• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Greece around Lake Kerkini (1 Viewer)

Brian Stone

A Stone chatting
There don't seem to be too many reports from this area in the winter so here's an account of a long weekend at the end of February this year. Quite wordy but plenty of photos.

http://thenaturalstone.blogspot.com/2012/02/northern-greece.html

Highlights were at least 7 Spotted Eagles, an early Lesser Spotted Eagle, great views of Eagle Owl, 6 species of woodpecker, Moustached Warbler, Sombre Tit, masses of Dalmatian Pelicans and Pygmy Cormorants, swarms of Hawfinches, Wild Cat, European Free-tailed Bats, Nettle-tree Butterfly and signs of Brown Bear. 117 species of bird seen. Not bad for 72 hours in February.

Photos: Pygmy Cormorant, Woodlark, Large Tortoiseshell, Nettle-tree, Black Stork. More on the blog.

Attachments

• pygmy_cormorant_25feb12_768p_8153.jpg
    pygmy_cormorant_25feb12_768p_8153.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 105
  • woodlark_25feb12_1024l_8213.jpg
    woodlark_25feb12_1024l_8213.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 184
  • large_tortoiseshell_25feb12_1024l_8247.jpg
    large_tortoiseshell_25feb12_1024l_8247.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 103
  • nettle-tree_26feb12_768s_8310.jpg
    nettle-tree_26feb12_768s_8310.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 101
  • black_stork_26feb12_768p_8322.jpg
    black_stork_26feb12_768p_8322.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
It was a great trip Nick ;-) and an excellent write up by Brian. For what its worth, my own wee diatribe from the same weekend here.

Stayed there on a birding holiday in 2005, when I was lucky enough to help as a volunteer with some transects. Beautiful place, thoroughly recommended. :t:

Looks great for a weekends birding, ok the journey from the airport to hotel may take several hours, but once there nice easy birding on your doorstep! Ideal. GS Eagle, GH Woody would both be lifers and further views of several others would be greatly appreciated.

Certainly one to consider!

Airport to Kerkini is only 1.5 hours (if you miss your turn that is!).

Makes iteven more feasable next year, an early spring trip or late winter trip seems ideal.

I have since tried to find other reports for the area, but very few seem to mention Greater Spotted Eagles. Was it just luck that you came across these do you think, or are they regular at this time of year?

As mentioned in Brian's report, a long weekend using Ryanair via Stansted gave us three full day's birding. Thoroughly recommend it and I'll no doubt be repeating it now I know how easy it is.

Makes iteven more feasable next year, an early spring trip or late winter trip seems ideal.

I have since tried to find other reports for the area, but very few seem to mention Greater Spotted Eagles. Was it just luck that you came across these do you think, or are they regular at this time of year?

Very handy report- much appreciated. Someone else will no doubt be along to confirm how regular GSE is at Kerkini: certainly regular at Evros in double figures.

The other happy thing to report is that the Lesser White-front G flock is doing well relatively speaking- highest count this year (75) since 1988, which is a triumph for the conservationists all along the flyway. I'd hoped to go out there again this winter, but now daydreaming of next..

http://www.piskulka.net/Recent observations.htm

This is a regular wintering area for the Spotted Eagles and they were the primary focus of this trip. Numbers peak in January/February and they are often joined by White-tailed and Imperial Eagles. Our trip was a little on the late side and these had left, but this was a trade off to improve chances of more activity from woodpeckers and Moustached Warbler.

When researching the trip I found information on the winter period in rather short supply. Hopefully this short report will help to boost this a tiny bit.

I worked in North-east Greece for a year in 1990 and in 2006, especially because of the birding there and it didn't disappoint. It must be the best place in Europe in winter for birding. The wetlands hold huge numbers of waterbirds including flamingos and pelicans and there are many raptors. It always surprises me that people don't know about the Greater Spotted Eagles wintering there. All the wetlands hold some, even over to the Adriatic. The Spring also is spectacular, especially at Kerkini, which seems to act as a funnel where birds come in to feed up before dispersing further north. The quantity of heron species is amazing, plus lots more. A truly magic place! Before I go on too long, I must also mention Lake Prespa, at quite a high altitude on the borders of Albania, Greece and Macedonia as a very special place in Spring. There are many breeding birds and the butterflies at different altitudes are abundant. Unforgettable, and now with the very handy and cheap access from the UK and the reasonable cost of living there, it is great value. The scenery is good too.

Great info, I think I may try the area next year at exactly the same time (late Feb/ very early March), as GS Eagles clearly disperse any time after. They would be a target bird for me, and I would be happy with that, Pygmy Cormorants and Syrian and GH Woody's.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back