• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Something to ponder... (1 Viewer)

10x50 Uv Hd+

This is my 10X50 I use for expansive areas for viewing and for the night sky. Viewing the red tail hawks the other day, going after each other, fun to watch. I could not be happier with it. I love the small size and at 1030 grams it's heavier than my 10X42s, but provides a very relaxing view.

Andy W.

Last edited:
Thanks Chuck for the clarification, the 32 looks nice, however I have more use lately for 8X42 or 10X 42-50 formats. I bet the SV 10X50 is a nice glass for astro, Scopeviews ranks them highly.

Andy W.
The 10x50 SV is Roger Vine's favorite binocular.

Last edited:
This is my 10X50 I use for expansive areas for viewing and for the night sky. Viewing the red tail hawks the other day, going after each other, fun to watch. I could not be happier with it. I love the small size and at 1030 grams it's heavier than my 10X42s, but provides a very relaxing view.

Andy W.
Here is a new good review on the Leica Ultravid HD Plus 10x50.

http://scopeviews.co.uk/Leica10x50HDPlus.htm

Last edited:

Andy W.

Sweet. If I could have just one bino for the rest of my life, this is it.
I would have to wear contact lenses however - which I do anyway when I engage in such activities.

I just went to Cabela's for another 1hr demo session. Was only able to demo the Swarovski 10x32, 10x42, 12x50 (I want 8x32 or 8.5x42 though).
Out of these 3, the 10x32 was best all around.
10x42 - very narrow FOV. I was looking at some black-capped chickadees 50-70yds away and felt like I couldn't track them hopping from tree branch to tree branch. 10x32 even at closer range I could tell the FOV was wider. Didn't try the 12x50 at this range.
Cabela's associate had their range finder out and we spotted 2 crows 400yds away. Again I felt like the 10x32 was best for me at this range. 12x50 didn't give me the boost in magnification I was hoping it would, and they're massive compared to 10x32.

I just went to Cabela's for another 1hr demo session. Was only able to demo the Swarovski 10x32, 10x42, 12x50 (I want 8x32 or 8.5x42 though).
10x42 - very narrow FOV. I was looking at some black-capped chickadees 50-70yds away and felt like I couldn't track them hopping from tree branch to tree branch. 10x32 even at closer range I could tell the FOV was wider. Didn't try the 12x50 at this range.
Cabela's associate had their range finder out and we spotted 2 crows 400yds away. Again I felt like the 10x32 was best for me at this range. 12x50 didn't give me the boost in magnification I was hoping it would, and they're massive compared to 10x32.

SB,

BTW, Welcome to BF (better late than never)! :hi:

Great you were able to make some hands\eyes on comparisons! From all the testimony I've read here and on other forums, the EL 10X32 SV Is a wonderful 10X format with a wide FOV (360ft). If you don't wear glasses and don't really need the extreme low light binos (only a 3.2 EP), these lightweight 10X32s would be a great investment in a compact instrument!

The EL 10X50 SVs would be the same size\weight as the 12X50s you experienced, but with a larger EP (easier eye placement\brighter in low light needs) and displaying possibly less hand shake! If you can, keep up the observation\comparison activities to ensure you get what works best for You! :t:

Ted

Ted-
Thanks, now I need to find a retailer in Minneapolis area that has 8x32 and 8.5x42. In your opinion, would there be much low light differences from 8x32 & 10x32? 30 minutes after sunset, is this even noticeable?

Ted-
Thanks, now I need to find a retailer in Minneapolis area that has 8x32 and 8.5x42. In your opinion, would there be much low light differences from 8x32 & 10x32? 30 minutes after sunset, is this even noticeable?

SB,

From what I've "read" about the "Swaro EL SV FP" series (never used a 10X32 SV), owners\users don't notice much loss of light between the 8X32 and the 10X32, even at deep dusk. Generally, ease of eye placement (do you wear glasses) and shaking hands should be less of an issue with the 8X32. In 8X vs 10X, greater EP-exit pupil (4.0 vs 3.2) better accommodates low-light dilated pupils and lower power provides less handshake and gives steadier views!

Ted

The 10X32 SV is a great glass for sure. It's a little more difficult for me to use with eyeglasses or I'd still have it.

The SV 10X42 DOES have a smaller FOV than the 10X42. 330ft vs. 360ft as Ted mentioned. It's still quite good for it's class.

When those chickadees are hopping from limb to limb 20-30 FEET away, the 8X will come in handy and will be easier to follow them.

12X50....you'll seem more difference of course with the 8X vs. 12X.

SB,

The EL 10X50 SVs would be the same size\weight as the 12X50s you experienced, but with a larger EP (easier eye placement\brighter in low light needs) and displaying possibly less hand shake! If you can, keep up the observation\comparison activities to ensure you get what works best for You! :t:

Ted

Correct.. interesting point.

I think 10 works best with 50mm and 8x best with 42mm.

If I got a 30 or 32mm, I would want 6x or 7x power, but that's just me.

10x42 - very narrow FOV. I was looking at some black-capped chickadees 50-70yds away and felt like I couldn't track them hopping from tree branch to tree branch. 10x32 even at closer range I could tell the FOV was wider.

Yes, this is a major reason my everyday bino is a 10x32 not 42. (My own taste runs to Leica here, but the same is true of FOV, 360 vs ~330 ft, depending on version.)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back