• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Algarve Coast (1 Viewer)

nikothomsen

Hi Guys,

I'm headed to Portugal for a week during the end of May, and am planning some targeted birding.

We will be staying in Armacao de Pera, nice and close to Lagao de Salgados, and will be renting a car.

My first question relates to this. We are doing a budget trip and would take the smallest rental car available, probably a VW UP or Fiat 500. Plan is at least to visit Castro Verde area, as well as the area around Sagres. Will a car of such small size suffice? I think i remember seeing gravel roads, and I do not know the condition of these roads.

Second question: I will be travelling with my girlfriend, who is not appalled by birding, but not quite motivated by it either. What other stuff is there to do in these areas, so i have something to negotiate with?

Third question: I am considering a trip to Barril Beach for Lesser Short-toed Lark. What exactly are the logistics for this site? And how probable is the bird?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Guys,

I'm headed to Portugal for a week during the end of May, and am planning some targeted birding.

We will be staying in Armacao de Pera, nice and close to Lagao de Salgados, and will be renting a car.

My first question relates to this. We are doing a budget trip and would take the smallest rental car available, probably a VW UP or Fiat 500. Plan is at least to visit Castro Verde area, as well as the area around Sagres. Will a car of such small size suffice? I think i remember seeing gravel roads, and I do not know the condition of these roads.

Second question: I will be travelling with my girlfriend, who is not appalled by birding, but not quite motivated by it either. What other stuff is there to do in these areas, so i have something to negotiate with?

Third question: I am considering a trip to Barril Beach for Lesser Short-toed Lark. What exactly are the logistics for this site? And how probable is the bird?

Thanks in advance!

Don't worry about the car - its fine for the Castro Verde SPA and more. Just about everything can be seen from tarmac roads. There are plenty of good tracks that are no problem for any car - just keep a good look out ahead just in case. There are tracks that are too nasty but they are not necesary at all.

Lagos is a fun town - lots of activities - night life, eating out, surfing and too much to mention - lots of history typical streets and quaint shops - a nice day out for anyone.

Regarding the lark, can't help with up to date details, maybe Gonçalo Elias will notice this thread? Castro Marim area is another option.

Barril Beach is easy to get to - from the west probably quickest to take the autoroute towards Tavira, then head back east on the N125, take a left on a minor road (take care on narrow bridge over railway) down towards Santa Luzia. There is a more direct route past Tavira station and along the coast past the salinas then through Santa Luzia, but a lot less straightforward if you don't know the area.
You soon pass through the resort of Pedras del Rei to reach the coast, the road then takes a sharp left towards Santa Luzia, with ample roadside parking spaces on your right. Just on this bend there is a footpath and pontoon leading out to the island, with a narrow gauge train on the other side. You can put your girlfriend on the train at this point if she doesn't want to walk. The channel sides can be good for waders if the tide is right.
The path follows the rail track, crossing saltmarsh, arid dune grassland and a small stand of trees (pied flycatchers in autumn here). Then you get to the dunes proper and beach area. I've only ever seen crested larks here, but then I've only ever been in late September / October.
This is one trip you can take your girlfriend on, as there are a number of cafes behind the dunes, souvenir shops and lots of sunbeds on the beach - the rest of the area is pretty wild though.
Edit: if you are travelling any distance through the Algarve, its worthwhile making sure you have an electronic toll card charged up in the car for the autoroute - there are no other alternatives like toll booths. I usually rent from Budget / Avis, and they just take what you've spent in tolls off the amount refunded - never had any problems with this office (mindful of another current thread on car hire woes...).

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back