• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hello ..i need some advice reg.AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 G ED VR (1 Viewer)

nak2013

hi...i have nikon d800... i m planning to buy new AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 G ED VR..lens for birding.. if anybody have used this lens befor ..pls tell me the results..

thanks

akshay:eat:

hi...i have nikon d800... i m planning to buy new AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 G ED VR..lens for birding.. if anybody have used this lens befor ..pls tell me the results..

thanks

akshay:eat:

Hi Akshay,
I have a reasonably sized set of images taken with this lens on various cameras. I tend to use it with a D7100 which when the better iso and DR is taken into account gives similar images to those with a V1 which I also have.
It doesn't balance as well as the 300f4 0r nikon 70-300mmvr with a V1 but is fine nevertheless.
Here is a link to the 80-400VR AFSG set
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon_birder/sets/72157633211093293/

Hi Akshay, on behalf of staff and moderators a warm welcome to Birdforum.:t:

I have moved your thread to the appropriate sub-forum and I see you have already had a response to your enquiry.

Hi Akshay,

I have just posted this in the other thread on this lens :

I bought the 80-400 to complement the 300/2.8 with TC20EIII, especially when traveling on non-dedicated birding trips, but for fine feather detail (especially over 10-15m) it doesn't compare.

I think Neil's photos highlight it's strengths perfectly. Great as a wildlife / large birds / general walkabout lens but not for dedicated birding.

I took it on a recent trip to Kyoto to celebrate my wife's 50th. It was out-standing; shrines, temples, scenic, street, portraits (especially) all very accomplished. Small birds - not so much.

I will add that this lens needs good light - in poor light it is too slow at 400mm (f5.6) and just not up to it.

I'll add that for me it didn't play nice with the TC14EII either, though AF was not too bad.

IMHO you will be better off buying the 300/4 (which you can use without the TC in lower light) and the TC17EII and TC14EII to get you the added reach. Use on a monopod to improve sharpness.

Or even better buy the Sigma 500/4.5 which is about the same price (used) as the 80-400G.

Hi Akshay,

Here are a few images taken recently with the new 80-400 on a D7100 in 1.3 crop mode. All images are big crops and taken handheld. I think this is an excellent birding lens(I also own the 300 f4 and 1.4) but I do think you have to be careful with the copy you receive-buy the one you try if possible as my first copy was really poor, sample variation possibly accounting for some peoples reservations.
1 Fox Sparrow 2 western Sandpiper 3 Spotted Towee 4 Black Oystercatcher 5 Bushtit
Best wishes,
Mark.

PS Make sure you check RMWD's shots-great advert for this lens.

Attachments

• nhy (Large).jpg
    nhy (Large).jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 140
  • ghj (Large).jpg
    ghj (Large).jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 169
  • ji (Large).jpg
    ji (Large).jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 132
  • ghjhj (Large).jpg
    ghjhj (Large).jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 126
  • jop (Large).jpg
    jop (Large).jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back