_Nikon_foot.html. It sticks out enough to serve as a sturdy handle, so I just carry it by the tripod foot if I'm going a short distance with it. Otherwise, the whole lens goes back in my backpack for longer treks.

That is exactly the type of strap Im looking for, will search and see if it is available in the UK.

The Kirk LP-47 I have read about, seems a very handy addition, its already on my "want list ".

Thank you very much, appreciated

I bought the Kirk replacement foot for my 500, it's the ideal size for using as a carry handle. The original Nikon feet are either too big or too small to get your fingers between the foot and the lens ( Beware, the Wimberley version won't either) I used to use the Nikon lens strap too but since I have changed to Canon I have either carried by the lens foot (just the right size but still needs a QR plate) or attached to the tripod and over my shoulder. I have a strap on the camera body so too many tend to get in the way.

Not sure if the 500 foot is different but the wimberley on my 600 is fine as a carry handle and like the OP I ain't no shrinking violet

Not sure most people would want to handhold any Nikon prime telephoto lens apart from the 300/2.8.

You're kidding right ! ;)

I use the 300/2.8 with and without TCs and I wouldn't want to handhold it for any length of time - it's 3kg plus TCs and camera/battery/grip so ca. 4.5 to 5 kgs :eek!:

To the OP. Most people don't have the luxury of buying a lens for a very very specific purpose such as ONLY BIF. I'm sure you'll use it for a lot more and the 150-500 isn't even on the same planet performance-wise so once you start using a large Nikon prime you'll never go back. But you WILL need a monopod/tripod and a gimbal so add in those costs.

Slightly off topic but yes I would, took one to the Farnes this year and hand held it for the 4 days I was on the islands. A superb lens especially when mated to an FX body.

One more question please, I know they are endless ;)

But if you do not know...ask

Seeing im built like the proverbial and daft enough to shoot with it handheld, lug the thing around.

Can anyone recommend a heavyweight strap for it ?

Mike,
welcome to the forum and congrats on your new lens.
Have you considered a good monopod. Mobile, light, easy to carry. Use one with an arca quick release clamp and plate and you can drop it in an instant for birds inflight.

BTW I shoot lots of birds in flight and have never switched VR off for it even at 1/1250th/s.
There are a few on my Flickr photo stream in the link below if you are unsure.

Although I mostly shoot handheld, I do have a monopod handy most of the time if I'm going to be shooting from a static location. I use the Induro CM25, which is definitely able to handle the weight of this lens: http://www.indurogear.com/products/induro-carbon-cm-series-8x-monopods-cm25.aspx

I used to use it with the Manfrotto 234 tilt head, but now actually use it with a Joby Ballhead X, which is a fairly small and wimpy ballhead. I would never trust it to hold this lens in place on a tripod, but since you're always holding the camera and lens on a monopod, it provides sufficient grip to tilt smoothly, and is Arca-compatible to boot.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back