Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special ‚Äď Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

New released Swaro CL Companion 8x30 B

Old Thursday 22nd March 2018, 00:16   #401
cycleguy

All,

Had the binoculars out and was viewing after sunset in the dark when the street lights and porch lights were on. Of the 4 binoculars, I wasn't able to see anymore or less when using the x32 or the x30. However, I was able to see a little bit more when using the Leica x42. My preference on this criteria is the Leica.

CG
Old Thursday 22nd March 2018, 22:46   #402
NDhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy View Post
All,

Had the binoculars out and was viewing after sunset in the dark when the street lights and porch lights were on. Of the 4 binoculars, I wasn't able to see anymore or less when using the x32 or the x30. However, I was able to see a little bit more when using the Leica x42. My preference on this criteria is the Leica.

CG
CG:

It seems your thoughts and ideas are all over the place, on how to
rate binoculars.

Welcome to the club.

Don't worry, we won't hold it against you.

Jerry
Old Thursday 22nd March 2018, 22:49   #403
horukuru
Here I Come !

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
CG:

rate binoculars.

Welcome to the club.

Jerry
Hahaha
Old Friday 23rd March 2018, 00:49   #404
cycleguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
CG:

rate binoculars.

Welcome to the club.

Jerry
Jerry,

...and I'm just getting started - more to follow!!!

CG
Old Sunday 25th March 2018, 14:20   #405
cycleguy

Had the binoculars out viewing around the neighborhood, an environment rich with perpendicular and parallel lines: horizontal and vertical siding, rectangular windows and doors, mullions and muntins and panels, brick coursing, fence picket and rail, and so on. Of the 4 the swarovski had the least pin cushion distortion. It was similar to the Zeiss but a smidgen less. The Leica and Maven a noticeable step to being more traditional in this regard. I tend to prefer less pincushion in the man made environment and more in the non man made environment; on this criteria my preference seems to be conditional. So, no winner here.

CG

Last edited by cycleguy : Sunday 25th March 2018 at 14:26.
Old Sunday 13th May 2018, 21:18   #406
cycleguy

Hi All,

First hike of the season and took the CL 8x30's along. Had the strap on and the binocular dangling about my neck. About 3 miles and only used them a couple of times. Not much to report here....

Second hike of the season and took the CL 8x30's along. This time w/o strap and carried them in the outer pocket of my day pack; this is my preferred way to hike with binoculars. Went 10.5 miles mostly on dry/wet trails, but did have to use trail crampons for about 2.5 miles at higher elevations where the trails were still covered in snow. Had the binoculars out on 3 occasions for about 15 to 20 minutes per occasion. 1st viewing was of 200+ head of elk from 30 to 80 yards laying/grazing in a large valley. Lighting conditions must have been pretty difficult as there was a haze that blew in from Arizona forest fires and some snow covered areas were still on the ground and reflecting light. Was amused by a Magpie that perched atop the head of a cow which she didn't seem to mind the company. Views were showing considerable glare and CA off axis and not so far off axis. Didn't have anything on hand to compare it to, but suspect other glass wouldn't be much different. 2nd viewing was of a group of four bulls with antler starting back and covered in velvet. Pretty much the same here but the haze was more distracting than anything. Third viewing was at a higher elevation lake and watched a Stellar Jay, Barn Swallow, and Crow among aspen trees with rippled water and lily pad just starting to poke thru the surface. These views were brilliant... the blues, blacks, and yellow color of the birds and the white grey black of the aspen trunks and branches and the unfocused rippled water as backdrop... if there was only a button to take a picture! Only complaint I have here is the view seemed flat and lacked 3D quality.... otherwise really nice views.

Well that is a typical hiking scenario for me. Walk a lot and view little but for a longer period of time (probably resting and catching my breath). My preference is to haul the extra size and weight of the x30/32 format and enjoy their comfort of use and forgo the pocket models.

On the down side unfortunately, the hinge end cap detached while I was using the binocular but was lucky enough to notice and was able to find the piece to reattach later. If you are wondering what it looks like under the end cap... well here's a pic.

CG
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Swaro CL.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	662473  

Last edited by cycleguy : Sunday 13th May 2018 at 21:22.
Old Friday 20th July 2018, 18:58   #407
aCuria

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy View Post
My preference is to haul the extra size and weight of the x30/32 format and enjoy their comfort of use and forgo the pocket models.

