• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your pick, best bino harness you came to? (1 Viewer)

There is a design conflict for these harnesses.
Anything snug enough to hold the binoculars tight while bouncing around in an ATV will also be tight enough to chafe while squirming through the brush. So I've eliminated chest harnesses from consideration, after repeated disappointments.
An effective design would be easily cinched tight when needed, but otherwise relaxed. It should also be easy to wear and compatible with both heavy winter as well as lightweight summer clothing.
The various suspender type harnesses are good for comfort in my experience, but are a bother to put on and don't handle ATV rides well.
A belt clip with a shoulder strap seems to be favored by the big lens crowd, but I've not seen any such offering aimed at binocular users.
New ideas are needed.

Have you used the RY harness in the situations you've described? I'm guessing you haven't. I have many ,many times and the RY harness plain works.

Have you used the RY harness in the situations you've described? I'm guessing you haven't. I have many ,many times and the RY harness plain works.

You are quite right, I've not used a RY harness.
That is largely because it seems too skinny to me. I question how comfortable it would be carrying a Canon 10x42. If someone with experience carrying a heavy glass using a RY could comment, it would be very helpful.

etudiant:

I regularly use the RYO with a 33 oz binocular (Maven 9x45) and find it quite comfortable.

I have occasionally used it with a 40 oz binocular (Canon 15x45), but that was at night under cold conditions where I had many layers so I am not sure how it would be for extended time in only shirt sleeves. I did notice that at 40 oz, the weight stretched the harness cord a bit more which made it a bit more bouncy when I moved. I ended up not keeping the RYO on the Canon because while observing at night I don't wear my binocular for long periods, and even in the harness it is in the way using a telescope.

As is often the case, choice of harness is pretty subjective depending on the person, the activity, and the binocular. In the past I moved to wider neoprene straps for my astronomy binoculars so I was skeptical about the narrow cords of the RYO. But I found that at least for 33 oz and below, distributing the weight more evenly and to the shoulders rather than the neck makes all the difference. I also like that there are many ways to "deploy" the RYO harness, including putting an extra warp around the barrels of the binocular when you want to keep it close to your chest on the move. Rick Young has some videos demonstrating the different ways it can be worn.

Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back