• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

common/pallid swifts and a couple of other birds in Skiathos, Greece (1 Viewer)

jsab500

Hi,

My second thread about my recent holiday with the family to Skiathos (13-20th May), the other's about warblers. The pictures obviously aren't very good, but I think that the swifts, in order, are common, pallid (due to rounded tail and slightly rounded wings), and pallid (due to scaly appearance underneath. What do you think?

Also, there are two other pictures, about which I have absolutely no idea! Any help would be much appreciated. I'm afraid I no other information about either of them, as I only noticed them after going back through my pictures... Sorry if the quality of picture and information is just too low.

Thanks very much,
James

Attachments

• swift 1.JPG
    swift 1.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 186
  • swift_2.JPG
    swift_2.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 158
  • swift_3.JPG
    swift_3.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 175
  • unsure_1.JPG
    unsure_1.JPG
    243.7 KB · Views: 191
  • unsure_2.JPG
    unsure_2.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 201
i think 1 and 3 are pallid, 2 possibly also but could also be common.
4 is a female black-headed bunting.
5 juv long-tailed tit.

thank you, those two were really irritating me! I did think of juvenile long-tailed tit, but decided it didn't look enough like the pictures, but yes I guess it couldn't be anything else now. I saw a couple of other black headed buntings, but never would have identified that as the female without assitance, thanks!

1 - looks like Common Swift, 2 - could well be Pallid given the blunt wing tips but I wouldn't be dogmatic, 3 - Pallid Swift - given the date it's surely too early for it to be a juv. Common (incubation is c20 days & fledging 42-45 giving a total of two months or so) and although some adults arrive in Greece in March, most do so in mid-April. 4 - Black-headed Bunting & 5 probably Long-tailed Tit though it's hard to see detail.

#5 looks more like some kind of juvenile bunting to me due to the (suggested) bill shape and the pattern of the undertail. Probably juv. Rock Bunting (which has a long tail).
This is what the undertail of a juv Long-tailed Tit looks like:
http://www.raywilsonbirdphotography...11/May_2011/2011-05-15_MG_5459_Long-t_Tit.jpg
Despite the bad quality of the photo, the undertail would thus appear very different.

I agree that #3 definitely shows a Pallid Swift.
For #1-2 better photos (in better light) would be needed, I guess.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back