• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tangkoko, Indonesia (1 Viewer)

julienl

Hey guys,

Birds seen in May this year.

1) Sulawesi Serpent Eagle ?
2) Juv. Asian Glossy Starling ?
3) Female Black/Crimson/Brown Throated Sunbird ?
4-5) Small or Vinous Breasted Sparrowhawk ?

Thanks !

Attachments

• IMG_23792.jpg
    IMG_23792.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_17852.jpg
    IMG_17852.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_17992.jpg
    IMG_17992.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_22572.jpg
    IMG_22572.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_22692.jpg
    IMG_22692.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 23
As there's an absence of replies, I'd say
1. isn't a serpent eagle.
2. Can't remember options of the glossy starling at Tankoko, try ebird, there might only be one sp.
3. Don't think it's Brown-throated
4. Most Asia experts seem to think that records of Little Sparrowhawk at Tankoko are suspect. Vinous-breasted does occur there.

Hopefully someone else will give you a better response!

bird 1 = spotted harrier?

no idea with the rest,

James

I looks like it indeed, don't know why I didn't consider it.

As there's an absence of replies, I'd say
1. isn't a serpent eagle.
2. Can't remember options of the glossy starling at Tankoko, try ebird, there might only be one sp.
3. Don't think it's Brown-throated
4. Most Asia experts seem to think that records of Little Sparrowhawk at Tankoko are suspect. Vinous-breasted does occur there.

2.I actually didn't watch the range map close enough, it seems like Asian Glossy Starling is the only option in Tangkoko.

3. I agree it's not a female Brown Throated as it doesn't have red eyes.

4. Noted. Where did you get that information ?

I'd say the Sunbird is a juvenile. It doesn't look quite right for Crimson somehow - the colour of the feet is wrong from what I can see, and that dark tail doesn't look right. Maybe a juvenile female Black, but I can't find any images.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back