• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron 60 mm MM3! (1 Viewer)

FrankD

This is a bit of repost of what I posted the other day.....

One of the US retailers listed the info ahead of time and I noticed it. The scope isn't set to debut until this weekend at the Birdfair (UK) and Tuscon Birding and Wildlife Festival. I was given the ok to repost what I found by the folks at Opticron since the festivals are only a few days away.

http://opticscamp.com/opticron-mm3-...ron-mm3-60-ed-spotting-scope-angled-body.html

The only info I have from Opticron beyond what is on that page is that the 60 mm weighs in at a little over 25 ounces (708-odd grams) and actual stock will be available in the US the first week of September.

I hope to have my hands on one for a review around that time.

Well spotted Frank :)

As usual, a new product has escaped rather than being launched! Ah well, I tried.

We had a chance to review the very positive feedback on the MM3 50 since it's launch and also the various requests for a larger objective lens version. That combined with some other changes in the Opticron scope line, including the discontinuation of the GS 665 ED models, allowed us just enough time and space in the range to add the MM3 60 in time for this weekend.

Samples and stock will be heading to dealers as of Tuesday next week with a UK debut at Birdfair. As mentioned, Michaela will be showing it off at the Tucson event in the US as of Friday too.

Cheers, Pete

Figures. A new MM3 50 & SDLv2 jsut arrived at my door today. May have to get the 60 body if it's reviews are in the same ball park as the 50's are.

Scruffie, welcome to birdforum! You may also end up being so happy with what you have that you just stay with it.

Niels

The only info I have from Opticron beyond what is on that page is that the 60 mm weighs in at a little over 25 ounces (708-odd grams) ...

That is encouraging. The MM3 50 weighs 605 grams. The new scope with its 20% larger objective weighs only 17% more.

Ok, it's already well into Friday in Great Britain, right? Birdfair is happening, right?

Where's da MM3 60 pics?

:)

Screenshot_2014-08-16-02-56-34_1.jpg

Right thats it.... Find the lying toad that said 'oh no, we have no plans at all for a 60mm MM3' and break out the tar and feathers.

Goddam it. Looks like I need to save even more money now. LOL

Guess what showed up late yesterday?

First "non-technical" impression?

Me-likey!

;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 681
Nothing crazy but just snapped a quick pic through the scope of a candle holder on the dining room table.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 540
Allan,

Yes, I have enjoyed using it on several occasions. I do plan on writing something up more formal but the short version would be something like.....

If you like the MM3 50 mm model then you will be equally pleased with the 60 mm version. The 60 mm gives an ever so slightly brighter image and somewhat higher magnification. It is a good choice for those looking for a "middle of the ground" scope in terms of size. Plus, it is very likely the lightest 60-65 mm class scope currently on the market.

Personally, I am going to opt for the 50 mm model simply because I already have an 82 mm scope that I use for higher magnifications (75x in this case), long distance viewing and tricky IDs in low light situations. The 50 mm model compliments this quite well. The 60 mm model would be a bit redundant in my particular circumstance. For those wanting a higher magnification range than what the 50 mm offers then the 60 mm model would be a better option.

Thanks, Frank. I almost posted a follow-up query myself but thought you might be ready to post on your own website.

Like you, I find a combo of travel scope (50mm) and full-size (82mm) works great. Still, the 60mm sounds like it's worth a look.

Mark

I would agree with that sentiment Mark. For some folks the 50 mm model certainly isn't an "all around" scope for their intended applications. I would assume primarily because of the limited magnification range (thinking zoom here) and also light gathering ability with only a 50 mm objective.

The 60 mm model partly remedies that situation and yet really doesn't give up much in terms of weight (in comparison to the 50 mm model). Don't quote me but I think the weight difference only amounts to about 4 ounces. What is that?....a third of a can of beer? ;)

If Opticron's weights are accurate, the 60mm MM3 with the HDF zoom would only be about 10 ounces more than my ED50 with the 27x wide. The SDL zoom would put that up to something like 13 ounces. It's tempting, I'll admit.

Mark

Allan,

Yes, I have enjoyed using it on several occasions. I do plan on writing something up more formal but the short version would be something like.....

If you like the MM3 50 mm model then you will be equally pleased with the 60 mm version. The 60 mm gives an ever so slightly brighter image and somewhat higher magnification. It is a good choice for those looking for a "middle of the ground" scope in terms of size. Plus, it is very likely the lightest 60-65 mm class scope currently on the market.

Personally, I am going to opt for the 50 mm model simply because I already have an 82 mm scope that I use for higher magnifications (75x in this case), long distance viewing and tricky IDs in low light situations. The 50 mm model compliments this quite well. The 60 mm model would be a bit redundant in my particular circumstance. For those wanting a higher magnification range than what the 50 mm offers then the 60 mm model would be a better option.

I am considering buying my first scope and am interested in hearing how you guys think the Opticron MM3 60 GA ED would suit me.

I have been birding on/off for several years and recently upgraded my binoculars to the Kite Ibis ED 10x42.

The primary purpose of the scope, that I have in mind right now, would be viewing and ID'ing distant waders/shorebirds from great distances (I don't know what is possible with any scope, but preferably +200-500 meters). I would think that the 50 mm version of the MM3 would be insufficient for this. Is the 60 mm version also insufficient for this purpose?

I have also been looking at the Opticron GS52 ED, which I have seen many positive comments about in this forum. How does it compare to the MM3 50 and MM3 60 optically?

The reasons I am looking for the compact scopes are:
- I am on a budget and have a feeling mid-priced larger scopes do not yield enough quality. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
- I am biking almost everywhere and want to be able to take it with me on the bike.
- I might (somewhat uncertain) upgrade to a full-size birding scope later when I might have a car and a larger budget, and then the compact scope would still serve useful.

So unlike in your situation I don't have a larger scope, but feel that the 60 mm might be able to work as my primary scope now and still function as a compact travel scope later if I get a larger one.

Is there a review of the MM3 50 or 60 (especially about optical quality including amount of CA). What is your take on optical quality as well as amount of CA, especially in the higher magnifications (if you have the zoom eyepiece)?

I am very interested in hearing your comments.

Last edited:
Michael,

I think it is exactly your type of situation that I was referencing in my earlier post when describing why someone would choose the 60 mm over the 50 mm mode. The 10 mm larger objective and the subsequent increase in magnification with the 60 mm model is exactly why someone would prefer it over the 50 mm for longer distance viewing. Of course, an 80 mm class model would serve that particular type of situation even better but then it comes at a cost of weight and overall portability. Since those areas are part of your concern I think a 60 mm class scope (in this case the MM3) would be well suited for your intended application.

To address your other concern about mid-priced scopes and optical performance, I don't think it is necessarily an accurate statement. Just like in the binocular market the high end features and performance have filtered down in the mid to lower price points. You can now get some amazing optical quality for notably less than you could 5 or 10 years ago. In my experience the MM3 models are a perfect example of this. In many cases it isn't necessarily the optical performance that hinders distant IDs but rather environmental conditions. That "heat shimmer" or haze that often occurs can hinder the performance of a scope at any price point.

The GS52 was a bit of the predecessor model to the current MM3 in the sense that it was Opticron's compact/travel scope model. The optical performance of the MM3 is slightly better overall than the GS52 plus it is smaller and lighter in weight. They have the same focal length and therefore share the same magnification range with any of the Opticron eyepieces. So, in my opinion, there wouldn't be an advantage to the GS52 unless you found them at a discounted price as I believe they are being discontinued.

There is a very long thread on this forum about the MM3 (with many owners' experiences expressed). I posted a mini-review inside that thread complete with pictures of the scope. I also have used the 50 mm (and to a lesser extent the 60 mm) to take a variety of digiscoped pictures and video. Many of them can be found on either my Flickr page and or my Youtube channel( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAfmgxZJS1LMvsLF0DExoog ). Be sure to change the resolution of the video to "HD" in the bottom right hand corner before watching. That should give you some idea of apparent CA levels in the scopes. A link to one of the pics is below....

https://flic.kr/p/oje7r6

The link to the MM3 50 mm thread is here:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=271495

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back