• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rucksack to carry digiscoping stuff around (1 Viewer)

bughunter

After my old rucksack gets more and more broken under the load of scope and tripod I was looking for a new one. This week I bought one and want to share the expirience in case somebody else is also looking.
It's a Lowepro Flipside 400 AW - not that big if you view it from outside but big enough to carry a Swaro 80mm scope and the disgiscoping stuff around. All the tools can be separated and full loaded it's comfortable to carry around. Since the opening is from the backside its secure.
The price is ok, additionally here in Germany is a cashback action running at the moment, so you will get 15% of your money back.

Attachments

• Flipside400i.jpg
    Flipside400i.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 330
  • Flipside400a.jpg
    Flipside400a.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 265
Why do you use two different cameras? Just curious. I just bought the nikon P6000 so interested in pros and cons. The bag looks interesting.

Why do you use two different cameras? Just curious. I just bought the nikon P6000 so interested in pros and cons. The bag looks interesting.
Other bags are often too short for a 80mm scope, and the bigger ones are long enough, but heavy and very big in all dimensions (and often also with space for a notebook, which I don't need).

Regarding the two cams: the P6000 is a nice cam, the AF is really good. I was able to improve my digiscoping capabilities with that cam and got some really nice shots. But on the other hand its slow, so I missed some. I use it with a IR remote, because I'm unable to press the shutter without creating vibrations. But with this IR I cannot prefocus. So after pressing the button on the remote, the AF will do its work - needs time and after that the picture is captured. In meantime the bird was away or somewhere else, especially the small and hectic birds like tits. With IR a series of pics is also not possible, so I suggest to go with a mechanical remote shutter.
Before I used a Canon A590 with CHDK installed. Much faster, but not working AF an scope; display more worse. In meantime I thought also about the S90 because of better display and less MegaPixels, but dropped that idea because of slow rate of pictures (speed is comparable to the P6000). The 14MP of the P6000 is a little bit too much.

The G1 is much faster, has a good EVF (good in bright sun) and a better rotatable display with high resolution; a cable remote with prefocus and series is available. With the 20mm pancake I'm satisfied for close distances (with the swaro zoom I have 1000 to 2000mm). For longer ranges I prefer the P6000, until a good lens is discovered.
When I bought my P6000 I checked also the G1, but the price was much higher and there was no usable lens available. The kit zoom was just to long for my adapter and some vignetting was there. The m4/3 pancake was new this autumn.
The body of the G1 is really great with all the best things merged in one light device. I hope in the future there are more good lenses choices.

It is always nice to have a backup for any electronic device, so I will keep my P6000. It can also do video.

Looks good! Need to fit the scope, adapters, and some photo gear + the tripod on the outside.

Hi Kristoffer, you should have no problems fitting that little lot in!

I bought one of these bags a couple of months ago and love it. I reckon I could fit my 80mm scope, Canon 40D & 100-400mm zoom in there with all my digiscoping gear in the front pocket., though I might have to remove the eyepiece from the scope. It's heavy though, when fully loaded with all of that kit.

The bag on its own is quite light compared to similar products. I prefer to carry it with scope and tripod over my shoulder once on site, to distrubute the weight more evenly. For holidays etc, it's nice to know it all fits in.

Steve

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back