• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Wee Micro (1 Viewer)

SleepyLizard

Does anyone recognise this wee fella?

I've been through UK Moths several times but either it's not there or, more likely, I'm missing it.

Attachments

• 2005-04-20-g.jpg
    2005-04-20-g.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 145
SleepyLizard said:
Does anyone recognise this wee fella?

I've been through UK Moths several times but either it's not there or, more likely, I'm missing it.

Alan, how big is it? I don't think it's a tortrix with feathered antenna like that.

SleepyLizard said:
At a guess I'd say total wingspan would have been around 15mm.

So it's pretty small. Have to say has me stumped - I presume it was caught recently? I'm likely to be overlooking something obvious, but can't even place it as to family at the mo. With your permission I could put the pic up on ukmoths to see if anyone has an idea?

Mike

MikeWall said:
With your permission I could put the pic up on ukmoths to see if anyone has an idea?
Mike

Yes- that's would be fine.

Photo was taken yesterday in Easter Ross in and area of heather, broom, and a lot of Scots Pine as well.

SleepyLizard said:
Oh! and they were flying about by day in the sunshine.

Hi,

Martin Corley on ukmoths posted the following in response to your moth:

"I have never seen this myself, but it is Philedonides lunana. There are a few Tortricidae with pectinate antennae. Razowski is not much help, as he not only illustrates a female, with filiform antennae, but also one that is almost uniformly brown!"

So there you go - new one for me!

Mike

If anyone is interested in upsetting his wife by spending their summer holiday savings, both volumes of Bradley et.al. The British Tortricoid Moths are up for grabs on Ebay at the moment.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8301738115&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

The current bidding is £51.00 (reserve not met) 2 days 8 hours to go.

A single copy of volume 1 was sold last night for a very reasonable price indeed.

I would expect the price of these two volumes to run into three figures by the time the auction is finished. But they would be a good investment if anyone has the spare dosh, and a lot handier to use than the CD-ROM which is available.

Edit. A second set of these two volumes is also available on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=45132&item=8302590725&rd=1

The starting price is £295.00 No bids as yet but nine days to go until the end of the sale.

Harry

Last edited:
Alan.

Rough translation, 'hane; male, Spread from Sk to Nb (districts in Sweden South and North see side map). Wingspan 12-16mm, caterpilar in July, August in togetherspun leaf and flower of (5 plants I don`t know). Pupation in the plant (so far as I believe)'

Well done Alan.

Jim

Hostpalnts

Wandered Scot said:
Alan.

Rough translation, 'hane; male, Spread from Sk to Nb (districts in Sweden South and North see side map). Wingspan 12-16mm, caterpilar in July, August in togetherspun leaf and flower of (5 plants I don`t know). Pupation in the plant (so far as I believe)'

Well done Alan.

Jim

The plants appear to be:
fingerört Potentilla spp.
pors Myrica gale
smörbollar Trollius europaeas
vänderot Valeriana officinalis L./Valeriana sambucifolia J. C. Mikan
mynta mint/Mentha spp.

according to the site Den virtuella floran

Andrew

Last edited:
SleepyLizard said:
Thank for that Mike - It's not every day I get a moth which isn't even on the UK Moths site :)

Alan,

I'm sure Ian Kimber would appreciate a pic of this species, especially if you could get another in a more natural setting

Mike

Thanks for the translation Andrew.

Mike - Funny thing is we've been back twice in search of another one for the purpose of getting a better photo but we can't find any. On the 20th there were quite a few being flushed from the heather. I took one home for a better photo and it escaped. I grabbed that shot with the terrible background just before it dissappeared forever.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back