CG

Do you prefer your conquest 8x32 to the 8x30CLs? Which of the 4 bins do you like best?
Old Saturday 21st July 2018, 13:22   #408
cycleguy

I've been receiving this question from a few people. They are all very good binoculars!!!

Choosing which is best ... well there is no standout. You need to look at it as they are all very good with their own set of qualities (positive and negative). At times one will shine a bit more than the others, or shine a bit less - and it is always changing which one it is.

Your personal preferences will be the biggest deciding factor among them.

CG

Last edited by cycleguy : Saturday 21st July 2018 at 13:24.
Old Wednesday 12th September 2018, 04:11   #409
Arielelf

These sound quite amazing. I currently have a 10x42 SLC which I enjoy but have been hoping to find something smaller and with faster focusing for warbler seasons. Has anyone tried both and what would I be missing if I switched to the 10x30? I’m assuming detail in lower light but how noticeable would the difference be?

I bought my wife a conquest 8x32 hd a few years ago and was always extremely happy with the super sharp view except for the very cold dead colors which I couldn’t deal with. I’m hoping that this would be as good as the zeiss but with the nice swaro colors.
Old Wednesday 12th September 2018, 14:48   #410
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arielelf View Post
These sound quite amazing. I currently have a 10x42 SLC which I enjoy but have been hoping to find something smaller and with faster focusing for warbler seasons. Has anyone tried both and what would I be missing if I switched to the 10x30? I’m assuming detail in lower light but how noticeable would the difference be?

I bought my wife a conquest 8x32 hd a few years ago and was always extremely happy with the super sharp view except for the very cold dead colors which I couldn’t deal with. I’m hoping that this would be as good as the zeiss but with the nice swaro colors.

I don't think that switching to a 10x30 will help you as much as switching to an 8 power binocular will.

Keep your 10x42 SLC and get the Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B instead of another 10 power binocular. I have the Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B and it is a remarkably good binocular! By far the best 8x30/32 I have ever used! It is very sharp and its colors are first rate.

You will get greater Depth of Field and a wider Field of View using an 8x42 or an 8x30/32 for warbler season. As a result, your focusing will be more efficient when you are following the warblers through the foliage.

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Wednesday 12th September 2018 at 15:03.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 12th September 2018, 19:02   #411
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arielelf View Post
These sound quite amazing. I currently have a 10x42 SLC which I enjoy but have been hoping to find something smaller and with faster focusing for warbler seasons. Has anyone tried both and what would I be missing if I switched to the 10x30? Iím assuming detail in lower light but how noticeable would the difference be?

I bought my wife a conquest 8x32 hd a few years ago and was always extremely happy with the super sharp view except for the very cold dead colors which I couldnít deal with. Iím hoping that this would be as good as the zeiss but with the nice swaro colors.
Weird, I find the Conquest a bit on the warm side, colour-wise, a bit creamy whites but I'd never call the view cold, not even close.
Old Wednesday 12th September 2018, 22:03   #412
Arielelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by james holdsworth View Post
Weird, I find the Conquest a bit on the warm side, colour-wise, a bit creamy whites but I'd never call the view cold, not even close.
There must be quite a sample variation in the conquests because mine are nowhere near warm. Zeiss camera lenses are also very similar in that they tend to be on the cool side of neutral. I have read that they tend to favor blue light in their coatings because it increases the sense of brightness. Tvs Iím ahowrooms also bump up blue light levels to make th screens seem brighter, which consumers seem to like.

The only zeiss Iíve ever used that did not have a cool cast is an 8x32 terra that I bought for my father in law. It had a slightly warm cast and amazing optics for the price.
Old Wednesday 12th September 2018, 22:12   #413
Arielelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
I don't think that switching to a 10x30 will help you as much as switching to an 8 power binocular will.

Keep your 10x42 SLC and get the Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B instead of another 10 power binocular. I have the Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 B and it is a remarkably good binocular! By far the best 8x30/32 I have ever used! It is very sharp and its colors are first rate.

You will get greater Depth of Field and a wider Field of View using an 8x42 or an 8x30/32 for warbler season. As a result, your focusing will be more efficient when you are following the warblers through the foliage.

Bob
Yes I realize that an 8x42/30 would give me a wider fov over a 10x but I enjoy the extra magnification. I canít justify 2 alphas for myself. Iím just curious if the seemingly magic 10x30 cl b is as easy to the eye as a 10x42 SLC? The SLC has a very slow focusing mechanism.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: